Weekly Meal Planning - Sept - Dec 2019

I’m pretty sure my Mom invented the word meadle. She also invented the dish, although she wasn’t first. Mom was not a cookbook person. She made a lot of things up. I must have taken after her as I invented calculus in 1975, admittedly three hundred years after Newton or Leibniz (depending on which version of mathematical history you prefer). I also had the benefit of printed graph paper. Cheating I guess. I digress. I may have invented the potato chip and ketchup sandwich in 1968; I don’t recommend it.

4 Likes

I pre-date you by a couple of years or thereabouts. The British alternative claim is the HP sauce and crisp (chip) sandwich.

4 Likes

I don’t claim a unique invention, merely that I did it without copying anyone. I don’t think either of us has much to be proud of in that regard. I now think that crisps belong alongside the sandwich and not in them.

Now about napkins… grin

Ah, there speaks a man who has never tried a cheese, carrot and crisp sandwich. Needs to be a mature cheddar (or similar) grated with a little grated carrot for a touch of sweetness, topped with a generous portion of crisps (cheese & onion flavour for perfection. Supermarket sliced white for the bread, of course.

4 Likes

I did find a source for Coastal cheddar at your recommendation. Always have carrot. I’m sure I can dig out a packet of crisps from the back of the deep pantry that isn’t too old. Supermarket white bread (a la Wonder Bread in the US) is a stretch. What would I do with the rest of the loaf? It will have to be sourdough and I’ll extrapolate the experience.

1 Like

Bacon or sausage sandwiches. No other bread is suitable.

We do actually keep a loaf in the freezer just for this purpose.

2 Likes

Thursday - sausages (farmers market), mashed spuds, onion gravy. Red Leicester cheese for afters

Friday - Lancashire hotpot. As traditional a dish as you like - lamb, onion, carrot, potato, stock (although Mum never did anythin fancy like putting carrot in it)

Saturday - Celeriac remoulade. Roast pork, roast spuds, red cabbage, apple sauce. Sticky toffee pudding (farmers market purchase) & custard

1 Like

This week:

I just need coconut milk for the curry…

3 Likes

YUM to the whole week!

1 Like

Weds - haddock (this recipe - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/10/dinner-tonight-cod-with-tarragon-anchovy-breadcrumbs-recipe.html )

Thurs - braised steak, baked potato, something green

Fri - pasta puttanesca

Sat - potted shrimps, pork chops with pears and perry, spuds & veg to be decided, plum compote

Sun - out for lunch, so something light for dinner. Celeriac & walnut remoulade with air dried ham (towards the bottom of this page - http://www.eyeslikeplates.com/2004/07/nigel-slaters-summer-salads/ )

2 Likes

Monday - brown gloop from the freezer. We’ve two small portions of casseroles. Chickpea & chorizo. And lamb & butterbean. We’ll mix the two and have with bread.

Tuesday - out

Wednesday - Cumberland sausage, dates & pancetta (final recipe on this link - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/12/nigel-slater-christmas-side-recipes-potatoes-onion-gravy) , with a butternut squash and red onion gratin (second recipe on this link - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/nov/09/nigel-slater-squash-recipes)

Thursday - beef stew, dumplings

Friday - smoked haddock, new potatoes, peas

Saturday - tapas (to be determined - but we have frozen ham croquettes and tinned stuffed peppers , both from Lidl during one of their “spanish weeks”. Chicken breasts baked with prunes, capers and olives. Potatoes Nicoise (this or similar - https://twofatvegetarians.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/recipe-potatoes-nicoise/ ) & something green.

3 Likes

We’re starting on the pre-Christmas clearing out of the freezer, starting with the brown gloop drawer.

Monday - beef pie bought at a farm shop today. Tin of celery hearts to accompany. Cheese for afters - cheddar and Caerphilly, together with soem fruit.

Tuesday - a couple of brown (or beige) gloop to share. One is a macaroni, cheese, courgette & bacon. The other pork and mushroom pasta.

Wednesday - out. A favourite local bistro.

Thursday - red wine sauce to be defrosted and to go with chicken. To accompany - steamed grated root vegetables - leek, carrot & swede.

Friday - sharwama (shreds of lamb frozen from last time we roasted a leg (or was it shoulder). It’ll get tossed in olive oil and a shawarma spice mix from the Turkish shop and then quickly fried. There’s khobez bread, jars of pickles and it’ll just need a finely diced salad - red pepper, red onion, cucumber, radish.

3 Likes

Here’s the plan until Thanksgiving, when we head to the Midwest to visit family:

Tonight’s the amchur chicken and we’ll figure it out from there, tackling perishables first.

3 Likes

Sounds wonderful, I’ll be over & bring wine! Pie too! Key Lime ok? :yum:

1 Like

I tried to “like” more than once and it cancelled out the “like”. SW engineers should spiffy up this site. In the meantime: :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Love Tzatziki and love feta!! Greco in Boston serves the best tzatziki and also has smushed up feta/sriracha “sauce”. They want to set up a bed for me in the back I’m there so often.

2 Likes

Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on how you see it) for me, meal planning is which restaurant I am going to dinner (or getting take-out from)… and that would be cheating, but I love hearing all of your ideas

I’m still digging those tortillas! I froze a few pkgs to no ill effect and have stopped buying other brands. They are so flavorful and well made.

1 Like

May be, but the filling of duck meat, cilantro, red onion, grilled corn, salsa verde and lime is what got my mouth watering.

1 Like

And Yes it was an outstanding combo repeated many x’s :yum:.
The duck fat tortilla heated beforehand makes it killer.

1 Like