Upmarket Refrigerators

I will co-sign on this.

Our new fridge keeps produce, fruits and meats fresher much longer. Even leftovers.

1 Like

What’s the logic behind this? Colder and stabilized temperature?

1 Like

Better air circulation, better humidity control, and better and more stable climate and temperatures.

Newer fridges also provide better microclimates for different types of food (high for produce, low for fruits, etc.). Of course, this is assuming you actually take advantage of these microclimates.

For example, our fridge delays over-ripening of certain fruits and vegetables by absorbing ethylene gas in select compartments of the fridge

2 Likes

I like your style. My audio is Rogue, Tekton, and Thorens. I am cautiously hopeful that more manufacturers will start offering wares without chips. Right now such goods are rare enough that they command a silly premiums. My chipless countertop appliances, mostly 40 years or more old, are going strong.

1 Like

Kimchi refrigerators!

2 Likes

I’ll just give you my one data point. I have an 18 year old Jenn Air (I believe made by Whirlpool) counter depth with ice maker and water dispenser inside. New it was about $2,300, now the model is about $4,200. I had to replace the compressor about 6 years go for $350, but otherwise still going strong and I love this fridge. I go through a lot of ice and have never had a problem, lettuce lasts for weeks in the crisper and lemons and other fruit I put in the fruit bin last for a month or more. Also, I assume it’s standard on all fridges now but the door shelves are big enough to hold gallon milks and the slide out drawer below the interior shelves hold a lot of cheese/bread/meats whatever.

1 Like

Isn’t it for the entire refrigerator compartment? Or are you talking about specific compartment within the refrigerator compartment?

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve shopped for a fridge, so not even sure what are features that make fridges high end. I’m definitely not into any special water or ice dispensing functions, since I use neither.

The biggest upgrade I made was size, and I consider that my top priority. If they can increase capacity without significant increase in overall size, I’d be all for it.

My wish list:
More separate adjustable temp zones.
Making bins or shelf tops easy to pull out and clean
Fridge door shelf heights should be adjustable
Dump stupid egg specific bins - waste of space
Freezer that has a super freeze function that will freeze items quicker
No overpriced, brand specific/OEM water filters
Less noisy, please

If they can do the above, I’d consider paying more for the fridge.

1 Like

Specific compartments, and there’s even a toggle switch.

1 Like

Turns out Miele and Bosch won’t t work with my space. They’re too tall.

It looks like there is a Liebherr and Blomberg model that might work. I hadn’t paid attention to either of these brands.

I’m leaning towards a single door fridge, without an ice maker, between 30 and 32 inches wide, up to 68 inches tall.

In case you are considering a Samsung.

They are having an early Black Friday sale.

1 Like

I haven’t read through all the replies yet, but I had a similar question.

It has dual compressors and an ethylene gas “FreshProtect” dohicky that keeps things fress longer. This size is plenty when there are just two of us, but didn’t work mid Pandemic.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks!

Check to see if your library offers a free option to access Consumer Reports. We have a fairly huge refrigerator with bottom freezer that I love. I think it’s a Whirlpool and does not have the bells and whistles of an ice cube maker or water in the door. A. those things typically require the most maintenance and I don’t want to risk water on our floor. B. I have never known anyone to clean the lines/filters for those two items which seems completely gross. C. Why take up the storage room?
Be sure you measure very, very carefully all door openings. I measured and consulted the manufacturer’s specs. When it was delivered the guys were certain it wouldn’t fit and I was equally certain it would. Guess who was right? :wink:

1 Like

I admit I have not read this entire thread, but my biggest bit of advice is do not get water and/or ice thru the door! This has been the biggest problem with the fairly expensive refrigerator we bought a couple of years ago…

1 Like

Thanks!

Due to my limited space, I’m looking for a fridge that is 30-33 inches wide, 66-69 inches tall, less than 29 inches deep, bottom freezer, single door, no ice machine, which helps narrow down the options.

Right now, I’m looking at the Liebherr CS 1400R, Bertazzoni 31 inch if I can find one wituout an ice maker.

The Miele are too tall, and the 800 series Bosch that are at the right height are too narrow at 24 inches wide.

Haven’t looked through all the possible LG and Samsungs yet, but the one LG single door bottom freezer I looked at was 33 inches deep, too deep for our space, since it’s a small kitchen, I think.

The LG LDNS22220 is a 30 inch wide, 68 inch tall, 29 inch deep (35 with the doors and handles on) $1899 Cdn possibility.

I have not heard about Bertazzoni fridges. But specific to ranges, the appliance shop people once commented to me when I asked about the one Bertazzoni range they have in the showroom. They said there’s a reason why you see Bertazzonis in all the spec houses- they look expensive, and they are cheaper than the quality brands, but aren’t great.

1 Like

Thank you. I wasn’t familiar with the brand for fridges, either.

1 Like

I won’t be buying a SMEG Dolce & Gabbana fridge or toaster, but I do think they are pretty.