Weekly Menu Planning – August 2022

That David Kinch recipe sounds really interesting. Do you have an online source for the recipe? I searched, but couldn’t find it. I got all the ingredients to make a tian with tomatoes, squash, and eggplant at the farmers market and have several recipes I’m considering. This sounds like tian in a very interesting “crust.”

Your chili sounds great as do all your other meals. Enjoy your last week and a half of summer!

1 Like

Thank you!

The recipe seems to be available on this Google Books link - Vegetable “Tart” with Saffrom Mayonnaise

1 Like

Oh, thanks so much! I will adapt this. I did just order the cookbook At Home in the Kitchen from the minuteman library network and your link gives me a head start. I have David Kinch’s Manresa cookbook, which I purchased aspirationally when it came out. I used to live in the area of Calif., well, north of there, and really miss it.

My husband and son and I went to the Boston Public Market for my birthday lunch last week. It was a Wednesday, and not that many people there. We were the only people in the indoor market wearing masks, which was not what I was hoping for. Oh well. We live in Somerville so it was a short drive to the BPM. Parking $3 for three hours in the garage there. I had the fried oysters at Reds and loved them; split them with my husband. Son had fish and chips that he really like. Very reasonably priced. The market itself kind of sad with not great vegetables at the peak of summer harvest.

Oops, I may be hijacking the thread. thanks again for the recipe link!

8 Likes

You’re welcome! I hope you enjoy it if you make it!

I’m working through pantry and freezer and CSA bits and I think I have everything on hand for this. I’m going to sub ground turkey and looking forward to trying this after a camping adventure. Thanks for the post!

1 Like

Belated happy birthday wishes Madrid!

5 Likes

Appreciate these details! I will definitely be making it. I want to try it with those squared-off Chinese mein.

Hello everyone it’s another glorious summer day although a tad hot in the sun. When I went to pick up lunch today I stayed in the shade and the temperature was comfortable. Today’s take out lunch is a combination meal from a local Thai restaurant - crispy wontons to start then chicken curry, mango salad and rice as the main course. Dessert isn’t included but I anticipate I will be too full by the time I finish eating. Cooking for a singleton in Ottawa, Canada:

Tonight: Greek salad for dinner since I usually get take-out for lunch on Fridays.

Saturday: usually take out night but I am living dangerously and switching things up this week 🙂 I will have a salade nicoise for dinner tonight and pick up take out while I am at the market tomorrow.

Sunday: market day. I get a CSA during the summer months so I’m set for fruits and veggies but I need some missing ingredients for meals this week. There are two Eastern European delis on my route so I may pick up some cabbage rolls or something I wouldn’t normally make myself and if all else fails the Italian grocer has some awesome store-made porchetta and lasagnas. I’m sure I won’t starve 🙂

Monday: corn risotto

Tuesday: chicken broccoli stirfry https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-and-broccoli-stir-fry/

Wednesday: one pork chop left in the freezer so pork lo mein again. This will be the last time I will have it for awhile so I can move on to some of the other meats I have in the freezer. https://www.seriouseats.com/stir-fried-lo-mein-noodles…

Thursday: fettucine al pesto, garden fresh corn salad on the side. https://cookieandkate.com/garden-fresh-corn-salad/

This week’s lunches will alternate between smoked ham potato tomato salad and roasted cauliflower and farro with feta and avocado. https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-cauliflower-and-farro…/

Have a nice weekend everyone.

13 Likes

Looks and sounds so good!

2 Likes

It is! The farm I get my CSA from sends us a weekly newsletter on Monday mornings and they always include a recipe that calls for one or more of the veggies they grow. Last year they included that recipe in one of their newsletters when the cauliflower was in season. I’ve made it a few times and it’s really good!

4 Likes

Here’s that salad link as a direct one (without the Facebook routing) https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-cauliflower-and-farro-salad-with-feta-and-avocado/

3 Likes

Thank you!

Actuals for Aug 15 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Read “and fresh cherries” with meals M-Th and “with fresh apples” Fri - Sun. The batch of Rainier cherries I splurged on early in the week were outstanding. And my favorite orchard posted online that, although they’re not yet open for general visits, the early apple variety “Pristine” harvest was ready for purchase, by appointment. I drove 40 minutes each-way for a bag of these tasty apples - crisp, slightly tart, with thin yellow skin. They’re not ones that can be stored for more than a couple of weeks, so it’s an apple (or 2) a day this next week.

Mon - light dinner since lunch was a huge brunch OUT, with friends
Tues - Chicken & egg salad sandwiches on whole wheat, potato chips, red grapes
Wed - Pork tenderloin rubbed with Herbs de Provence, cheesy rice (Knorr’s “rissoto”), salad
Thurs - reheated Pork tenderloin , cheesy rice, deviled eggs, fresh peaches
Fri - lunch - Mushroom Swiss burgers, tomatoes, potato chips. dinner - Sheet pan quesadilla square, half-recipe in countertop oven small-sized sheet pan. Recipe is in description below video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w0IphAmXT8 topped with salsa, sour cream and sliced ripe olives
Sat -On the back deck (since noisy fire station construction on the corner is M-F only, 7 AM - 7 PM) Seafood (shrimp/surimi) Newberg (Joy of Cooking 1977 edition) over Veggie Rotini noodles, corn on the cob.
No-Bake Hershey’s chocolate pie, using crushed graham cracker w melted butter crust
Sun - (today) - Baked curry cod, over coconut rice. Peas. Chocolate pie.

12 Likes

Rainier cherries are the absolute best, and always worth a splurge!

2 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga. Today’s one of those days when I’m trying to catch up on all the stuff that didn’t get done while I was out of town. Thank heavens for the slow cooker!
Sunday, August 21 (today): Lamb and chorizo chili (in the slow cooker) with biscuits I found in the freezer
Monday: Having friends over. Will grill lamb with mango salsa and serve with a broccoli rabe-bulgur dish; chocolate layer cake for dessert.
Tuesday: First day of classes for DH. Will make a simple omelet with Caesar salad on the side.
Wednesday: Coconut rice noodles from Dinner
Thursday: TBD; probably something in Nashville on our way to the airport (we’re going to visit our Boston-based daughter)
Friday: We have reservations at Oleana, which I’m very excited about!
Have a great week, everyone, and happy cooking!

13 Likes

It’s a beautiful August weekend in the Twin Cities.

We just got home from visiting a few spots on a pottery tour and now I need to do something with the many veggies I couldn’t resist at the farmers market.

Saturday potluck with friends Basil cantaloupe mozzarella salad
Sunday (today). Pizza night Hatch Green Chile Pie & Outdoor Pizza Oven Burst Cherry Tomato, Shallot, and Herb Pizza & Peach Crumble Pie
Monday BLTS and corn
Tuesday Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple
Wednesday pasta with pesto and salad
Thursday off to our cabin for the weekend
I’ll probably bring a premade quiche for breakfasts, some of the remaining vegetables and pull out some meat from the freezer for easy meals.

Hope you all have a great week!

14 Likes

Sounds great all around, and sending you best wishes from Boston for your visit with your daughter. If I remember correctly, your daughter in Boston is vegetarian. We are most vegetarian in our house, but one of my most favorite restaurant dishes of all time is the Oleana Sultana’s delight beef mezze. We also love the deviled eggs with the tuna, the falafel, and that topik appetizer, vegan, we got via take out last year. Fantastic.

We are in a drought here so I hope you can sit outside in the garden with the fairy lights. So enchanting.

4 Likes

Heading back into the classroom full-time tomorrow (plus additional online teaching). Masks are still required, but the vaccine requirement was dropped. I am… not happy about this. Hopefully I’ll feel better once in the room with the college kids.

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Probably chocolate chip scones. I started baking my breakfasts during the early days of the pandemic. My goal is to keep it up.

S: takeout - Burritos (Chile verde with beans)

Su (tonight): Shrimp tacos (onions, peppers, cheese, avocado) - seafood

M: Chicken cordon bleu (from freezer) with sourdough and garlicky spinach. A decadent meal after a long first day.

T: Potstickers (purchased) in broth with veggies.

W: Green chile Mac n cheese - vegetarian

Th: TJs chicken tamales with beans

F: Perhaps trying the beef from this recipe? - https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020046-beef-short-rib-rice-bowls - with rice and veggies

Have a good week!

12 Likes

All the best for the launch of your Fall semester! May you and your students remain healthy.
Yes to vaxx and masks!

5 Likes

I’m here posting actuals! Hope everyone is well, and not feeling the Monday blahs. Lulu starts school tomorrow (junior year … insane), and LLD will be teaching this semester, so I am hoping for some semblance of normalcy. Here’s what we ate/cooked:

Sunday: carry out

Monday: West Indian fish hash, zucchini salad. Tasty, but not sure I’d repeat.

Tuesday: my whole “I’m being laid back thing” got tested, and worked! Lulu had a friend over, and we weren’t sure if she’d be eating with us or not, so I made extra. She didn’t end up staying, but this meant we had a full dinners worth and I just needed to reheat on Thursday. It was wonderful! Meal was Smitten Kitchen’s stuffed eggplant parmesan with ciabatta rolls.

Wednesday: sushi carryout feast

Thursday: leftovers from Tuesday. Lulu thought she’d be working that evening, but the event was canceled (that’s me rolling with it twice!)

Friday: Smitten Kitchen’s bulgogi tacos. Holy cow these are good! If you haven’t made them, do so.

Saturday: LLD was leaving early the next morning for a conference in LA, so Lulu stepped up and cooked dinner. Goat cheese tart with homemade pesto and a snap pea and cucumber salad. It was fantastic.

Sunday: the meal that didn’t get made on Thursday, my forgiving/can be put off meal, got made: beans and greens a la vodka, served over farfalle. Lots leftover, since LLD is away, and will make great lunches for L during the week.

Monday: tonight we’ll do carry out

Wishing everyone a great week!

18 Likes