Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

meant ‘blt’ not bly; ‘and,’ not ahd; the downside of multitasking.

1 Like

I buy yogurt with toum from a local restaurant. I’m addicted. Have wanted to buy yogurt and add toum myself to save money.

1 Like

Howdy TJ fans, good read. My take on yays, mehs, and the absolute musts

The musts:
Dark choc covered cherries - Thats how we know that we need to go. When we are out
Mini ice cream cones
Pork Gyoza potstickers
Chips - alternating between ghost pepper and white truffle
Almond butter filled pretzel nuggets
Ciabatta rolls - goes straight to the freezer
Shawarma flavored Chicken
Frozen Mexican style corn

Yay
Romesco dip - tho I havent seen in some time
Eggplant garlic spread - good with Sabich-like egg sandwiches
Guajillo salsa - dont waste your time with anything else especially if you like spicy
Veg fried rice
Frozen Argentinian shrimp
Dar choc orange sticks

Nay
Pork loins
Korean short ribs
Soups (other than the lentil perhaps)
Avocado - always flavorless
Cant think of anything else tho there’s plenty

I dont think I ever tried any of the Indian stuff. Maybe its time

5 Likes

Those dark chocolate covered cherries are fantastic - this is coming from someone who doesn’t like chocolate and fruit together.

2 Likes

I bought the Gochujang when it first appeared but haven’t opened it yet. How do you like to use it?

And yeah, those cut butternut squash go fast. Very handy if you feel like making butternut squash soup (or whatever) tonight, but very dicey if you’re waiting any longer than that.

Next time please post in reverse order so I can stop reading at YAY, those must haves are going to cost me hours of gym time!

2 Likes

I saw that, will definitely get around to trying. My brother sent a photo of a rotisserie chicken made in his air fryer, we’re out of counter space but thinking better to ask for forgiveness than permission and what better way to ask for foriveness than a heritage chicken made on a rotisserie.

not sure if this is the right place for this but we talk a lot about TJs frozen meals:

1 Like

No one has a smaller kitchen than my daughter and she’s in love with her Sur la Tabla air fryer from Costco. She uses it several times a week; I like the slices of Chinese eggplant. I don’t want one … the only thing allowed to live on my biggest counter is the Kitchenaid mixer. When I need the Cuisinart I lug it back and forth.

3.49 today in Boston

I forgot to mention another must, frozen Kibbeh.

1 Like

Yay: That Trader Joe’s has started selling their cherry tomatoes in cardboard containers, not non-recyclable plastic (though there is still a plastic film atop).

Yay: Salsa Verde flavoured corn chips. Addictive and good, and make a great base for nachos.

Yay: Candied pecans - seriously addictive.

Yay-ish: Super Seedy Cheese Snack Bites - basically cheese crackers with some quinoa and seeds embedded. The taste is not distinguishable from their Parmesan crackers (which are made of all cheese). These would make good salad croutons, but not so great for just snacking, which is just as well.

2 Likes

Have you tried the sweet and spicy pecans? I love those.

4 Likes

Are those different from the Candied Pecans? If yes, I will definitely look out for them on my next visit.

I’ve found candied ginger to be a great digestive aid as I get older. TJs here sells three different types in their nuts, etc, section. One is sliced rounds (pretty sweet compared to the others); one is thin pieces of varying size and shape; the third is cube-like. Other than the sweetness of the rounds, I really can’t tell how they’re different and they don’t ever seem to have all three in stock at the same time. Looking like a discontinue in the making here at least for one. Any experience with these?

5 Likes

I regularly buy the thin pieces of sugary ginger. I think it’s called Crystallized Ginger. The cubes are IIRC called Candied Ginger. I don’t know the difference between the two as to how they are made. Crystallized ginger is easier to cut than Candied ginger.
I love these and have a small piece about every day. If they discontinue this I will have major withdrawals.
A big Yay from me for this ginger.

3 Likes

Interesting. I find the thin, irregular pieces to be the hardest bite of all three and they also tend to have ‘thready strands’, probably because they’re larger and maybe processed differently. I’ll have to look more carefully at labeling. All three seem to be covered in sugar, so I’ve thought of all as “candied”. I think I’m kindof addicted, so I’m splitting hairs anyway.

1 Like

You are right about the thready strands. I cut the pieces small before use. I find the Crystallized ginger slices easier to cut with a knife, vs. the Candied ginger cubes that stick to the blade.

Ah. So I don’t cut any of them, except maybe the very largest pieces of the ‘thready’ ones if there are any.

I hope they haven’t been discontinued. They’re great out of hand, in salads, or with yogurt and fruit.

Now that I look at the candied pecans, it sure looks from the packaging like they’ve supplanted the sweet and spicy version, but without the spice. That would be a shame.

3 Likes