Vidalia Onions — How do you use them?

A grocery store near me has them on sale.

I’ve read about them and understand they’re sweeter, but aside from that, is there any special application? Cooking adjustment needed?

Or can I just use them in place of regular onions for both raw and cooked preps?

2 Likes

I use them as I would any onion, but they are very nice raw.

3 Likes

As a raw onion fan, this is a big recommendation

If you see Maui onions anywhere GRAB THEM.

4 Likes

I will keep an eye out

If the Vidalias you have are really sweet, I will sometimes eat them like an apple.

Figuratively and literally.

They’re also great to make caramelized onions with.

5 Likes

I thought this might be true given they are sweeter.

Okay, I should go to the store and actually get some.

i do 8-9 pounds at a time in the oven — 5-6 hours @ 350-degrees. they freeze beautifully. so. when vidalia’s are on sale, i stock up.

2 Likes

You have much more self control than I do.

If there are leftovers (is that such a thing?), I just eat them by the spoonful.

2 Likes

This :grinning:

And if my nephew is around, a bunch of the raw ones disappear first, and then most of the caramelized ones before they ever make it to whatever dish they were intended for :rofl: (he is unapologetic: “you knew it was going to happen, so you should have accounted for it :man_shrugging:t2:).

2 Likes

They caramelize very nicely, but last time I used them exclusively in a French onion soup, I found it too sweet for my taste.

4 Likes

I use them in place of yellow or white onions. I just prefer them. I just get “sweet onions” instead the others available (not always Vidalias in off season).

They make GREAT caramelized onions without having to add any sugar, as some recommend with yellow or white onions.

2 Likes

OK, this is not how I caramelize onions! I just use a deep 12" sauté pan. How are they done in the oven? Just laid out on baking sheets?

There’s some info here

2 Likes

i use a roasting pan. the oven temp remains even, no need to adjust the flame or worry about scorching. give a stir every hour or so until the onions release their liquid, making sure push down any pieces that cling to the sides of the pan. as the liquid evaporates, stir every 20 minutes. i let them go about 6 hours.

2 Likes

All of the above sound good! Keep in mind that they might not keep as well as “storage” onions.

4 Likes

A good overview of how to make caramelized onions, just for background info.

Not taking sides on which method is best (though I do have my opinion on it).

We make some sandwiches adding raw onions and prefer the sweet onions for them (not always Vidalia’s, as Linda Whit says) They’re milder, not as sharp…I’m not as picky when it comes to cooking with onions but probably keep sweet onions on hand more often than others unless I have a recipe that calls for more than one or two.

2 Likes

Vidalia onion sammiches are the best. Just bread, mayo and onion.

3 Likes

I switched almost exclusively to sweet onions for everything (well, except pickled red onions) long ago, back when Vidalia was the only game in town. Unfortunately the Vidalia season is short, and preserving them for any length of time is difficult – one had to use methods like hanging them in knotted pantyhose, and even then it was hard to keep them for long (my daughter to this day tells stories of how as a little girl she took her friends into my cellar where I kept them to see the bizarre goings-on). At least nowadays sweet onions are available year-round. Where I am that mostly means Peruvian imports, which is fine (big thank you to our friends in Peru). I very seldom see Walla-Wallas, and don’t recall ever coming across Mauis.

2 Likes