Vegan soups and stews for a new mom?

This canned pumpkin & butternut squash soup with apple juice can be made vegan by substituting in vanilla almond milk for the cream. Do add the toasted pumpkin seed garnish --it’s a really tasty and crunchy finishing touch. I double the curry powder to 1/2 tsp., and usually use the microwave’s potato setting to roast the squash without oil. https://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2014/10/18/panera-breads-autumn-squash-soup/

1 Like

Just omit the butter.

Good hot or cold.

The best pea soup.

1 Like

Here are more of my favorites:

The third recipe down, Black Eyed Pea Curry, is vegan and delicious. It doesn’t make a huge amount so you may want to double the recipe.

For this Red Kidney Bean Curry, I use the full Four Tablespoons of minced ginger. I really like ginger.

The third recipe down here, Split Red Lentils with Cabbage is vegan and delicious.

1 Like

Split pea soup in the instant pot!

Original is not vegan, but skip the ham (it doesn’t need it) and use olive oil and veggie broth instead of butter and chicken broth. I’ve made this many many times - I prefer the yellow split peas - and it’s super easy and reliable.

2 Likes

This is not a soup or stew but is delicious and freezes well!

1 Like

Hi congrats @TheLibrarian28 !

We also love split pea soup. Some carmalized onions and croutons and won’t miss the meat at all. Those little tube packets are fast and easy too.

For some reason I don’t have the best success freezing beans and such but the littler ones work better like peas and lentils and they cook up so quickly.

Vegan better than boullion add carrots celery and faux egg noodles is a winner for us. That’s like 10 minutes. Thinking easy fast fresh instead of freezer sorry.

Our mom here went crazy for bagels and hummus and tomatoes. that’s ez to keep around too.

Excited for your family’s new edition !

2 Likes

Thanks again to everyone for your contributions. The boy made his appearance three weeks early, but everyone involved seems to be fine. He’s a little on the small side, but is a good eater!
Last night I made hamburger mac using Impossible hamburger, and it was a big hit! I did double the wine and water so it would be a little more soupy.

10 Likes

Congratulations. Happy to read that everything is OK.

John

2 Likes

Congratulations!

Forgot to hit post earlier, so here’s a belated reply.

If you’re freezing a lot of soup, consider using very little water or broth while cooking, and add it instead when reheating – conserves freezer space.

Soups with coconut milk are delicious. This one is a copycat for a favorite Vietnamese restaurant version (though it uses Thai curry paste). Use less paste and up the aromatics to balance spice level for your daughter. You can also swap the paste for curry powder bloomed in oil and amp up the aromatics to balance the flavor. Swap fish sauce, for a bit of soy. Kerala stew is very similar, but even lighter. We make it thin and soupy at home. Any mix of vegetables. Skip the green chillies and add plenty of fresh ginger. Lovely with rice noodles or rice.

I’ve got both these on repeat in winter: coconut lentil soup and curried carrot soup.

I like pureed / veloute soups, made with water rather than stock. Leave them thick for storage, thin to serve with water, stock, (plant) milk, or coconut milk. For a richer soup, soak and puree cashews. All the hard veg soups are easiest in an IP or PC

• Butternut squash: Roast the squash with some onions and garlic. Season to taste - I use just s&p sometimes, cumin, garam masala, smoked paprika, and so on.
  • Cauliflower: Cauliflower with onions and either garlic or ginger. Cashews work great in this one. You can also roast or sauté the cauliflower, which changes the flavor.
  • Broccoli: As above. This one is nice with a bit of roasted broccoli added.
  • Asparagus: Good use for frozen asparagus, but needs to be strained for stringy bits.
  • Parsnip: I like it with a bit of bloomed curry powder and a bunch of aromatics to boost flavor.
  • Carrot: With Thai curry paste as linked, or plain with just ginger and onion. My mom combines tomato and carrot; squash is nice in that mix too.

Dal has endless variations from the simplest on out. You can grate some vegetables in while it cooks to meld in and boost the flavor, or roast / sautee vegetables on the side and eat them alongside. (The lightest to digest is moong - green or yellow, red lentils after that.)

Khichdi isn’t soup or stew but is one step over from dal, plus delicious and comforting. More water makes the texture soft and wet like risotto vs separate grains of rice. You can add vegetables. Lots of variations, from very plain to more spiced. You can vary the grain from rice as well (barley, cracked wheat, millets, quinoa).

I love barley soup, especially with some of the barley pureed in to to thicken it - (veg) scotch broth, mushroom barley (beef barley is my favorite, but not for her!)

Stewy beans are nice, but I don’t know whether she’s doing beans post-partum.

3 Likes

I had dal dhokli at a restaurant this week, as part of a Gujarati tasting menu. Much wetter than many dals, so effectively it’s a soup - but a substantial one, as the dhokli bulks it out.

Home dal isn’t typically thick, and dal dhokli is home comfort food / a leftover remake. (It’s actually made even more watery than normal home dal because the cut-up dhokli thickens it as flour leaches out.)

Nice that they are showcasing this kind of stuff!

1 Like

It was an interesting evening. None of the dishes were familiar to us. Or, indeed, familiar to the restaurant owner (who is from Mumbai) or his chef (who is from Goa). However, the owner cooked most of the dishes, including the dal, up to the point of “finishing off” (where the chef took over plating and so on) - under constant phone instruction from his wife (who is Gujarati). This was the third regional tasting menu they’ve done - the other two were Punjab and Goa. He promises a literal homestyle menu at some point - the dishes his wife really does cook at home. But, before that, there will be the annual Parsee menu - celebrating the Irani cafes in Mumbai. But he’s thinking they may go very Persian this time - in recognition that his business partner is Iranian.

3 Likes

Ooh! I actually was gifted grains of paradise and had no idea what to do with them. Thanks for this link!

1 Like

Congratulation on the new grandson!

This has become a family favorite

It’s similar to the one from Serious Eats that small-h posted, except adds some potato. I’ve made the Serious Eats version and can vouch for it, too.

This Chickpea Stew is another family favorite. I think it’ll freeze okay but I’m not positive. Maybe some get oil separation at thawing, but I think it’d stir back in okay. A note here - it calls for a teaspoon of red pepper flakes, which ends up pretty powerful in this dish. After the first time I made it, I’ve always backed down to a half teaspoon. (send me a PM if paywall issues)

This one’s also quite tasty but her instructions leave a bit to be desired but if you’re good fudging on your own it’ll work. We sometimes add some sweet potato chunks and nearer the end, some large dice zucchini. It’s titled “soup” but really more stew-like.
[Edit - nevermind, her website’s messed up - now the page talks about the soup and shows pics of it but the recipe is a broccoli salad…]

4 Likes

Congratulations to the happy family, and I wish you all a happy and healthy life together.

I remembered another oldie but real goodie. This eggplant soup is from the book Veganomicon that came out years and years ago. It’s vegan as the cookbook name implies and I loved it then and (note to self) must remake it soon.

Here are a couple of links:
Ingredients from Eat Your Books: https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/163733/spicy-peanut-and-eggplant-soup
Some cooking comments and suggestions here: http://omni-vegan.blogspot.com/2008/11/spicy-peanut-and-eggplant-soup.html
And I think this is the actual recipe: https://www.theppk.com/2008/10/spicy-peanut-eggplant-and-shallot-stew/

It’s really good.

3 Likes

Congratulations on the safe and early arrival! My oldest was 3 weeks early as well - so when my 2nd arrived at 39 weeks it seemed sooooo much longer. I digress

I don’t have any soups to add, but suggestion of salad. When my babies were a few weeks old and Mr Autumm went back to work, a cousin dropped off a bag of salad ingredients all prepped but in individual containers so I could assemble and eat. A big bag of greens, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, pepper slices, etc. with a nice bottle of vinaigrette. She included non- vegan things such as shredded cheese and I believe grilled chicken strips I loved it as I could have a nice entree salad with minimal prep

Obviously you could substitute your daughter’s favorite salad fixings and toppings.

5 Likes

Congratulations! Mejadra would freeze well. I make it from a mish mash of recipes and sources and have been making it with baharat and enjoying that.

Ina Garten’s pea soup is vegan if you use the water option.

5 Likes

As a card-carrying Korean, I would be remiss not to mention seaweed soup (miyuk guk). It’s traditionally eaten by new moms to replenish their iron. It’s a somewhat acquired taste if your daughter has never had it but it’s one of my favorite soups. The maangchi recipe has beef which is traditional but my mom always made it vegan for me.

6 Likes

I’ve made Parker’s Split Pea Soup and loved it. Thanks for reminding me!

1 Like