We love Cheese!

The wedge in the photo cost me eur.8.

that’s not bad, actually – just guessing that that’s somewhere around 250-300g? That would put it in the €32-40/kg range – that’s about what “my” guy was charging.

I got it for 3.75€ for the 188g, so it’s 19.95€/kg. not bad for a 2 years old Comté.

After 2 months in India with only paneer even these are starting to taste good. Why I torture myself by looking at all the lovely cheeses on here I don’t know. I found a restaurant in Pondicherry that had a French cheese selection but of course that was unavailable the day I went.

1 Like

I thought with the UK connection there would be some cheesemakers who have made the move to India. Where do the Brits and expats there get their cheese fix? Side trips to Singapore?

I’ve looked up Milky Mist site. They have quite a few cheesy things.

I shall mention cheese prices so we all have an idea how much LESS it costs in France (via Naf).

Today’s happy hour snack. I had never seen this before, but it was a rich, creamy treat. It was mild but had just enough funk to know it was cheese and not butter.

2 Likes

I like how you describe it :joy:

Three blues at the same time. The Spanish one is my favourite of the 3. Unfortunately, the Roquefort Papillon “Taste Noir” is much too salty. Such a disappointment. The Dutch goat’s milk blue is quite aged and a lot harder than the other 2.

So far nothing is above (aged) blue Stilton…

1 Like

A new one to me: Mont Vully. Rind is washed with local Pinot Noir and is matured in a cellar. This “classic” version is between the young and old kinds. Glad I found it.

The little one is made with pasteurised goat’s milk. Hard to find any info on it. The best of the 3 here, or I’m partial to goat’s milk/soft cheeses. Not much to read about Melusin either. It is a forgettable one anyhow.

2 Likes

2 French and 2 Dutch. The one with Jersey cow’s milk is very nice. Want it to age another year.

Jersey cow’s milk has info in English.

Sun came out for one fleeting moment yesterday

1 Like

I’ve been avoiding these 2. Got it over with now. Edible but interesting they are not.

Val-Dieu abby makes beers and cheeses. They have a cafe-restaurant where you can sit down and drink their beers. I want to visit it someday. It’s an easy train ride.

1 Like

Got some Der Scharfe Maxx today. They are made by the Studer cheesery in Hatswil, Switzerland. The family makes Emmenthaler and Appenzeller, and Der Scharfe is made with cream added, and tasted as its name indicated ,sharp, savory and creamy. Got some at $14/ lb, which I think its great value.

2 Likes

Was happy with my cheeses this weekend.
Have had Le Rustique before.

Super rich, tripple cream cheese. Like eating butter. Still doesn’t top Brillat Savarin though!

Unpasteurised milk, I’m so glad I have reasonably good immune system.

De Printemps next to Neufchâtel

1 Like

All soft cheeses, nice and creamy/buttery but none is excessively stinky (how I like my cheese).

4 Likes

The “from Perigord” looks to be Chaumes - a beloved favorite for picnics.

Right at the moment I have to live vicariously through your photos…I’ve recently (and abruptly!) become lactose intolerant, so I have to adore soft cheeses from afar, at least until I have better dialed in on how much of what items I can tolerate.

Oh, no! How cruel! Hope something can be done about it.

I, too, suffer from some lactose intolerance. But it’s limited in my case. I have to avoid milk and cream, but I have no problem with butter and with most cheeses. I’m better off avoiding Brillat-Savarin and similar cream heavy cheeses. But that’s about it. The rest I can enjoy without problems.

I just tried a 2 year old comte at a fancier cheese shop. It tasted ok, but it didn’t taste like $25/ lb. Any producer recommendations for more aged comte?

Don’t have the exact names on me right now, but we are very fond of Portuguese and Spanish thistle-rennet cheeses. Even our toddler has been eating them since 2 years old. We must have the thistle-rennet gene cause everyone else I know can’t stand them. Does anyone here have a favorite thistle-rennet cheese?

1 Like

Had yak cheese for the first time yesterday. I wasn’t sure what to expect. It had a nutty flavour that reminded me very much of Gruyère though it was stronger in flavour. The colour and texture was also similar to
Gruyère.

3 Likes

It’s expensive for me here too, in euros. :frowning:
The 3 year old one is hard to come by outside of France. Naf here probably knows more about it. I too would like to try the 3 year old.

Thanks for mentioning this one. Don’t remember ever having it. I eat Portuguese or Spanish “fresh cheese” as part of my DIY breakfast there all the time. Next time I return to these 2 countries I shall seek them out.

How nice that your yak cheese tasted like Gruyère. I had it in Tibet. The most powerful stinky cheese I have EVER had and I thought no cheese would be stinky enough for me! I am not a coward… I ate the whole plate :smiley:

The whole city smells like yak but the cheese took the biscuit!

Where did you have it? In the UK?

A new and nice one this weekend. I was very pleasantly surprised. eur.8,- for this wedge. Found their web site (has some English info).

Bovril with old cheese is the best!

1 Like