Weekly Meal Planning - Sept - Dec 2019

Always up for a good meatloaf. Care to share your approach? I like your event filled plans!

Love black cod - very rich though. I used to be gifted large wet packs of fresh king and silver salmon as well as black cod and halibut from Alaska. Those were the days!!

2 Likes

Think Haddock is a very nice fish. So much better than pollock. I can’t handle tilapia due to its mushiness and muddy (to me) flavor.

How much is Haddock in your part of the world? I’m assuming it’s wild caught @tomatotomato

2 Likes

Yesterday we returned from five super relaxing fun days in MA. When with our son, most meals are out and we enjoyed quite a few food adventures but when we returned I was happy to get back in the kitchen and start prep’ing ingredients for the next few days as well as freezer stashing.

Today, I was reading the current WFD just as our NJ summer corn stash was defrosting and in need of a recipe. Thxs to the HO charmers over there, a corn pudding was quickly put together and will be accompanied by the bird I roasted earlier, grilled mini peppers and homemade bread. I spent most of the day cleaning, chopping, storing for these meal ideas…

Sunday-Gravy and spicy Italian sausage is on the stove.
Monday-seafood (shrimp and scallops) with rice pilaf and brocc rabe
Tuesday-homemade chicken soup
Wed-lamb burgers with feta slabs and tomato salad
Thurs-Pasta and broccoli with avocado-pesto
Fri-concert/bar bash/after show
Sat-concert bar bash/after show

My frig is organized and at the ready. Am I pleased with myself…lol…hell yeah.

R :medal_sports:

6 Likes

Yes, wild-caught. I’ll have to check on normal haddock prices. When we were eating more fish, we subscribed to a Community Supported Fishery (Cape Ann Fresh Catch of Gloucester, MA) so the pricing was part of that subscription. Though the pricing is not cheap ($15.00/lb.) for a 1 lb. fillet share, the fish came straight from a boat and filleting in Gloucester to a delivery site in our town. Mostly white-fleshed fish from the Gulf of Maine in those shares.

Until a couple weeks ago, my cooking was very limited by time so we haven’t had a fish share in awhile.

1 Like

Short week before a trip (one of an insane series this fall, nothing to be done). Just a bit of cooking to use up what’s in there fridge and freezer, with a focus is on clearing the fridge.

Weekend cooking (at my friend’s for a girls weekend / staycation):

• Cauliflower cheese paired with lemongrass brined chicken and some sick croutons/bread salad soaked in the chicken juices
  • Pizza with the kids using Lahey’s dough (I didn’t love the crust, might have been bec I parbaked it to make it easier for the kids and my absconding friends (one slept through till dinnertime and the other was out running errands)
  • Maple cream liqueur (from my recent trip to Canada) over ice cream for desserts

This week:

• Vietnamese caramel salmon (Andrea Nguyen), miso corn (freezer), steamed broccoli
  • Warm beets with yogurt, tahini, and preserved lemon (Ottolenghi), toast (leftover bread used for croutons), home cured salmon (freezer)
  • Lemongrass chicken and potato curry (frozen extra brined pieces), TBD veg, rice
4 Likes

I think my meal plan can wait and I will just join you. How does that sound, lol! Seriously, @Saregama very inspiring use of veg.

3 Likes

Come on over!

1 Like

Friday - quick pre-theatre dinner in the city, prior to performance of Macbeth. Possible late night Chinese supper if peckish after the play.

Saturday - Denver steaks, spuds & veg (to be determined). Apple crumble & custard

Sunday - Kimchi fried rice with pork

Monday - Haddock with bacon. Fennel salad

Tuesday - Sausages, leeks, cannellini beans

Wednesday - dinner in the city. Place that, once again, has failed to get a Michelin star in this years awards.

4 Likes

This is our plan, with a few already executed:

5 Likes

Aforementioned trip got pushed back courtesy an unannounced (but welcome) houseguest.

So another scant week of planning, working through existing stores rather than loading up on new groceries.

On tap:

• Curried carrot soup (Chrissy Teigen, surprisingly delicious) using frozen vegetable drawer carrots (the back of my vegetable drawer is the COLDEST part of my fridge :thinking:). Croutons - maybe I’ll make some bread.
  • Bolognese, if I can swing it. White or “red” tbd.
  • Leftover fish curry (made for guest) - salmon - with rice.

Can’t wait the few days till mom is cooking and I don’t have to plan for a while :joy:.

4 Likes

Mon-lamb with lemon orzo
Tues-carrot ginger soup, grilled tomato and cheese sandwiches
Wed-veg flatbread and big salad
Thurs-dinner with sibs, concert
Fri-still deciding

Cleaning out the frig is the goal. Taking a trip next 2 weeks.

Thxs for some very inspiring menus!

3 Likes

Fri - lamb chops, squash roasted with baharat, supermarket houmous, flatbreads, pickles

Sat - to start… celeriac & walnut remoulade. Main…pork with pears & cream (https://jonoandjules.com/2013/12/11/pork-with-pears-and-cream/) . Dessert - plum compote & ice cream

Sun - out for lunch so a light quiche & salad for dinner

Monday - brown gloop from the freezer. Probably chicken casserole. spuds, frozen veg

2 Likes

Our meal plans (most of which don’t make it on here since the plan is in the kitchen and my home office is in the basement) are joint. My wife is a week from the beginning of a two week trip and I’ve been working on that meal plan now for some weeks. I’m hitting many of the dishes I like that she doesn’t. So far the candidate list would hold me for about two months. grin

Definitely slow cooker chili. Matzo brei. Roast lamb shoulder. Some soups we haven’t tried before that might–if successful–might make our rotation. A couple of memories from childhood just to see, including Chef Boyardee pizza kits. I’m also going to feed the freezer with some dishes my wife enjoys but doesn’t like to see being made. For some reason red beans and rice falls in that category. It will be an interesting couple of weeks.

The key is to keep her cooking under control in the next week. Keeping the leftovers down before she travels is always a challenge.

My wife left this morning for a short business trip followed by the family fishing trip.

Herewith my plan (she’ll be home Wed and Thu between trips). Glossary to follow.

Sun 10/20 matzo brei/leftovers/chili
Mon 10/21 scrambled eggs, bacon/leftovers/kielbasa and sauerkraut, salad of black beans, corn, and peas with sauteed onion
Tue 10/22 yogurt/leftovers/Tuna casserole, glazed carrots, kiwi and mandarin orange

Fri 10/25 yogurt/pizza kit/slow cooker chili, bread bowl
Sat 10/26 matzo brei/snacks/lamb shoulder, hasselback potato, spinach salad
Sun 10/27 fried egg sandwich/chili/potato soup, salad
Mon 10/28 yogurt/leftovers/red beans & rice, salad
Tue 10/29 yogurt/leftovers/grilled chicken, broccoli, salad
Wed 10/30 biscuits, Morningstar/chicken salad/some kind of grape salad
Thu 10/31 omelet/leftovers/
Fri 11/1 yogurt/leftovers/burgers, oven fries, macaroni salad
Sat 11/2 yogurt/meadle/lamb kebab, rice, stewed veg
Sun 11/3 matzo brei/leftovers/roast pork loin stuffed with spinach and feta, roast cauliflower, sauteed apples

Make ahead
Chicken enchiladas
Meadle
Lamb kebab

Matzo brei aka fried matzo is an egg and matzo cracker thing I have taken great liberties with. It’s comfort food for me.
Yogurt includes berries or fruit and something crunchy like Grape-Nuts.
I really like the Morningstar sausage patties.
We often cook in bulk to feed the freezer and then eat that down (that’s where tonight’s chili will come from - Friday’s chili will be a new batch). Twenty enchiladas don’t take much longer than two or three - feed the freezer. Roast lamb shoulder is a LOT of lamb for one or two people so a bunch of kabobs for the freezer is an easy way to prep the remainder.
Meadle is a goulash thing we ate when I was a child and money was tight. Comfort food. In this case it’s to take for lunch with a family member who has lost much of his taste due to chemotherapy. I’m going for texture.

3 Likes

You’re clearly a terrific multitasker. I could not imagine being that organized but I do admire those who are.

2 Likes

We usually cut down the leftovers into big sharwama sized shreds before freezing. After defrosting, I toss them in oil and mixed sharwama spices (from the local Syrian shop) before frying to get a little crispy. Good with moutabel, houmous, torshi & khobez bread

1 Like

Please share your recipe.

Meadle is more an approach than a recipe. ‘Meadle’ is MEAt and NooDLEs. It’s very forgiving.
As a base, it’s a big onion diced and sauteed, add about 1# of ground beef. Cook a box (1#) of pasta - I grew up with elbow macaroni but do as you like. Salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano. From there it is refrigerator scrapings - whatever you have with a priority for what is about to turn: bell pepper, diced tomato, mushrooms, grated carrot, diced celery. Dump the drained pasta into the pan and mix.

When money was tight we’d get more elbows and less meat.

I’ve found that this goes well in a pressure cooker. Brown the meat in the bottom first and load everything else in. You don’t have to cook the pasta first - it will cook in the PC. If you’re going to use mushrooms don’t put them in the pressure cooker - they’ll disappear. 15 psi for about twenty minutes to half an hour.

2 Likes

Okay, this IS roadie cuisine. I had never heard the word meadle but boy have I had my share! Back in the day, when it was my turn to make it, my secret ingredient was LEA & PERRINS Worcestershire Sauce. Ha!

Elbow pasta was our favorite too.

3 Likes