TST BBQ, new in middletown NJ (Leonardo section)

Looks like some version of giardiniera on that Sammie, which is typical for Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches:

The Italian Beef is not an especially attractive sandwich, but it is a delicious sandwich.

1 Like

You can get a good one here:

2 Likes

Do you know of any monmouth county spots to get a Philly style Italian roast pork sandwich?

THAT is a thing of beauty! Donā€™t know any in Monmouth, but I do know that Chef Carl Ruiz has just put one on the menu at Marieā€™s Italian Specialties in Chatham. This happened on the heels of a trip he took to Philly.

I donā€™t get up there much but Iā€™ll keep it in mind. Thanks :slight_smile:

No but now that you mention it I am craving one, badly.

Itā€™s hard enough to find a decent cheese steak around here.

Tell me about it lol

Here is a question. Why arenā€™t there any late night food trucks in red bank? Gusā€™s nephew runs that spot now so why canā€™t he rent that out to someone at night? Is it an rb issue? @NotJrvedivici any clue? That seems like prime time for a grease truck or cheese steak/dog/burger spot after hours.

No clue! Although I donā€™t think that would be a good late night food truck location. You would need to be in an area with more foot traffic than that, over there itā€™s really a drive in spot, you donā€™t want to encourage people to be driving after a late night out.

Yeah there are definitely better locations but where in down town could you park it?

Not a great pic but a good burger ā€œthe spicy mamaā€

Some kind of rub on 2 4oz patties with spicy slaw and their ā€œfire and iceā€ pickles. Not worth 11 bucks but tasty and messy lolā€¦

I think the key to that location at any time would be serving good Mexican.

Burritos, tacos and cemitas would have all the walk up, pedal in, stumble up, wobble over and drive in traffic you could handle.

You would probably also make a fortune off of machaca and egg & chorizo, with frioles manteca, for breakfast anytime.

There really arenā€™t any good Mexican breakfast places around that area with Mamacitaā€™s home cookin.

People drink at home, get blixt, and crave fat. Itā€™s universal. C.f. the grease trucks at Rutgers.

1 Like

Notb has insane breakfasts! I really donā€™t go much since Iā€™m not a huge breakfast guy. If you go on the weekends you literally can sit with the workers and have breakfast. I think they normally eat around 10. The plates are freaking ridiculous! Youā€™ll need to speak Spanish though. I will try to find some pics but one plate is enough to put you down for the day lol

And yes, a late night mexican/taco truck would rock but I think I would give the edge to a grease truck. Hell any truck would be cool!

1 Like

Iā€™ve become a little more careful about NOTB since about every 4th time I go there they are either closed or have a dept. of health inspection sticker on the door.

I have enough problems with gastrointestinal distress as it is.

Does MIG do breakfast?

Any late-night food truck would also be directly competing with Hansel & Griddle and JRā€™s. Linoā€™s serves breakfast.

Wow someone pays attention to posts!!

Yeah mig does breakfast

I had gone to TST a few weeks ago and ate the dipped beef sandwich. Sorry HOs, this is far from a good Italian Beef sandwich. Iā€™ve had a few at several places in Chicago and Iā€™ve been looking for a local one ever since so I was excited to try it. This one was not even close and I didnā€™t finish mine - why waste the calories? The beef was tender and thinly sliced but lacked the juiciness and flavor of my remembered Chicago sandwiches. My sandwich was ordered with everything but came woefully lacking in anything that resembled ā€œspicy pecoronciniā€. I did not ā€œTop Shelfā€ it.

On the plus side, I got a rack of ribs to go that were much better than the sandwich. But, those ribs were not as good as the ones at Local Smoke or Surf BBQ.

You canā€™t get a good Italian Beef outside of Chicago.

1 Like

True dat!

1 Like

I forget which thread we were talking about The Beast challenge here at TST, but it is finally defeated. LA Beast, a competitive eater/YouTube psycho, came into town and took down the Beast. The sandwich itself is over 3.7 lbs and probably another pound or better of sides. Up until the other day the challenge was 19-0.

They broadcast the attempt, and eventual takedown, on facebook live and I couldnā€™t turn away. Watching this disavowed me of any notion of trying. It took all of the allotted 45 minute time frame and the guy was in severe discomfort. Also, there is currently no requirement to hold the mass of meat, bread, french fries, and two sides of your choice down for any specified amount of time. This too was on facebook live.

LA Beastā€™s vid

1 Like

Wow! This dude is a monster! That sandwich is out of control too. Nice post Tomā€¦thanks for sharing. That was a really cool video.

1 Like