Weekly Menu Planning April 2023

Being on strike is no fun, hope that it’s over soon! Glad you are feeling better: been an eventful week for you!

4 Likes

oh my what a week! I hope everyone is okay, especially your older child with the crash, and that the sump pumps hold up!. I love the

not sure if we will have the behavioral energy for that

I’m chaperoning 26 6-8 year olds with knives on their feet.

So recognize in myself “not having behavioral energy” so I am definitely borrowing this phrase, which my two other family members will be able to use as well.

As for the second, we are based in Boston and went to Newport, RI, some years ago when we needed to leave the house for a few days for home repairs. It was the week between Christmas and New Years and we had no idea that Newport was the site of many, many hockey competitions. I discovered the shock of entering a hotel elevator with about 17 probably under 6 year olds all brandishing miniature hockey sticks with intent to use whenever possible. They didn’t have the knives on their feet, yet, but as a group, they were quite intimidating to someone with 3 joint replacements and seemingly no supervision, while also being adorable.

9 Likes

My cousin sent me a package of 8 types for Christmas.

It is possible to order them online.

Rancho Gordo ships to Canada via FedEx.

6 Likes

Your lunch today sounds amazing!

Hope work settles down.

2 Likes

If anyone wants to pop in, there’s an Ottolenghi thread (it’s their 20th anniversary)

Iirc several of his books were COTMs over on CH.

5 Likes

Yikes! Last year you had the truckers strike and now its your turn. I hope it’s a short lived and fruitful work action for you. Take care!

4 Likes

Hi, everyone. The mom/kid NYC trip was a blast! Lots of walking, lots of theater, and some “only in NY moments” including a chess match in the park and a surprising encounter with a food truck event (labeled Smorgasburg) at lunchtime where there were easily 20 different cuisines from all over the world. DS also tried fried calamari at dinner when the ladies at the neighboring table offered us some. He didn’t like it, but he tried it! My favorite eats of the trip were the empanadas from one of the food trucks, and the everything bagel from Modern Bagels. For the latter, I now get the hype… a GF bagel that tastes like a regular one? Totally worth it! (Senza Gluten, the Italian restaurant near Washington Square, was good food but not amazing.)

And now, back to real life… I’m still working on the grocery list so there are some gaps here, mostly on the accompanying vegetables.

Sun: chicken enchiladas (Ina Garten)

Mon: turkey/ricotta meatballs (I think originally from Small Victories) as sliders, side tbd. (I might try using Brazilian pao de queijo as my bread…?)

Tues: old school tacos, refried beans

Weds: Korean steak bowls
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/korean-style-grain-bowls-with-spicy-marinated-steak (no kimchee or fried eggs)

Thurs: Monday’s meatballs but with pasta

Fri: leftovers - possibly enchiladas for everyone if there’s enough

14 Likes

As a fellow union member, I send solidarity. Glad you’re feeling better.

5 Likes

Despite a brief warming trend, I want hearty, comfort food. Oops.

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Chocolate chip scones, most likely

S:(tonight) takeout - Grilled chicken sandwich from pub on the corner for me, pepperoni flatbread for him (truly, he could eat pizza for every meal.)

Su: Pasta with white bolognese sauce

M: Fried eggs and potatoes, based on this technique - https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023911-fried-eggs-and-potatoes. Will add onions and peppers. Our vegetarian meal of the week, unless I give into the temptation to add any leftover sausage from Sunday.

T: Chicken quesadillas with guacamole

W: Chicken, stuffing with gravy, peas

Th: Shrimp with TJs palak paneer and garlic naan - seafood.

F: BBQ chicken, green chile macaroni and cheese

Have a good week!

13 Likes

Two in the damp and rainy Berkshires or so they are predicting for the rest of the week.
Our monster refrigerator with freezer on the side is in DNR mode, the freezer is only working on the top shelves and the fridge is on its way out. We had a professional site visit and are getting ready to buy a new one but not quite yet. So I am shopping for a few days at a time with no extras for the freezer. I actually like it.
Friday was cheeseburger and salad
Saturday marinated chicken breast from the butcher counter, swiss chard and cheesy grits
Sunday ham steak, stovetop mac and cheese and roasted broccoli and cauliflower florets
Monday burgers with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and zucchini
Tuesday tortellini and cherry tomato stovetop casserole and salad
Wednesday sword fish and scrounge for ,me, Tuesday leftovers for DH, both salad
Thursday back to the store
Leftover ham for ham salad lunches and westerns

14 Likes

Great meals! Good luck with your fridge situation.

1 Like

Good luck, Ginny! It’s inspiring that you can actually do OK the refrigerator/freezer situation! I can identify with that…by necessity, shop only for what is necessary. Can be very freeing at times. We had our refrigerator go out, no repair remotely possible, in peak summer a few years ago. when we were out of town for a few days. It was 25 plus years old. Not a pretty sight, or smell…

The really old appliances lasted a long time, the newer ones (as I can say at age 67) in the last few decades, not so long.

We had chopped steak at local pub with mushroom gravy a few days ago, with mashed potatoes. I am remembering my childhood favorite, chopped beef, at a K&W cafeteria decades ago. I’m not much of meat eater now, but when I eat beef, that is so good to me. All of your sides are comfort food for me.

Best wishes from Boston/Somerville.

6 Likes

I’m back! Acknowledging my weekly meal plans don’t quite come to fruition as planned, I have a rough sketch in my mind and adapt all week based on circumstances, how I’m feeling, and what my dining partner has a taste for each day.

This week’s breakfasts: sourdough discard crumpets (technically pikelets since I don’t have rings) with butter and jam, fried eggs with dinner leftovers, and oatmeal with peanut butter.

Lunches/Dinners:
-sliced hot dogs stir fried with asparagus, mushrooms and onions. This might sound a little odd but if we don’t have any chicken apple sausages available, hot dogs are actually quite tasty with stir fried veggies like this. To us, anyway. We’ll eat it over rice.
-Caesar salad with some frozen chicken nuggets. Maybe put it into a tortilla for Caesar salad wraps.
-kimchi chorizo fried rice
-lemony kale salad, maybe with a can of tuna or sardines or chickpeas on top
-sourdough pizza with mushrooms, onions, olives (my side) and hot dogs, onions, spinach, mushrooms (my husbands side)
-refried bean and cheese quesadillas
-olive oil braised chickpeas with quinoa
-roasted chicken thighs with side of roasted veggies

14 Likes

DH would love it if I stir-fried some hot dogs, and he’d be all over that half of the hot-dog pizza.

4 Likes

I love hot dogs! But they are too fatty and salty for me to eat them often - I don’t feel great afterwards if I indulge too much. My husband doesn’t seem to have that issue so he’ll eat them anytime!

1 Like

That’s about the same here. I do most of the cooking, so we don’t have them often. Anytime he’s on his own for a hot meal, hot dogs are the top choice (along with bacon and eggs).

2 Likes

So nice to hear from you!
We knew 10 years ago when we bought this old house that the appliances were old but sturdy so after the washing machine and the oven died the fridge was next!
Now I want to make a vat of American Chop Suey!
Maybe when the Appalachian Trail gets busy I will contribute some to the local hospitality meal providers.

5 Likes

Kimchi chorizo fried rice sounds so good!! Honestly so do the quesadillas :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hola, People.

Spring is here, bringing more and more fresh greens from the garden, along with creeping thoughts of Cinco De Mayo. I’ve never really noted that holiday in a culinary way, but am planning on doing a few dishes this year.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Scallion roast chicken. Leftover champ potatoes. Baby garden peas.

SAT: White pizza with asparagus, basil and olives. Green salad.

SUN: Asian green-salad with grilled beef, asparagus, and baby spinach.

MON: Quiche – I’m thinking something along the lines of Green Goddess flavors: fresh tarragon and chives. Green salad.

TUE: Pasta with mushrooms and leftover scallion chicken. Garden greens.

WED: Bibimbap with asparagus.

THUR: An early start to Cinco De Mayo. Pork butt carnitas. Red rice. Homemade refries and tortillas.

FRI: Cheesy nachos with pickled scallions and peppers. Salsa, guacamole and refries on the side. Albondigas. If that’s not enough (I think it will be) there will be leftover carnitas, tortillas and red rice. Mexican wedding cookies for sweets. Margaritas for me; Mexican Coke for him.

15 Likes

We’re still in kitchen chaos. It’s possible the fitters may finish today but I think it’s going to run into tomorrow which means another couple of days takeaway. Then we need to get everything out of the boxes and back into the kitchen. But, there should be a brief window to do a bit of cooking, before the decorator arrives (hopefully) on Tuesday, after the bank holiday.

So:-

Saturday - prawn cocktail. Roast chicken, asparagus, Jersey Royal spuds. Cheese. Berries & ice cream#

Sunday - chilli, sweet potato

Monday - lamb fillet, more Jerseys, peas (frozen), mint sauce.

12 Likes