Using up the dyed eggs

The recipe for Jacques Pepin’s mother’s treatment of hardcooked eggs, Les Ouefs Jeannette, is easily googlable, and the dish is terrific.

Also, here are suggestions from the Edible Boston magazine’s website:

• Mash with mayo, curry powder, chives, salt & pepper and spread on crackers topped with sliced radishes for an hors d’oeuvre.
  • Slice into quarters lengthwise and perch on a crostini with a dollop of aïoli and a chunk of good, oil-packed sardine.
  • Wrap peeled eggs in raw sausage meat, roll in panko bread crumbs and deep-fry for delicious, homemade Scotch eggs.
  • Serve halved eggs drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper alongside grilled asparagus with toasted bread.
  • Bury a few peeled eggs inside your meatloaf before baking.
  • “Butter” halved eggs with garlicky mayonnaise like the ladies from The Canal House and sprinkle with minced tarragon and chives.
  • Dice and fold into hot, German-style potato salad (vinegar-and-mustard dressed) with lots of pepper and parsley.
  • Fry some leftover rice in sesame oil and add chopped eggs, scallions, cilantro and lime juice.
  • Halve lengthwise, pop out yolks and mash them with anchovy paste and finely minced oil-cured olives; whip in a dribble of your best olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and some minced basil until creamy; pipe back into the yolks for a very Niçoise deviled egg. Top with white anchovies for a treat.

Sarah Blackburn is a home cook, recipe developer, soccer mom, Italophile and managing editor at Edible Boston.

3 Likes

This floats my boat.

1 Like

One of my favorite childhood memories is having funny pastel colored egg salad sandwiches for a few days after Easter :joy: the dye seemed to get to the egg somehow and the egg salad would be pink and blue or something equally as amusing!

4 Likes

FWIW true Scotch Eggs should be made with soft boiled vs. hard boiled eggs, so when you cut into them you get the creamy yolk. Unfortunately for me, after much trial and error I gave up the pursuit of making this at home as I would always break the eggs in peeling / coating with sausage. I’m sure hard boiled would be good too, but with out a runny yolk It doesn’t’ appeal to me as much.

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s possible to freeze, then peel a raw egg before wrapping it in sausage. I do know that if a raw yolk is frozen, it won’t return to a completely liquid state once thawed. But if the frying of the Scotch egg turned out to have cooperative timing, you might get a center that was set but still quite soft. Not that I’m about to try, because I don’t deep-fry.

1 Like

Lol thank you! I might be the lab mouse for this experiment!!

1 Like