Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh 2017

Recall of the kholrabi salad blend! (Which i really love)
https://www.traderjoes.com/announcement/recall-potential-listeria-in-kohlrabi-salad-blend

Tried the TJs tamales tonight. Steamed and served with brisket chili. Loved the green chili and cheese one, the beef one lost out to the chili. Iā€™ll have to try it by itself next time.

Are these the ones made in Mexico?

Last time I got TJ sea salt it had a lot of sand in it- a lot. Ruined a pasta dish completely. Since then Iā€™vestuck with Mortonā€™s kosher or Maldon sea salt. Or the pink Himalayan, but I donā€™t use that much.

The Halen MĆ“n sea salt was fine regarding sand. though at that price I wont cook with it but just use it to finish.

Interestingly they import bread all the way from France now. Just noticed this milk bread, which is new to me.

I wonder if these are made by Brioche Pasquier. I love their pain au lait. Bonus points if they have the chocolate version!

Those green chile and cheese tamales are the ONLY TJ product I actually love and have cravings for. I also like their basic balsamic vinegar and the California olive oil - but I can get good balsamic and good olive oil any number of places. Those tamales, though ā€¦

1 Like

Are these the fresh ones in the refrigerator case? Iā€™m guessing they arenā€™t frozen.

Frozen, the cheese and chile are the best of a bad lot. The chicken and beef ones are terrible. The only thing saving the chille/cheese ones is drenching them with a 1:1 mix of their jarred tomatillo salsa verde and hatch chile salsa.

Thanks. We used to get the chile cheese many years ago, but havenā€™t in a while. Iā€™ve noticed some pork, I believe, in the refrigerator case here in the Boston area. Iā€™ll have to give them a try soon.

It was the frozen ones. I will pick up the chili/cheese ones again but not others. I put mine with chili that I made. I donā€™t have a microwave so I steamed them as i was heating the chili.

Anyone tried the new beef & pork uncured hot links yet?

I havenā€™t bought for a while, but TJ carries two lines of tamales. These made in Mexico:

and these

The ones from Mexico are better.

3 Likes

Ah, thanks, sck. Thatā€™s exactly what I was wondering about. My son is vegetarian, so Iā€™ll have to give the veggie ones from Mexico a try. The frozen cheese and chile are a tasty-enough freezer fall-back.

The refridgerated vegetarian ones have a fairly serious kick from the chilis from what I recall (i tasted them in store a while back, just too much cheese for me to buy). And you could always freeze any extras.

Oh, thanks, tr. Good to know.

1 Like

frustrating and disappointing trip to tjā€™s. last visit they were giving out samples of an excellent apple-cranberry tart and i made a note to pick one up next visit. . sounded like a fall item and indeed it had been scheduled through thanksgiving (i mean, really: cranberries!:slight_smile: but when i went back today, they had all ready sold their allotment.

plus, the truffled mac&cheese i loved from last winter is not coming back. and they were out of hazelnuts.

one the bright side, they have pints of humbolt ice cream for $1.99. But, accoring to the crew member i spoke to, that a once-a-year deal tjā€™s has with the humbolt. so, grab it while you can or wait until next year.

In our Tj in the Bay Area the humboldt ice creams in multiple flavor have been around for a few months

In addition to pain au lait They also carry some sliced french brioche now imported from France. Got a bag but havenā€™t tried yet

Saw they have manuka honey rom New Zealand. Heard about its antibiotic properties. Set that aside, do they taste any good? its pretty expensive at $13

$10 Single origin chocolate passport is back. Yay!