Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh 2017

That brioche is SO GOOD!! I had it at the tasting station a while back (too much dairy for me to manage) and it’s like eating a rich buttery fluffy cloud… might actually be worth the misery it would causes me.

Manuka honey has a specific flavor, not as sweet as a "regular " honey and has a more earthy and less floral flavor. Since i am not invested in using it as a health treatment it was a one time purchase for me.

Thanks for the chocolate passport intel, i always look forward to that!

i loved its richness, but it’s just a tad too sweet for my taste.

I thought I’d address the medicinal properties, even though you said to set that aside. Honey doesn’t have antibiotic properties, just antibacterial ones. There is quite a big difference. A reaction in the honey produces hydrogen peroxide through enzymes. Plus it acts to keep moisture in wounds, and as a thick barrier to protect them from exposure to bacteria/infections. Honey has a low pH, and high osmolarity from it’s high sugar content, both of which also prevent infection.

Manuka honey is one of the ones that doesn’t produce hydrogen peroxide. But from a medicinal point, have the other factors working. Plus a few unique tot he non-hydrogen peroxide honeys.

See this article for honeys actual medicinal properties. I was just reading this a few months ago and it immediately came to mind.

4 Likes

Still a pumpkin presence, but lots of holiday items today at the Burlington MA location. This season’s Snapdragon apples are loose rather than bagged (but Wegmans has the 2# bags for $3.99).

I suspect the white ceramic jar of truffle honey Dijon mustard will be an early sellout so got one to squirrel away. There is a new apple cranberry tea that I hope will be as good as the box they had many years ago.

The stalks of Brussels sprouts are in, and very large. Always eagerly awaited.

I was in the one here today and saw the brussel sprouts, just hope mine I have growing in the garden end up half that good looking. I love a shaved brussel sprouts in my salads. Missed the apples, I did find a couple of new ones at Sprouts and got one of each to try. Saw the mustard and almost picked up a jar. Maybe I’ll go back. Missed the tea, is it really good? Got some more of the cheese and green chili tamales. How is the goat milk brie? I picked one up.

I was at TJ’s today, bought three of the Snapdragon apples. Medium/Small apples, $.99 each. OK flavor, hint of spice and slightly sweet, not enough acid for me, consistency of a red delicious. Which I don’t care for. If it was as crisp as a Honey Crisp I think it would go onto my regular chomping list, but I will look out for them as an every now and then change of pace.

I held out some hope for my Brussels sprouts, but alas they succumbed to the frost last night in the Boston area. They hadn’t fully matured so I guess I’ll be buying mine at TJ’s.s Good luck with yours, joiei1!

1 Like

Delete

I think you got old/bad ones. They should be as crisp and almost as juicy as Honeycrisp, with a flavor close to Empire.

They didn’t look great, but TJ’s produce is usually mediocre in my opinion.

I just tried the snapdragon that I picked up at Sprouts the other day. It was crisp, but too sweet for me. Haven’t had a red delicious in so long I do not remember them. I though it was sweeter than a honeycrisp. Had a Koru the other day and loved it. As crisp as a honey crisp but not as sweet. Why do Americans want everything to be so sugary sweet?

1 Like

YAY: The Blue Cheese Stuffed Giant Halkidiki Olives are back. Seasonal, so get them while you can. Still my favorite Martini olives.

5 Likes

That is great news!!!

3 Likes

Last Friday I broke down and ordered some blue-cheese-stuffed Halkidiki olives from Amazon. Almost as good as TJ’s, but way more expensive ($10/jar). So of course, the next morning I went to TJ’s and they were back (but only one jar on the shelf, so it looks like they go fast).

1 Like

I scored 4 jars at TJ’s on Sunday. Yum.

A friend in Charlotte looks forward to the seasonal gingerbread mix. She tells me this year it is a different box, and the result is dry and bland compared to past years.

So, they’ve dropped the Kitchen Sink Dunker price from $4.29 to $1.99, which probably spells discontinuation. Blast!!!

Mixed Verdict: 3-flavor scalloped crackers. We’ve only tried the rosemary ones; I loved them, but Jody thought they had an odd texture.

NAY: Slow Cooked Beef Stew (refrigerated item), which I am eating right now. More like soup than stew, which I think of as having a higher solids-to-broth ratio than this does. Also, the broth is kind of flavorless. ETA: and the meat is a little dry & tough.

YAY!! Jar of organic Kalamon olives are back! Mild and super creamy, they come packed in delicious olive oil- aka my favorite ingredient for salad dressing right now

YAY- cinnamon stars cookies are back, they’re nut based and i think from germany? A smallish box, not overwhelming spices and a softer texture, not too sweet

YAY- new frozen jackfruit curry, in coconut milk based curry sauce with veggies and rice. Definitely some heat but didn’t take me down, good sized portion that’s filling

YAY- kale cashew pesto, great addition to a bowl of soup, as a dip for veggies, etc… dairy free!

Spotted: new frozen mini greek spirals appetizer, lots of holiday chocolates, new stroopwaffles in a cute tin, gingerbread cookie sticks, new frozen cauliflower cheesey dip, almond kringle is back…

1 Like

I think the cinnamon stars this year are much sweeter, and too much cinnamon. Last year I loved them. This year I ate one and gave the rest away.