Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh 2017

Yes but they are really too dangerous to buy again, lol.

1 Like

Does anyone know the difference between this new chicken stock versus the ones they already have?

All I know is “free range” is meaningless

Yes. I agree. Just that they already have this. Unless its just purely a stock vs broth difference.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81bfWI704bL.SY450.jpg

Evaluations of some new products:

It tastes like basic boxed broth. I was underwhelmed.

Purple Maize cereal. Terrible, and salty. They might as well have made flakes out of the cereal box, because it would’ve been the same darn taste.

2 Likes

Which means it tastes like how their other stock tastes like then. Thanks.

Pretty much, won’t buy again and not even sure why I did given I’ve never been impressed with the broth before.

The Costco chicken stock is good for its price. Tastes actually like chicken.

That’s the one I keep around when I don’t have frozen homemade.

Milk Chocolate chocolate lover’s bar, a single origin bar sourced from Colombia, is a yeah. Smooth texture, lacks the puckering buttery feel of Cadbury, or the waxy bend rather than snap feel of Hersheys. There’s some complexity to it, but when I bite instead of letting it melt, I’m reminded of Hershey’s kisses.

1 Like

YAY: Just Beets beet chips. Good crunch, very beety flavor. If you’re one of those very few weirdos who don’t like beets, you definitely won’t like these.

YAY: Hatch Chile Mac & Cheese (frozen). I think their regular frozen mac & cheese is pretty decent, for what it is, and this is just the regular mac & cheese plus Hatch chiles. The only downside is that the Hatch version is in 12 oz portions as opposed to 14 oz for the regular.

1 Like

Meh to dried lemon slices, which are very pretty but taste gross in a limey soapy old sort of way.

Yay to the butternut squash fresh ravioli (made in Italy) — the pasta is delicate & thin. I served them in fresh sage browned butter and my mom made me go back to TJs for a couple more packages.

Yay to the jarred mustard garlic aioli, which has a nice sharpness and not a lot of calories.

Yay to the Unexpected Cheddar, which is delicious if you’re a fan of dry-ish aged cheddar w crystals.

and the Underwood canned pinot noir wine. (The TJ canned fizzy rosé was pretty awful tho!)

3 Likes

I’m not sure i understand this as a snack product
! Does the back of the package have serving ideas? I could only imagine using these in hot tea or maybe sangria

To me, the Unexpected Cheddar is similar to, but moister than, Dubliner. I like both.

Since @Souperman mentioned in this post that the Dark Chocolate Lover’s bar might be a repackaging of the Casa Luker 1906 Tumaco 85% Extra Dark bar:

And regarding the Milk Chocolate Lover’s Bar, Trader Joe’s says ‘we’ve been able to develop a milk chocolate version with this same supplier’. I looked up Casa Luker’s milk chocolate product line, and looks like they have a 45% milk as well.

Its definitely a yay. For $1.69, its a big yay.

The above pics are baking chocolate, I couldn’t quite find their bar chocolate product line.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the “Milk Chocolate Lover’s” bars at TJ’s already.

1 Like

Just stumbled across this fascinating document about how Casa Luker was driven out of business by violent threats in 2013 but was resuscitated by a partnership with USAID that also created a larger chocolate co-operative.