Turkish recipes

Oops I i apparently was thinking zeytinagli, or lathera.

5 Likes

Imam bayildi means when the Imam fainted. It has a story to it, he fainted because so much olive oil was used in the preparation of the decadent eggplant dish.

It usually is presented as stuffed eggplants when you order it at a restaurant. I have some recipes that appear more like a briam /ratatouille/ tourlou tourlou, with the eggplant chopped up.

Not sure how the Turks use the term lathera. In Greek, it could mean any dish cooked in the way you cooked yours above, with lots of olive oil.

3 Likes

Episodes 5, 6 & 7 of this series cover Turkey. Worth a watch if the link works in your region:

3 Likes

Romanian here - we also have this dish, no surprise since there was strong influence from both Turks and Greeks. Usually made in the heat of the summer when green beans are in season. Either have it with crusty bread for (religious) fasting days, or add chicken to it. Lots of garlic, olive oil and good tomatoes are needed :).

3 Likes

OMG!! I tried this today. This was incredibly delicious and I will make it again.
I made a couple of small changes (e.g. used Harissa powder in the diced vegetable mix instead of crushed red pepper; oven-baked the dish at 375 F instead of stovetop) but otherwise stayed close to the recipe. Fantastic!

1 Like

Whatever it’s called, it looks delicious!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Just a Few of my favorite Turkish Recipes:
Lahmacun, Super thin Flatbread topped with spiced Meat Paste and baked (think pizza but thinner).
Beyti Kebab, Kebab wrapped in Lavash topped with Spicy Tomato Sauce, Yogurt and Butter
Mercimek Çorbası, Red Lentil Soup
İçli Köfte, Turkish Kibbe

Turkish Cuisine is GREAT!

2 Likes

I probably posted this upthread. I like it.

1 Like

I’ve made this one a few times - always good!

3 Likes

Another tasty meal - comforting indeed!

2 Likes

@shrinkrap, you made me Google. This one has meat, a big but like a pastitsio. I will give it a try

No meat Turkish Mac & Cheese

1 Like

Me, too.

1 Like
1 Like

I’ll be making this tonight as a mezze & side to lamb shoulder fesenjān. I’m cheating a bit bc I picked up a glass of grilled, jarred eggplant from the Turkish store down the road (hey - at least it’s a Turkish brand). I’ll add some Fage, lemon juice & tahini, crushed garlic & fresh parsley to it.

3 Likes

Looks good! I first had baba ganoush a half century ago. It was … exotic then. l was quite an adventurous student :eyes:

1 Like

I just love ISTANBUL AND BEYOND, which presents its turkish dishes by region with an appreciation of the foodstuffs and culture of each. If you can find a copy its well worth buying
btw it was one of my favorite CotMS back at chowhound. I have by no means cooked through the whole thing but particularly enjoy making her Istanbul style griddled fish sandwich and grilled cheese sandwich beans and rice with tomato sauce and lamb,salmon (or bluefish) with garlic herbs and lemon, fish baked in a spicy tomato sauce, cornmeal pie with leeks and greens, lamb and chickpea stew, the bread bakers lamb and tomato curry, spicy bulgur kofte, baked chicken with tomatoes and herb zaatar or thyme, five-spice meatballs and eggplant in tomato sauce, freekah pilaf, hatay pan-baked beef kebab - easy and delicious! bulgar filled peppers in pomegrate molasses sauce, sweet and sour chicken, including verjus and grape molasses,
chickpea stew with lamb and tomatoes, rice and orzo pilaf…

Just opening the book makes me want to start cooking from it again.

2 Likes

$2.99 on Amazon Kindle today. Hoping it will do the subject justice.

1 Like

@JenKalb @shrinkrap I nominated Istanbul & Beyond for March COTM if you are interested in participating

3 Likes

if I have time when I get back from - Istanbul and Greece. April or May would definitely work better for me!!

2 Likes