Watanabe Chinese slicer and Geoduck Clam

Yes, the Watanabe is very good when it comes to certain tasks. It holds its edge longer and able to provide sharper and more control cut, such as slicing thin geoduck clam slices. Now, if all I need to do is to chop the geoduck clam in big cubes, then the benefit will be less. I think this is why many sushi chefs use sharp and hard steel knives because these sharper knives allow them to perform more precise and smooth fish slices.

1 Like

A picture says a thousand words! The ones I have seen look like the ā€œgetting olderā€ picture. and were not responsive to touch which is what I was wondering about. I thought maybe it was just normal for this type of clam. That last one makes me sort of sad. The poor thing.

1 Like

I am in Malaysia now, Kuala Lumpur. USD 86 per kilogram. Did not order! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Interesting! Do you know why Malaysia would be importing geoduck from California?

2 Likes

They do look chubby and healthy. Now, the thing is thatā€¦ some of the best Geoduck is from USA and Canadaā€¦ so you can always get them when you come back. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The indonesia soon hack (behind) is much more expensive than I would expect.

2 Likes

Fantastic tutorial! Now if I could only get my hands on some fresh geoducks! Our dad always ordered them pan fried at a restaurant weā€™d go to in SF bitd.

Thank you.

Same price as the geoduck indeed. I donā€™t know that fish well, is it good and tasty? Here are some pics of other fish and seafood.

4 Likes

They seemed to have a wide selection of imported seafood, probably indeed as mentioned by chem because they believe those are the best they can find.

2 Likes

A lot of people love stone flounder. I am not sure about the France part. Anyway, the meat is tender. For some reasons, flounder is not my favorite fish. Maybe it will grow on me, but not at this moment.

1 Like

Hey, I was not paying attention. It looks like the English name is off. There is no France stone flounder. Stone flounders are found in Asia. Their bodies are not exactly like this, and they are righteye (both eyes on the right side of their bodies). These fishes look like lefteyes from your photo.

These look to be Turbots. Turbots are rounder and lefteyed.
imageimage

1 Like

Probably from Washingtonā€¦

Thanks. Since I posted the question I looked it up ( I didnā€™t realize it might be a Pacific coast thing!) , and understand why Washington makes sense, but the tag says California Geoduck!. If Iā€™m being honest, Iā€™m sort of proud. :blush:

Maybe one day Iā€™ll stop saying Iā€™m from New York and say Iā€™m from California. :astonished:

I love geoducks, but not sure I would ever prepare this myself. Impressed with your with there. :laughing:

1 Like

Hi chem, thanks for thinking along! Turbot I buy often, caught in the North sea (western Europe). But they are dark gray, with a rubbery skin, whereas these in Malaysia were whitish with a skin that seemed thinner. Maybe a turbot from a different region?

I love flatfish by the way. Our turbot is very high quality, and you will find live ones in good Chinese restaurants where I live. Though after covid all good Chinese places where I live have shut down!

Were you from California?

You are right. They are whiter and look skin thinner (less rubbery) than the typical turbots. Really? Flatfish kind of scare me because they look weird to me. :sweat_smile: I bet North sea turbots are very high quality indeed.
*Edit. Just realized that I responded to the wrong person.

1 Like

We used to fish for flounder from Chronkite Beach in the Marin Headlands area. Flounder and carnelians (the stone) inthe 60ā€™s. Anyone remember, ā€œFan mail from some flounderā€?

Little known fact: The mascot of the Evergreen State College is the geoduck, and their fight song goes:

Go, Geoducks, go,

Through the mud and the sand, letā€™s go,

Siphon high, squirt it out, swivel all about,

Let it all hang out!

Itā€™s an $80 million industry in WA, and the largest biomass.

3 Likes