Weekly Meal Planning - Sept - Dec 2019

Fall planning has begun, let’s continue the weekly fun!

As @ChristinaM states beautifully:
Either something is cobbled together from fridge and pantry, snacks are inhaled over the sink, or takeout saves the night. It happens.

But then there are days when all the pieces just fall into place. When careful planning is brought to fruition with exciting, balanced, varied menus and plenty of leftovers for future meals. Who wouldn’t like more of that?

This discussion is for the planners and aspiring planners among us. What dinners do you have on tap this week? If you have recipe links, feel free to share them. And because life rarely follows a script, how your good intentions work themselves out in reality can be reported in the “What’s for Dinner” thread.

So, what meals do you have in mind? Post a whole week or as many meals as you have figured out.

2 Likes

Lunch meals this week:
Tues-handful of cashews, kani salad
Wed-leftover lamb stuffed mini peppers
Thurs-egg burrito
Fri-grilled cheese and apple sandwich on rye
Sat-grilled avocado stuffed with crab salad

Dinner meals this week:
Tues-fried egg sandwich
Wed-rice noodles with broccoli and chicken stir fry
Thurs-grilled salmon salad with lemon dressing
Fri-shrimp cocktail, cheese and fruit board
Sat-lamb burgers, bulgar salad

Sunday heading to MA for a few days. My meals when the spouse is on biz travel tend to be quick, clean and minimal. Not a cookbook opened this week. More complex when the home fires burn for more than one. Planning ahead helps me use up food before it enters expiration territory.

R

4 Likes

I just tried to post a week of meals, and I just couldn’t. Three days out is as far as my mind stretches. Dinner party coming up on Sunday. Other than that, it’s bits and pieces of what’s on hand and what flits through my mind.

Grade for course: F

1 Like

Don’t be so hard on yourself. The thread was to encourage all ideas, on any day of the week.

Inspiring: A+

3 Likes

You can post retrospectively too - what the week was.

Ha, ha… we could caption it “WHAT was I thinking!”

4 Likes

Ideas for this week (mostly using with what’s in my fridge and freezer already):

• Salmon and vegetable (green) tagine.

• Chard and onion panade (Zuni).

• [Harissa] pork loin with roasted broccoli and melting potatoes (modified kit)

• Curried lentil, tomato, and coconut soup with zucchini (Ottolenghi)

• Lamb something (couldn’t resist boneless NZ lamb on sale at WF) - maybe biryani? Though I don’t really have time for that, so I may just marinate the meat and freeze it.

3 Likes

Following along and was about to post,wanna start a fall thread or should I post here. First timer :wink:

1 Like

I’ll defer to @ChristinaM, but @rooster if you want to start a new thread, the mods can move my post over :grimacing:

I’ll defer to @ChristinaM as well. No rush.

Please go ahead!

1 Like

I like this thread (is it a new idea as I can’t recall previous versions) .We always plan several days ahead. It’s a good way for us to budget rather than wander aimlessly round the supermarket. I may decide to post here, rather than on WFD .

Weds - out

Thurs - lamb osso buco as this recipe - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/05/nigel-slater-recipes-kitchen-diaries

Fri - pizza & salad (lunch is at a Michelin starred placed)

Sat - smoked mackerel remoulade, as this recipe - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/19/smoked-fish-recipes-nigel-slater . followed by roast chicken, roast spuds, veg, gravy. Dessert - cheat’s ice cream - frozen mixed berries & creme fraiche blitzed in ablender

Sun - pork & meatballs & lentils

Regular readers of WFD will not be surprised that there’s two Nigel Slater recipes in this. We’ve been cooking from his Kitchen Diaries books since about this time last year. It has meant that we’ve kept to a vaguely seasonal set of meals.

7 Likes

No, not a new idea. My first time posting on quarterly meal planning threads though.

I think of WFD and other threads where we post photos or share our daily meals as the result of meal planning.

3 Likes

I initially read this as “tend to be quick and criminal” :rofl:

1 Like

You’re funny. Your dinners are great!

Thanks for stepping up with the new topic, @Rooster, and very much welcome your input!

Just following your lead. :wink:

Great idea!

1 Like

I keep trying to post for this week and failing to get there, so here’s a quick snap of my menu-planning board:

2 Likes