Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

Eggs were $2.99 as of yesterday. Butter was 3.99 which I think is an increase.

At our TJā€™s, butter has been $3.99 since early December 2022.

2 Likes

Gyro meat paks. Always have one in the freezer.

2 Likes

Ummm, yeah - they were $4.69 at my local Market Basket (Egglandā€™s Best). Others were $4.99/dozen.
Iā€™ll have to pick up eggs at TJs next time Iā€™m there (4 weeks).

1 Like

Yikes! A dozen Egglandā€™s best are $4.29 at my regular ShopRite here in NJ and the 24 pack is $6.99. Theyā€™re a bit cheaper than the store brand. I havenā€™t looked at eggs in TJ in quite some time.

1 Like

The problem with those is that I grew up with the original size, and having eaten a mini, I want more.

They used to have ā€” I donā€™t know about now ā€” a vegetable biryani that was worthy of a home in my freezer.

1 Like

One way to combat that is have two. One chocolate, one vanilla. Skip the third option (cookies and cream I think)

1 Like

Not food but ā€¦ I want to say how much I appreciate TJ greeting cards, sometimes you find really great ones and theyā€™re only .99! Thereā€™s no need to pay more! At CH it was herby or Grace who brought them to my attention.

5 Likes

Truffle Picante Spicy Pasta Sauce - We need another category. Worst than Meh, or Worst TJ product I ever had. I love truffles, love spicy, and I do like the Truff brand, so I imagines its similar. This one was sweet, and had that strong truffle flavor but not in a good way. Tasted more like the fake chemicals truffles. Absolutely horrible. Cant believe they are selling this crap.

Wish Iā€™d seen the Reddit discussion sooner

3 Likes

It was Grace who championed them (herby lives in Canada, outside TJā€™s territory).

2 Likes

Yea; Crispy Onion Chips. These are satisfyingly crunchy, with good sweet onion flavor offset by a bit of salt. Too easy to just keep munching, so Iā€™ll have to refrain from buying too often.

I donā€™t buy much produce at TJā€™s, but yea to the $3.29 organic cauliflower. Itā€™s much less expensive on a per-pound basis than whatā€™s at my local market, and theyā€™re a lot bigger (and also nicer looking) than the $3 specimens at the farmersā€™ market recently.

4 Likes

Big Yea - Dark Chocolate Bark with almonds, pretzels and sea salt. Iā€™m very particular about chocolates, and this is very good. Perfect cuts, and just enough salt, almonds, pretzels to make it interesting. This could become our favorite TJ chocolates.

3 Likes

In SSF there was an ā€œOpportunity Buyā€ yesterday: gorgeous purple-hued jumbo artichokes for $1.99 each. I bought 5 and roasted them. First you trim, insert some garlic between leaves if you wish. Squeeze of lemon over top, a little olive oil over top, pinch of kosher salt. Wrap each in 2 layers of heavy duty foil (I scrimped out once and used only 1 piece of foil, no bueno) bake at 425Ā° for 1 hour 20 minutes.

5 Likes

TJā€™s Arrabiata sauce - tasty! I always keep a jar. Evidently they also have an arrabiata pasta - I havenā€™t tried it (scribbles note to self).

I thought these favorite cookies were gone for good BUT THEY ARE BACK!

10 Likes

Both YAY & MEH for the same item. Trader Joeā€™s Medium Roast Ground
Coffee
The YAY. I discovered some time ago that when you open ANY brand of bagged or canned coffee if thereā€™s no wonderful coffee aroma itā€™ll be a lemon. Drinkable but not great. Happens way less to TJā€™s but still does. This one was a def YAY! :partying_face: :yum:

The MEHā€“ Theyā€™ve reduced the quantity again. Itā€™s 14oz. now down from the original 16oz. :scream: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Itā€™s still a good deal as itā€™s $4.99 where the other name brands are priced at $10-$12 for their 12 ounce or less bags.

1 Like

They have a chocolate raspberry swirl ice cream that is great. Combines 2 of my favorite flavors. The fruit portion seems to be a sorbet i.e. not dairy based.

1 Like

I donā€™t think so - I saw both in store recently.

Yes, this was confirmed by others.