Upgrade Syndrome?

Maybe, Chem, maybe not. It’s been so much a part of my life that cultural fusion is almost always on my mind.

What Kai did in creating Shun clearly was an intended Japanese American fusion that I have been following ever since: I don’t make these things up as you’re implying.

We even teach these things to business students at the graduate level.

Ray

A purple cow and a pizza pasty are two things I hope never to encounter, while I love pasties, even my irreverent homemade attempts.

1 Like

Hi Pilgrim,

I regret that I can’t get rutabaga in my pasties here in California. On the other hand, I love the chicken curry Cornish pasties I get at Lucky Baldwins. I’m adjusting . . .

Ray

I do understand what you are saying, Ray. All subjects are approachable through single avenues, and you have formed your cultural relationship through cutlery, namely Kai’s Shun. One could approach through a food or a religion or a craft or… Your study has followed an interesting and unusual path. And I can see how it could be incorporated into the case study method used in business schools.

I always include rutabaga in my pasties! A travesty without. What recipe are you using?

Hi pilgrim,

I’ve never made pasties. My cousin always tempts me with her mothers prize recipe if I come to visit in Michigan. . .

I do keep a supply of frozen ones in the fridge–beef.

Ray

Listen up to your cousin and go for it! They’re really quite simple to make, and you’ll get that “swede”: kick.
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 8.29.14 PM
These channeling those served at a Montana Woolworth’s lunch counter in mid-Century. Many Cornish in the local copper mines. Husband says they’re pretty close.

2 Likes

What’s always surprised me is that the beef skirt (sorry, don’t know US name) used cooks fine in the hour or so bake time, but used in a stew it needs at least twice as long.

BTW, serving them with gravy would spark a lively discussion in Cornwall, and serving them with those onions would spark a fight!

1 Like

Hi RobinJoy,

The pasty made for my deep pit Iron Ore miners in Michigan is quite a bit bigger than the Cornish inspired pasty at Lucky Baldwins here in Pasadena. And the version sold at another place here in SOCAL features the gravy and has a spicy vegetarian version.

We’ve got cultural movement over pasties here in the USA–no fusion yet.

What about in Cornwall and in Great Britain?

Ray

Variations are of course easily available in/from Cornwall, but a huge majority of sales would be simple originals. That’s my guess, but I expect that there’s an Onion here who has better knowledge?

IMO the a pasty does not benefit from an upgrade.

Hi RobinJoy,

I was always satisfied with a simple meat and potatoes pasty–with lots of Ketchup.

Ray

The only “upgrade” I’d consider is swapping out my 32 cm Fissler serving pan for a Paderno Grand Gourmet paella, it might give a better performance. This Fissler is the strangest vessel I’ve cooked in with difficult temperature control. I’m still using it but it’s definitely not a favorite. It’s saving grace is that it’s the easiest to handle of my SS pans. It’s used for larger things, obviously. But I’d much prefer a 30 cm size as it wouldn’t crowd my cooktop.

1 Like

Hi VFish, why not just use your 30 cm low Le Creuset? Are there any instances where you’d definitely prefer a stainless steel 30 cm vessel over the Le Creuset? I love mine, my purchase being instigated by you, and notice I will grab the LC 9 times out of 10 if I need that size. I haven’t been using my large diameter copper vessels nor my Fisslers a lot these days…

1 Like

Dear members,

You are free to express, exchange and challenge opinions and ideas. Please accept differences among each of you. This applies to the whole site, not particularly to this thread. HO is a friendly forum, and will remain as such. No personal attacks and mockery is accepted. As moderators, we will try our best that the place remains free from cyber bullying.

Thank you for your attention.

naf

5 Likes

An upgrade by downgrading that I am considering: I have, for the past twenty years or so used a Mouli-like grater made of stainless. It is heavy. The drum had nylon rings on either end to smooth turning. Years ago it lost one and now makes a scraping sound as it turned, truly a sustainable deficiency despite being obnoxious. The paddle that fits through the top and presses down whatever is being grated has never pressed as close as an old Mouli did. So when I grated cheese I am rewarded with a chunk at the end. Who doesn’t love a chunk of Parm, save a vegan? The SS is heavy, and keeping the thing together can actually require effort. I am seriously pondering $8-10 for a real Mouli off the Bay.

Yes, it is.

Sorry Greg, they are earmarked for my twentysomething sons when they get their own places.

Staub is very rarely seen here in the UK, but I really crave their cow shaped pot. Upgrade-itis strikes again!

1 Like

Absolutely! As I wrote, this is a Montana lunch counter interpretation, circa 1945.

1 Like

They have a wee pig cocotte, too, which I have resisted purchasing. I have a weakness for figurals, I confess.

2 Likes

Nothing beats a good pig in the kitchen.

4 Likes