Vehicles and Buildings Shaped Like Food

There was one (listed) as you’re coming into Redding from Lake Shasta, west side of I-5. Not sure if it still exists. The internet says yes.
Some guy here in Medford had one on a trailer in his front yard but I haven’t been by there lately.

3 Likes

Back in the early 2000’s, I used to drive between Las Vegas and the Bay Area regularly, and would often stop by Mammoth Orange in Chowchilla, which was one of the last operating giant orange stands on Highway 99. Fresh-squeezed orange juice (squeezed to order, not once-a-day or whenever), and great burgers. Sadly they closed in 2008 (see link in above post). Before 99 became a freeway, there used to be many places like that. We would pass them by when I was a kid in our un-air-conditioned car, but my parents would never stop. As an adult, I stopped more often than not. This was on one of the last non-freeway sections of Highway 99.

3 Likes

As a kid, we used to drive down the Central Valley every year on our way to Phoenix during summer vacation, and my brother and I used to beg our folks to stop at one of the big oranges, but Mom and Dad were anxious to get through the desert before it got hot, so there was no time to stop. As an adult, I would sometimes stop at the Fairmead orange (the one that’s in the museum in Chowchilla now), and the burgers were really good, possibly the best I’ve ever had. The orange juice, IIRC, was so-so, and the atmosphere was terrible. Can’t expect much, though, considering it was open air and 150 feet off the highway right of way!

6 Likes

Thank you!!

I don’t remember the stands being covered, but it makes sense since the locations we whizzed by were in the hot zone of the valley with no shady spot to sit. No AC, all windows open, full speed ahead , dam the bugs (especially at night)!

2 Likes

I think we’re talking about the same stand. I always asked for less ice in my OJ, so it didn’t get diluted. Maybe that was the answer. I agree – the burgers were outstanding.

Not so much a food building as a food destination building…
I give you, the Toilet Bowl Building of Tysons Corner!

2 Likes

You guys went to Phoenix for Summer vacation?
That’s some courage right there.

3 Likes

And bargain hunting.

Mom grew up in Phoenix. Although she left for college and never moved back, half her siblings remained in the Valley of the Sun. While her dad and step-mom were still alive, the whole family (nearly a hundred, all told, including us grandkids) made a pilgrimage of sorts every year for a week or two. Since most of my generation was in school, it was scheduled during our common summer break. I still love getting together with my cousins, but I hate Phoenix in July.

3 Likes

Bargain hunting?

1 Like

I spent 4 years there. 85-89.
We couldn’t take it anymore and moved to Southern Oregon in summer of 89.
Still remember driving the U-Haul in standard Valley of the Sun uniform of shorts, tee shirt, and flip flops pulling into Ashland and it being really chilly in June, everyone dressed in fleece.
We were in heaven.
:smiley:

2 Likes

I grew up in the Paso Robles area and I remember the Giant Orange next to the market on Spring St. I don’t remember what year it closed.

1 Like

Because it low season for tourism in Phoenix.

From hotels to transportation to even food is cheaper form basically anytime after Memorial Day to about now (or Halloween).

1 Like

Snowbirds used to start coming at Thanksgiving, a torrent after Christmas, and then leaving by Easter.
Funny thing is, now that I’m old and retired and could go do that, I have no desire to.
:wink:
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

The Superstition Mountains are truly a majestic place to visit in Jan/Feb.

August? Even the cockroaches go north.

3 Likes

:laughing: Ha! That’s a good one!

Ah, right. We didn’t do tourist stuff, because it was coming home for Mom, so we visited uncles and aunts who smelled funny, or otherwise hung out with family. Indoors. Or in my wealthier cousins’ pools.

1 Like

One of our favorite drives was to head east from Scottsdale thru Apache Junction and head to the arboretum in Superior.

https://btarboretum.org/

There’s also a state hwy that runs down from the rim and comes out at Miami and Globe.
Used to be dirt but they probably paved it by now.
Looks like 188 and 88 upon map gazing.

One of our favorite drives in the dead of summer was to head out west on I-8.

To San Diego.

2 Likes