We love Cheese!

There are several different Chimay cheeses. Quite a few Trappist and abby breweries have beer cheeses. They used to make their own beer, cheese, and bread.

More cheeses from the farmers market.

Different flavoured fresh goat cheese - (Clockwise from top left) espelette pepper, le Trefle du Perche, herbs and shallot, smoked, spice pepper, natural

le Trefle du Perche - this goat cheese aged longer than the others.

The young goat cheese stand.

(From left to right) Smoked goat cheese, Tome de chèvre vieux, the Basque ossau iraty (from last summer) and 30-month old Comté.

See the rectangular marks on ossau iraty, they were the slides given for free tasting.

The age goat cheese stand.

Photo credits: still life cheeses by H!

3 Likes

I love the truffle one, really good, that is mostly a Christmas treat.

Not that much into the alcohol cheese except maybe camembert with calvados.

1 Like

When we went to the Ossau Iraty stand, they gave us a brief tasting session. The first one from winter, about 2 months old, was young and “bland”, not much interest. The second one (the one we bought shown in the photo above) was from last summer (around 7-8 months old). The summer cheese was considered better because the cows eats the fresh herbs. If you could find Ossau Iraty from mountain cows (contrary to fermier), it would be even better. Cows roam freely outdoors for several months in Alps (happy cows = better cheese). The third one was more affiné, but strangely it lost the freshness and the flavours of the summer comparative younger OI, still much better the winter version. Both summer mountain and affiné the same price around 43€ a kilo. The seller told us each OI could vary a lot in taste with each discs.

2 Likes

Some people might have a reaction to the mould, a prickling sensation on the tongue. There’s a straw right through the cheese.

All smelly goat’s cheeses this weekend.

1 Like

Can’t get any more cheese, leaving on friday for a little while.

I had to complet with mister to make this photo, he was in a hurry to cut the whole thing up. LOL

Langres from the region of Champagne-Ardenne.
The centre was still a big hard…need to wait a few more days.

1 Like

The Saint Nectaire, ripen on straw, had a strong nutty taste. The fact that it is ripen in the tradition ways on straw gave a yellowish or reddish rind. The Roquefort from the Caves Baragnaudes, Société des Caves, was creamy and had a buttery texture. Roquefort is so far my favourite blue cheese, I like it more than Gorgonzola and Bleu d’Auvergne. It is the second most consumed cheese in France (after Comté). Both cheeses used raw milk. Roquefort Carles is the only last artisan left in producing Roquefort. Grab it when you see it on sale.

roquefort-carles

2 Likes

St. Felicien is so soft you have to spoon it. Very nice, as is the Bresse Bleu (I already ate half of it).

2 Likes

Lousy weather on both days but I’ve got cheese!

How did I not see this thread? I love cheese!

I’ll have to find the photos later, but my current obsession is Whole Foods Smoked Cheddar. I eat it by the wedge. :blush:

I’ve tried some other cheese recently, I’ll post more when I get home.

2 Likes

This has been mentioned sometime ago up-thread. It’s now in English language news as well.

Enjoy your cheese whilst it lasts.

Here’s my lunch for the week, I hope it’s good.

Fascinating, I don’t think I’ve had Camembert before (but I’ve had brie many times). Is there a Camembert you recommend that I can find in the US? I’d like to try it before it’s gone.

The whole point is that in the future Camembert will be a cheese that will be made with pasteurised milk and according to the French purist, that is not Camembert. For the time being, it is still possible to buy it made from lait cru in France. I think it is not very easy to find raw milk cheese in US. But if you come across one, do try to grab it to see the difference in taste.

Got some Tallegio, Iberico curado and Glarner Alpkase this week. The Iberico curado is a pretty mild one. The Glarner Alpkase is new to me. It is flat out bitter, a bit like the Chimay only even more so. Its so strong that I need to rinse to cleanse my palate. I have heard about flavor variation dependent on where on the Alp the cheese is made. Is the bitter flavor ‘within the spectrum’?

1 Like

I don’t think there is unpasteurized Camembert in the US because of FDA rules?

@Smokeydoke Pasteurized, and from California:

1 Like

I wonder if we can get authentic Camembert illegally? I’m asking for a friend. :grin:

‘You may bring bakery items and most cheeses into the United States.’

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1272/~/food---general-food

I don’t know what they mean by ‘most’ cheeses though.

I looked it up. There’s no bitterness in the descriptions. (Found it here)

Er weist pflanzliche, milchige, rindige und fruchtige, zum Teil mit einer leicht gerösteten Note, Aromen aus. Im Geschmack ist der Glarner Alpkäse rein, leicht- bis mittel-sauer und mittel-salzig, mild, milchig und wird unterstützt von einer Note Alpenkräuter. Auf der Zunge wirkt er mit zunehmendem Alter rezent.

Translation:

It has vegetal, milky, barked and fruity, some with a slightly roasted note, flavours. The taste of Glarner Alpkäse is pure, slightly to moderately sour and medium-salty, mild, milky and is supported by a note of alpine herbs. On the tongue, there’s a tingling/stinging sensation (with aged cheese).

I think there’s a typo. “Rezent” should be “reizent”, otherwise the sentence does not make much sense. Sounds like a lovely cheese to me, from the descriptions. Maybe you have a reaction to something in it? The Alpine herbs or something else. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever noticed bitterness in cheese from anywhere.