Watanabe Chinese slicer and Geoduck Clam

Some have been asking how my Watanabe Chinese slicer performing, and some have asked if the extra sharpness is useful. Well, for some tasks, the extra sharpness benefit is small. However, I have found that a very sharp knife is very beneficial for certain tasks, such as providing precise thin cuts. This is noticeable when I was preparing my geoduck clams.

I am also taking the chance to go through a few photos to show how to prepare geoduck clams. Warning: if dissecting a clam is too gruesome, then please avoid this article. I have blurred some images

This is a geoduck clam. I took it home and put it in salt water.

After the geoduck has rested for a few hours, I took it out for preparation. It was very much alive as you can tell here.

Separate the shells from the rest of the body. I find a small paring knife is better for this step. Some people used to eat the visceral mass. I do not, and I do not, and remove it.

Use hot water to rinse the skin. This will help to loosen and remove the skin

Both the siphon and the mantle are edible. I sliced open the siphon and also trimmed the mantle. It is very helpful to use a sharp knife for slicing. I initially grabbed a CCK Chinese slicer (which is a good knife), but I could still immediately tell something is off, and then I realize it is not my sharpest knife: the Watanabe Chinese slicer. I switched to the Watanabe knife, and it provides the extra control and precision.

12 Likes

Looks great. Love geoducks!!!

I’ve never tried it but always wanted to from the time of seeing it on (something or other, Food TV?) maybe 15 years ago.

How do you cook it? Or can you simply eat like sashimi? Thanks much for the prep tutorial!

Wow nice thanks! Never made it at home (and won’t be trying anytime soon!). :slight_smile:

Great question. There are many ways to eat it. 1) raw, like sashimi, 2) stir fry, 3) stew with congee, 4) soup
Not my photos
For the high quality geoduck, you can use it for anything. On the reverse, for sashimi, you should use very fresh and high quality geoduck.
In addition, there are two major parts, the siphon and the mantle. The siphon has a more crispy texture, and the mantle is more tender. Sometime, (especially at restaurant), they are prepared separately. For example, the you may have the sashimi from the siphon while a soup is made from the mantle.

5 Likes

Many thanks!

More recently, I had some razor clams and they are like smaller version of geoduck (to me).

4 Likes

Interesting! Why are some of the pictures blurred? Do they seem obscene or something?

NVM. I see what you did there.

1 Like

Certainly some people may not want to see animals being butchered. Clams probably not as bad for many people but probably still too much for some people. I did tell you that I know at least one person does not like to eat bone-in chicken because the bone part reminds her of a living chicken. She will and she loves chicken tender though.

2 Likes

Are those west coast razor clams? The east coast version I am familiar with a longer and the shape of the shell is much more straight edge razor like.

First time I saw a geoduck I thought it was a steamer that grew up too close to a nuclear power plant. :rofl:

I prefer freshly steamed steamers to geoduck.

2 Likes

You know what… Yes, actually, a geoduck is more like a big version of a steamer.

Thank you for sharing this. If I ever get my hands on one, this will make me feel more confident in processing it. Do you have any tips on how to tell if the clam is fresh? I occasionally see them at markets I go to but have been hesitant to buy because I have no idea how fresh they are other than trusting what merchant might say.

That photo reminds me of digging for razor clams at Clam Gulch near Kenai, AK- a stroll down memory lane. They were huge back then (1970s) and fantastically delicious. Thank you for that memory. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah. Most razor clams i have seen are like this below.

5 Likes

I’m really surprised to see you pay for one with such a short stubby trunk?! How much per pound did the store charge for that?!
For me, I always pick one with a trunk length at least long enough for me to smash it against a hard surface to cause it to shrink and/or create a ’ rigor-mortis ’ effect…the result firms up the muscle and enhance a better chewier textural feel.

1 Like

Good to know.

1 Like

Saw your message earlier, but figure that I will compile a few photos (some even from today) to share. Now, different regions of geoduck clams can taste very differently, but let’s discuss your point about being fresh. I would say many aspects are simply common sense. I think once you see the photos, you will thin it is also very obvious. When a geoduck clam (or any clam for that matter) is fresh, it will be firm and lively. It will react to touch and it often will squirt water. As it ages, it will start to be less reactive (still react, but need stronger force), softer, more enlongated. It is still perfectly fine to eat. Eventually, it will be obvious that it is in poor health, not responsive and turning thin and grey. Here are some photos.

These are all lively geoduck clams

These are starting to age a little, but still alive and edible

Getting older…

Found these today. Either dead or near death. They look sick and were totally unresponsive. Don’t eat these – but you don’t need me to tell you this.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I am sure that they tasted wonderful decades ago.

1 Like

2 Likes

So, lots of talk about the geoduck - but how about the Watanabe?! Is it as good as expected?

1 Like