Upgrade Syndrome?

Dang!

Hi pilgrim,

My local source of pasties strongly promotes their gravy–I’ll stick with ketchup.

Ray

Hi Meekah,

The knobs on almost all of my larger Staub and Le Creuset are little animals: chicken, cow, pig, fish, and rabbit. They’re all from Staub–but many are only available from the European Staub site. I especially like the rabbit.

Ray

2 Likes

Made my day :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’re actually readily available here, and I have many of them. I also have the brass chicken knobs Jacques Pepin did for Sur La Table, which aren’t so readily available anymore…Unless you want to pay over $500 for one on eBay. Mine looks quite festive on my Staub chicken-shaped roaster, which I got off a clearance table at Williams-Sonoma for $99 years ago. There’s a brown roaster currently on sale on eBay for $745 plus shipping. Mine is black, like the one in this photo.

On second thought, maybe I should sell my stuff and buy a new car with the proceeds.

Actually, there’s a second chicken roaster on eBay for $800 - or best offer. Plus shipping.

3 Likes

Hi Ray,
There are a few available on the US Staub site. I think they may rotate availability because I don’t see the rabbit, but they did have it in the outlet stores last year.

Link for anyone who may be looking for these:

https://www.zwilling.com/us/search/?q=animal+knob&lang=en_US

I was fortunate enough to get at 5.75 Oval in Basil with a rooster knob at the warehouse sale back in late 2020. Not the Jacques Pepin one, sadly.

1 Like

La guerre des cocottes

YiuTube. Sorry it’s in French, but starting at about 3:00 in, we meet Francis Staub, from Alsace - and most importantly of all (listen to the narrator!) we learn how to pronounce “Staub”

I was always curious - is it Stohb - which would be a French pronunciation of the “au” or is it Schtaioub - with the German Sht. For Sh. And the au as in Frau?

Turns out, we split the difference.

It’s “shtohb”, which I guess is the Alsatian pronunciation.

1 Like

Hi Meekah,

I saw the Jacques Pepin bird at Sur La Table–a true collectible–and kudos to you for collecting it.

If you trade it for a car, maybe go for a 50’s Ferrari. When I was a flunky in my uncle’s body shop, I got my training in polishing fenders from a former Ferrari employee. Based on his craftsmanship, I’d bet that a 50’s Ferrari would hold up.
:wink:

Ray

It might hold up better than I would, although I’m adept at manual transmissions.

1 Like

Thanks, Meekah,

Lots of information and examples. Do they explain how Chasseur fits into all of this?

Ray

Yes, they do. It’s one of the three French brands they discuss… you see it at 3:00 and later on, at around 9 minutes, they discuss the company’ history, and its then unconventional CEO (he’s not the CEO now)Jean-Pierre Depire, in detail. Chasseur’s mother company is Invicta; they originally made cast iron plumbing fixtures, the decorative items for the house( they’re on display)and I believe wood stoves, and then they got into doing cocottes. . Dupire’s former media presence in Chasseurs adverts sort of reminds me of John Légère on steroids And then towards the end of the video comes the interloper, an aluminum cocotte made in China. It is not judged kindly, especially by the chefs who test it. It seems the folks in this video want their cocottes en fonte. They do at the beginning of the clip make a mention of induction cooking, in the scene where people are taking a cooking class.

Francis Staub deliberately created a market along with chefs where his cocottes coils be brought to the table as presentation and serving dishes; the he created the miniature cocottes for individual servings. This is shown in the beginning of the video.

2 Likes

Hi Meekah,

Chasseur does well in Australia for some reason, but only appears here in onesies or twosies. The whole video all takes place in a world I once knew well–long ago.

Ray

Overstock has 25 Chausseur item right now.

1 Like

Hi Jen,

There are others I might have added, but the one I refused for my ECI was the snail.

Couldn’t see 6 qts. of steamed snails. . .

Ray

1 Like

I was about to say the same thing and contemplated making an offer! :wink:

I like my electric knife for turkey and ribs.

I completely understand. Snails need copious amounts of garlic and butter.

2 Likes

The Zwilling sale website has several animal knobs right now.

2 Likes

The snail knob, according to Staub, signifies slow cooking.

2 Likes

:rofl:
That is hilarious! I never knew that.