Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

Frozen hash browns: Big Yea

Elote corn chips: Yea

Are the mini ice cream cones Hold The Cone? If so, major ups from me. Just tried the Guajillo salsa and I dig that too.

Agree with the YAY for the dark choc orange sticks. Itā€™s a taste of childhood for me, in a good way.

I have enjoyed most of the tater chips weā€™ve tried, including the EBTB flavor.

Iā€™ll add a YAY for the crunchy chili onion peanuts ā€“ a solid snack.

3 Likes

Sweet & spicy pecans were definitely still around as of the weekend before last (SF, Geary & Masonic). Checker asked if I was going to put them in a salad. I said that was the idea, but in all honesty Iā€™d probably eat most of the bag as snack. Which, of course, I did.

ETA: They usually have both the sweet & spicy and plain candied pecans there. Both good, but the sweet 'n spicy are my favorite.

5 Likes

Thank god.

1 Like

If by candied pecans you mean Pecan Pralines, in a clear plastic tub, Iā€™ve been buying them for at least five years. Butter, corn syrup, vanilla, salt.

3 Likes

I meant these:

3 Likes

Yes, Hold the Cone. We recently made the difficult transition to one per serving instead of two

4 Likes

I try to keep it to one box too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :yum:

3 Likes

I just bought the crunchy chili onion peanuts, and they get a qualified yea from me. Flavor is good (salty and savory), but most of the seasoning doesnā€™t stick to the peanuts, so itā€™s settled ag the bottom of the bag. Seems to be the solids from the chili onion crisp condiment I saw on the new products shelf (a riff on chili crisp).

Perennial yea for me: Chile-spiced dried mango. I try not to buy it too often though, because I tend to inhale the hole bag in a couple of bags.

1 Like

My TJs has always had both. The S&S are a secret weapon in my recipes. I love them in salads, but I also use them in a gorgonzola and spinach pasta or an apple and gorgonzola tart.

6 Likes

Ugh, that would be the whole bag in a couple of days.

5 Likes

YAY: Mee Krob Snackers (new item). Crunchy, savory, sweet, sour, addictive goodness. I donā€™t know from mee krob so I have no idea how authentic these are, but I know I like them. And I may not be the only one: after buying a bag on seeing them for the first time (Saturday), I returned the next day and it looked like they had sold out.

3 Likes

Both still available.

7 Likes

the ny times had a recipe (on their cooking app, sorry) for grilled cheese that spread the outside of the bread with toum instead of butter. i tried it with gruyere and caramelized onion. it was delicious, but the garlic overwhelmed the flavor of the cheese an onion. but iā€™m thinking maybe just on griddled bread and served with tomato soupā€¦

1 Like

On the New Items shelf a few weeks ago there was Gearbox pinot noir at $6.99. It was very good, the best under $10 pinot Iā€™ve had, so good that I picked up several more bottles. It reminded me of TJā€™s in Los Angeles in the '80s, where youā€™d find a wine, taste it in the parking lot, then rush in to get more. Sold out now, and the clerk said it was a one-off deal.

2 Likes

Not for cooking, but their Gingermints (which come in a small metal tin like Altoids) are excellent for snacking / warding off queasiness. They are not particularly strong but they are tasty! (and effective if youā€™re eating them for business rather than pleasure.)

2 Likes

Or, it sounds like an interesting take on garlic bread. Just toasted in the skillet instead of baked.

Whaaaaa! I have a WHINE about the new Frequent Flyer. I got all excited about Tottins: muffin-sized tater tots filled with bacon, caramelized onion, and cheese. Then I realized itā€™s a recipe made from TJā€™s ingredients. I was all set to clean out the freezer!

6 Likes

Yay: I got the Spiced and Sweet pecans and like them. I liked the Candied pecans too.

Yay: I got the TJ Kimchi. Itā€™s very good. However itā€™s double the cost of the Cleveland kimchi and the latter explicitly says ā€˜live and active culturesā€™ while the TJ (made in Korea) does not - maybe different labeling practices? The taste of both is equally good, so I will be happy with either but will likely stay loyal to the Cleveland product.

Yay: Fig and olive crackers. Nice on their own or with cheese or a dip.

I got the Gochujang and am looking forward to trying an Eric Kim recipe or two this month.

The palak paneer runs out very quickly in our store. I got a couple of boxes, but on recent trips there is an empty spot on the shelf.

5 Likes

This is my new favorite recipe with gochujang!

3 Likes