TST BBQ, new in middletown NJ (Leonardo section)

Guys like Chestnut or Stonie would destroy this challenge in like 15 minutes. For reference Beast’s Nathan’s record seems to be 25 dogs, paltry compared to the champs. He’s fully in the “regular” human category. :slight_smile: Don’t let it discourage any of you from trying! :smile::laughing:

1 Like

I"m soooooooooooooooooo (not) doing this!!! After the Apella grilled meat challenge, which you did NOT show for, left me with the meat sweats for 3 days I think my food challenge days are behind me.

1 Like

For reference, here’s how a champ does it.

Old reply but until recently there were no beef ribs, plenty of pork spare ribs, no stinking baby backs, all kinds of sausage, some turkey, and clod Central Texas only. My two cents from a native.

Did he just really tank that in 2 minutes?

More like a minute and a half, yeah.

Joey hammered 108 whitecastles. I can’t imagine doing 30. I think I could do 20 though.

Haha! I learned my lesson to not challenge you!

Dude ate 74 hot dogs in 10 minutes. I mean it’s really inhuman.

Today a guy at work somehow brought up tst bbq and we got talking about LA beast. Apparently this dude is a maniac. Check out his videos. He eats light bulbs and all types of crazy shit. He isn’t a competitive eater.

The guys son frank actually talks to LA beast and he tells me the beast is coming down to try the 911 wing challenge at cluck U in red bank. I told him to mention the curry challenge at haldi chowk. Stand by…hopefully he will do both soon. I’ll give the curry challenge a shot with him if he is willing to try it and/or let me into one of his videos.

I heard the tst contest was kept really low key. He has a ton of followers so they didn’t want to totally blow up the spot when he arrived.

Hmm…I just watched him try to tank a bowl of super hot curry and he is just in pain. Maybe I won’t try this after all https://youtu.be/Q2RPRJiVWPI

Holy crap…this is nuts! https://youtu.be/UAyqWAjlLAs

I have a ton of respect for the competitive eaters but after watching this, I’m wondering if you can easily die from something like this.

This man’s a real American hero!

I’ve done the phaal. It was not fun. I wouldn’t attempt it unless you really hate yourself.

Checked this place out yesterday. Got the platter with all the meats, with an extra side of pulled chicken. No burnt ends, only available on Saturday I think?

Ribs were great. Pulled pork and chicken were ok, slightly bland. Brisket had great flavor but was dry as fuck. Like half way to jerky dry. Also some of the pieces were not properly cut against the grain so it added to the dry/jerkiness.

Would love to try their brisket again but I’m not sure how to maneuver my way to getting a juicy piece. Maybe I’ll ask them on facebook.

Also really enjoyed their spicy cherry bbq sauce, really great balance of sweet hot and tang there. The brussels were tasty but kind of overfried.

Overall it was a bit of a meh for me. Based on what I got I would probably return for the ribs and not much else.

4 Likes

Looking through Yelp reviews it seems like dry brisket is a common complaint here. Real shame because aside from the dryness all of the flavor is there. And I really like it with their horseradish sauce.

A funny side note, I asked the person working the counter for a side of the sauce and their response was that they were out… but the sauce was in all of the sauce holders on the tables. I asked for some cups to fill up myself. I mean… what. :laughing:

1 Like

Perhaps s/he meant they were out (on the counter/tables/wherever)?

That wasn’t the case because they gave us all the other sauces we asked for. I requested cups separately so I can fill them myself. I don’t think I’ve ever had a white horseradish sauce with bbq, it was a good change of pace with the brisket.

1 Like

I must have gotten lucky here because the two times I had their brisket I thought it was exceptional. I did not care as much for the ribs and pulled pork.

Alabama white sauce is generally used on chicken, but if it tastes good on the other stuff, who cares? :smiley:

2 Likes

Not the biggest Guy fan but when you’re doing good things for veterans I’m all in. Plus it was nice that TST got hired for the event.

3 Likes

Let me bring this topic back to the top, it seems the rumors of TST BBQ’s demise were in fact premature. Driving down Rt. 35 in Hazlet yesterday I passed TST BBQ located at the Holiday Inn across from Costco. That’s certainly a BIG improvement from their prior location at the mini golf place.

2 Likes