Weekly Meal Planning - Sept - Dec 2019

Best laid plans, I’m already switching meals. These arrived today so I’m def having an egg tortilla.

5 Likes

Duck-fat tortillas. Wow. What will you fill them with?

I’m thinking…duck meat, cilantro, red onion, grilled corn, salsa verde, lime

3 Likes

October already!

Tentative plan for this week:

• Togarashi salmon with miso butter corn and steamed broccoli
  • Lamb with potatoes, roasted cauliflower, parathas
  • Lemongrass-brined chicken with roasted broccoli or cauliflower
    Bulgogi and sautéed spinach with rice
  • Something kid-friendly - need to find out if they’ll eat salmon (with roast potatoes & something green) otherwise roast chicken (with cauliflower mac and cheese)
3 Likes

Weds - out. restaurant dinner about an hour away

Thurs - pork stew and butternut squash croquettes (both in the freezer)

Friday - black pudding, apples, celeriac mash - http://cindyduffield-cookingthebooks.co.uk/black-pudding-baked-apples-celeriac-mustard-mash/

Saturday - arancini (freezer, farmers market purchase), baked plaice fillets with a Parmesan crust (https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/plaice/oven-baked-plaice-with-a-parmesan-crust). Probably fennel & courgette to accompany. Grilled figs, basted with honey & Marsala

Sunday - lamb neck fillet, cooked with garlic, cinnamon, mint, tin of tomatoes, tin of butter

Monday - cheese, celery, walnuts, pickled onions, bread. Followed by apple crumble.

5 Likes

I’m more than impressed! :wink:

I had to look up a panade. I thought of the moistened bread you add to meatballs, etc. Anyhow, it sounds like a strata except with chicken stock instead of a custard. Is my understanding correct?

Yes, that’s what the recipe looks like. Also similar to thanksgiving stuffing. I still haven’t made it… can’t decide if the sogginess is up my alley or not.

1 Like

should read “tin of butter beans”.

1 Like

A tin of butter sounds so much better :wink:

3 Likes

Here’s my plan for this week; I’ve just been grocery shopping and have 95% of what I need. Busy day today and I’m thinking it will have to be something very simple tonight - probably the salmon.

3 Likes

When you prepare spicy shrimp, what spices do you use?

I have a smoked chili salt from Aldi (apparently similar to one made by Palermo?) - I use that with spicy blackening seasoning and a little Badia Adobo without pepper, plus olive oil. Way easy and good.

1 Like

This is right in my wheelhouse. Yum.

A McCormick product

1 Like

Easy too!

We usually do meal planning either Saturday or Sunday before weekly shopping. It is not unusual for things to get jiggered around a bit. This week’s plan is true to form as external forces drive our schedule.
SUN: Savory crepes (spinach, mushrooms, onion béchamel) and a green salad (homemade vinaigrette)
MON: Pork short ribs, grilled pineapple, baked beans
TUE: Spaghetti and red sauce
WED: Shrimp with sauteed onions and mushrooms, coucous, green salad
THU: Something with chicken, not yet determined
FRI: This day blew up and my wife and I will both be out for business dinners
SAT: Special dinner

On Tuesday I made two gallons of pasta sauce (ground beef, sausage, peppers, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes). I canned ten pints and two quarts, we had some for dinner, and still have some leftovers in the fridge for a couple of lunches this week.

Saturday I’m making something a little special for my wife. We each enjoy a few foods the other is not crazy about. Saturday I’m making scallops (not my favorite) and ratatouille (I don’t like eggplant, squash, or zucchini). I’ll eat some (I try things I don’t like about once a year) but mostly eat leftovers from the week.

We each keep “what about” lists for interests and cravings that makes our meal planning session go pretty quickly. We also cook to feed the freezer or for canning so some dinners turn into projects. My wife makes stuffed cabbage by the sheet pan and stuffed shells in quantity. I recently made a lot of enchiladas for the freezer. My lasagna in 8x8s is a staple. When our freezer gets full or our canning pantry gets full we make an effort to make a dent. Frankly I like having food we made ourselves in hand for days we aren’t feeling creative.

2 Likes

It’s nice how the two of you partner on meal planning. I don’t know why I never think to make savory crepes at home.

2 Likes

Trying to gain traction on any of the HO threads so I thought I’d give this one a shot, as I’ve tried and failed in the past.

A mixture of already-had and tentatively planned. Cod was on sale at Whole Foods this week. I got a big chunk on Monday and split it half.

MON: First half of the cod was used for NYT cod with roasted tomatoes. The tomatoes are roasted first with a bit of honey and vinegar. I showered the whole thing with tons of basil, mint, parsley, cilantro as my herbs were all starting to head south. Twas tasty, easy, and quick. Soba noodles were pan-fried in sesame oil with baby broccoli and the last of corn on the cob. Liberal use of TJ’s chili onion crunch on top (another shout-out to @Saregama for that one).
IMG_7329

TUES: Second half of the cod was used in NYT Coconut-poached cod with bok choy. Another winner which I’ve made before. I added more chilies than prescribed, a red long pepper (not bell, but resembling a poblano; are they Fresno?), tons of bok choy and same herbs as previous night. A couple of modifications: I added WAY more fish sauce (didn’t measure, just sprinkled in additional sauce until it tasted right to me) and I left out the sugar that the recipe calls for - does not need it at all. Side was a mix of wild rice/brown basmati rice/farro.

WED (tonight): There is a lot of the delicious coconut poaching leftover. I want to use tofu but B is not a fan. So, I may do half tofu (pan-fry first) and red kidney beans.

THURS: Spicy noodle soup with mushrooms and herbs from Alison Roman; serve with good bread and a salad

FRI: Linguine with crisp chickpeas and rosemary from Ali Slagle. Not sure I’ll fry the rosemary as some comments suggest skipping this step (or using a different herb).

SAT: We’re heading to an Octoberfest celebration at noon, conveniently a 5 minute walk down our local bike path. Friends are stopping by our place first so I may put out some snacky, pre-lunch items (I refuse to call it brunch as I am allergic to brunch). Dinner will be football friendly-food (ie, pizza) as B has his Ohio State game to watch. I have frozen dough so maybe we’ll grill up some pizzas.

SUN: No clue

5 Likes

Nice layout. I greatly appreciate a flex meal plan when sourcing the ingred matters to the cook!

Raising my :raised_hands:. Big cod lover and poaching in coconut liquid makes such a comforting meal.

1 Like