We love Cheese!

Across the pond from you, Trader Joe’s used to carry Red Fox. We (and everyone we recommended it to) just loved it. It hasn’t been around for a long time. Whole Foods had Sparkenhoe for a while, but for me at least, it was a big disappointment after the Red Fox. Apart from those two, I don’t recall ever seeing Red Leicestershire anywhere.

Starting to eat blue cheese again only recently. Due to my allergies I couldn’t eat any veined blue cheese at all before. Now I can again but only a tiny chunk at a time or it will be too overwhelming.

Shared both with favourite employees at my regular brew pub earlier today. Beer is from the tap, also from the brew pub.

Just had dinner and am eating cheese again. Both are wonderful.

1 Like

You are so fortunate to have access to such shops and handmade cheese! Don’t take them for granted!

2 Likes

From Lidl. I’ve had the top row before but not from Lidl. Found out when I was going through older cheese photos on hard drive. The hard cheese can wait til I return from my hols.

Where and by whom it’s made

2 Likes

Had this lovely blue cheese in Rome last week. Blue 61 Ubriaco. Lovely soft blue cheese flavour.

http://ubriacodrunkcheese.madefreshly.com/store/blu-61

3 Likes

Another blue cheese from Italy (pic below). Unfortunately, it does not have any depth. It’s only OK, has no character. Maybe the “aged” version is far better for sure.

Ate the Brebis as part of lunch, the Blue has been eaten as a snack alongside beer or wine. Down to the last bits now, tomorrow it’ll be finished.

Ooh, such a lovely cheese! Oozing between the rind and crumbly centre. My kind of cheese!

I suspect it’s pronounced a bit like “horse”, no? NAF could teach us :joy_cat:

Perfectly ripe

2 Likes

So creamy, must be very delicious! You are quite right, the pronunciation of Chaource is SHA-OX (think in English and the animal “ox”).

In Murray’s Cheese Bar in NYC a couple of weeks ago, I had something called The Other Stephen, from New York State. It was amazing - the rind is washed in beer evidently. Kicking myself I didn’t bring some back - Murray’s will vacuum pack cheese for transport.

At home. we’ve been majoring on Colston Bassett stilton - it tastes younger and fresher than a lot of Stiltons

I have always heard it pronounced “sha-OOrse,” which is what I would expect given the standard rules of French diction. Is SHA-OX a regional dialect?

1 Like

You are correct, it’s more my English that has problem. :laughing:

1 Like

Cheese for dinner. Mont d’Or baked with 3 table spoon of white wine, in a hot oven for 30 minutes. Normally to be eaten with potatoes. We ate with bread. Husband was very happy with the creamy cheese. I preferred eating Mont d’Or uncooked, more flavours.

3 Likes

This is my idea of heaven, cooked or not. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmont d’or!

Oh I would do a lot of things for a Mont d’Or or a large chunk of tartiflette or raclette.

I actually found a raclette grill at the local Goodwill (charity shop) for a song – $5! – even though one of the small pans was missing the rest were still factory-wrapped in the paper. I’ve no other choice than to use Jarlsberg (a variation on Swiss) and gouda.

Sorry I can’t wade through all those photos. My favorite cheese for the last few years is Winnimere from Jasper Hill Farm. It’s seasonal so I buy it when and wherever I can find it.

http://www.jasperhillfarm.com/winnimere/

^^ Web site says it’s their take on Mont d’Or. Must be good then!

Like Biondanonima, I love it cooked or as is! Luckily Mont d’Or is now readily available, pasteurised version that is. Is this one unpasteurised, Naf?

Thinking about cheese makes me happy. I am already feeling the cheese endorphins…

Btw, I did ask my partner to say “Chaource” and I thought it sounded almost like “horse”. So my guess was pretty close. But it’s good to have a Frenchie on the site :smiley:

I think so. If we have the choice, we always try to get the unpasteurised cheese.

So your partner speaks French, he can translate the French magazine for you!

(Going through my cheese photos which I haven’t got around to posting.)

My absolute favourite cheese, besides aged Stilton. Unpasteurised Munster, preferably by small-scale farmers in Alsace. I got mine in Colmar.

So ripe it collapsed quite rapidly when freed from the packaging. My partner couldn’t eat this kind of cheese due to the smell alone. I love the smell of Munster, no idea why people say otherwise! :mask:

4 Likes

Thought cheese lovers and animal lovers might be interested in this:

Thanks, HT. Both cheeses sound very lovely. Producing it this way is good for several reasons. If more people make it the price could come down and more availability. Is it a win-win situation or not? From the link, only about 20% is exported. Good Italian cheeses are hard to come by here (I’m in the EU).

Fortunately, I have found a good one from Piedmont this week. It’s a good week with these 3 great cheeses, actually.

A combination of 3 kinds of milk. It’s crumbly and creamy like goat’s cheese. Started to ooze and soften shortly. I’m pleasantly surprised.

Very hard and aromatic. Was great with my hoppy beer. Shared half of it with employees of my regular pub and they all liked it, too.

Unpasturised Mont d’Or! I ate it as is, on rye sourdough. It started to collapse a little as the temperature in the room increased.

The crust. The cheese comes from a wheel the size of a dinner plate.