Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh - 2016

Love the Salsa Verde, though we have noticed it seems to be a bit more liquid than it used to be.

1 Like

The cowboy caviar is with the salsas but not sure if it qualifies as oneā€¦ Either way itā€™s very tasty, not hot.

1 Like

Not sure if I (or anyone else) mentioned it, but the TJā€™s habanero sauce kicks some serious ass. Like, it really brings the heat. Love it.

1 Like

Another vote for the cowboy caviar. the corn salsa is also good if you want a sweet component. We usually use it as a condiment with fajitas, or burritos, but we also add Tapatio/habanero hot sauce to our portion for heat.

1 Like

I bought some thin, lemon crisp cookies. I forget the name, I ate them all! I think they also came in ginger. I loved them. They reminded me of cookies I bought years ago from Crabtree and Evelyn. Yes, they used to sell cookies in a tube-shaped tin (kind of like Pringles) in orange and lemon and maybe other flavors. They stopped selling them years ago but these remind me of those.

1 Like

With the predicted return of 90F+ temps, I made a special trip to TJā€™s today for more canned Matar Paneer. Shelf empty - clerk said thereā€™s a warehouse hold on all 3 varieties for what heā€™d heard was ā€œa minor issueā€. No further details that he knew. Blast! Though this does make me wonder if the Dal Makhani I had for lunch Monday (along with a bit of homecooked lentils and rice that was left over in my fridge) was responsible for the frequent runs that were the main theme of the rest of that day and evening. Iā€™d chalked it up to the excessively hot day, and had no other discomfort along with it. Nor did I have a problem with the Matar Paneer that I had some days prior.

Are people seeing the Dark Chocolate Loverā€™s Chocolate Bar? The TJs I go to hasnā€™t had it for over two weeks, and Iā€™m having to ration my reserves for eating with fresh figs.

You have fresh figs. I donā€™t feel bad for you.

3 Likes

Yes!! Theyā€™re either annaā€™s or similarā€¦ The ginger is wonderful too
http://www.shopbiscoff.com/category/annas-thins

Oddā€¦ Our TJs still had the cans as of yesterday evening. I was there with a friend and she bought them to try when I pointed them out to her and said I got a couple to try too.

That being said, we didnā€™t care for them. I ended up heating up both cans last night and made fresh rotis to go with them. The Dal Makhani had an odd consistency, like the lentils were whole and the liquid was too watery. A good Dal Makhani is cooked until the lentils are starting to break, resulting in a creamy, slightly thickened texture. The Matar Paneer were a bit better, but we thought they had an odd sweetness to them, and werenā€™t fans of the paneerā€™s consistency. Liked the idea but wonā€™t be buying these again. Weā€™ll stick to the frozen entrees. (Side note: no upset stomachs here)

I bought it last week, it was by the register

1 Like

Definitely not Annaā€™s, I think it was a TJā€™s brand. But probably similar if not packaged by the same company!

Hatch Valley Salsa is the one I like best. Nice flavor, heat (most of the others are way too mild).

2 Likes

The madras lentils in the box are very good, very mild not at all spicy hot, and they do have that proper dal texture. They have dairy which i learned the hard way (dairy hates me) , but would be a good pantry standby if you like them.

1 Like

Weā€™ve tried those before but we prefer a bit more stronger flavor. I usually buy the packaged Ashoka foods from the Indian store. Those have a much stronger flavor (spice and heat). We eat spicy foods in our house so we prefer that stronger flavor. But we do like the frozen Palak Paneer from TJs, since Palak Paneer normally isnā€™t very spicy, and we also like the Chana Masala in a pinch if I donā€™t have time to make my own.

1 Like

Meh/yay for the Fig and Olive crackers. Great flavor but not quite crispy enough.

I hope I didnā€™t already post this, but I buy the TJā€™s full cream yogurt to add to my dogā€™s dinner. I will add that my doggie doesnā€™t fart, because of Trader Joeā€™s, and that, for us, is HUGE. And sheā€™s at least 15 years old. I buy the full cream because itā€™s less tart and she doesnā€™t have a weight problem

2 Likes

Yeah, nice flavor but not crispy enough and the dried figs are kind of chewy. Seems like a well-intentioned attempt to replicate the success of the rosemary-raisin crackers (which are still among my favorites); good idea, but the execution isnā€™t perfect.

I donā€™t think itā€™s new, but NAY on the organic carrot ginger soup in the refrigerated section. So very bland, and I could hardly taste any ginger.

If someoneā€™s willing to put a hammer to the slab to break it apart, the ~$14 Himalayan sea salt slab will provide enough Himalayan pink sea salt to last a life time. Of course, they probably meant it for other purposes.