Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh - 2016

“Genetic mutant”… child or ex? :joy:

2 Likes

My son. I just became an empty nester after twenty years as a single dad.

1 Like

This is a favorite of mine, the smoked Ghost Pepper grinder. I’m not certain of when the “season” is, but they carry it on and off.

I wish the opening on the grinder wasn’t as large. More smoked pepper falls out than gets ground.

Agreed! Using like a shaker usually works just fine.

Well the store is like a mango exploded into everything right now- tons of new products with mango. I love the frozen mango semi defrosted as a snack or dessert but don’t see myself buying items such as the mango cereal, mango joe-joe’s, mango coconut popcorn, or mango waffles.
MEH- I did pick up the fresh mango jicama slaw which was very good but I wasn’t the biggest fan of the salad dressing it comes with and at $4.99 it felt expensive since it’s mostly cabbage.
YAY!!
Mango mango mochi, with mango sorbet inside, are really delicious. And vegan! I love mochi yet it’s nearly impossible to find with nondairy ice cream.
YAYYAYYAY!!!
“Not your father’s root beer”, for sale elsewhere for several dollars more per six pack, but as always you can buy by the bottle at TJs. Quite tasty alchoholic root beer- even better with a squeeze of lime over ice or for a root beer float. Tastes very sweet to me but i never drink regular soda, the ice or ice cream helps temper that

HUUUGE NAY!!?? Shrimp Spring Rolls!!!? Oh I wanted these to be a good quick lunch. The $4.49 price seemed reasonable if they were good.

First impression (maybe I should have noticed this in the store) was that the rice noodle skins were not wrapped tightly around their contents at all. So much so that it started to fall apart as soon as I picked up the first one. I tried to open the second one and re-wrap it tighter, but that didn’t seem to get the job done. It wouldn’t stay wrapped. Hard to dip a roll if you have to have it completely cupped in your hand.

Next… “Shrimp rolls” implies that there’s shrimp in them. Not so much. Maybe one smallish shrimp cut in two pieces in each one… maybe.

The dipping sauce was OK.

Danger Will Robinson. Danger!!!

I’ve done some fill in work near a TJ and the only thing I pick up is bread and cheese. It’s usually my lunch that day. I buy very little pre made packaged foods so I see little to buy

I’m not a fan of the shrimp ones, but I like the tofu ones. They are a little cheaper than the shrimp ones too.

My YAYs this week:
The sample at the counter this week was a quesadilla with a filling of colby jack cheese and their Cowboy Caviar. We usually like the Cowboy Caviar with tortilla chips or as a accompaniment to fajitas, but I never thought of putting it in a quesadilla. It was great that way!

The Crumbly Gorgonzola – got this on a whim as I was trying to decide if I needed more cheese in the house. There was a team member restocking the cheese and saw me thinking and said the Gorgonzola was her favorite one out of the blue cheeses they have. I had it with some grapes and a couple crackers last night with a glass of wine. Strong, but good.

Oh no! Definitely stay away from all the prepared wraps/sandwiches/sushi stuff. The box salad lunches are hit or miss, the super spinach is a repeat buy for me

1 Like

YEA+ for the new canned Matar Paneer (their spelling - I’ve always seen “mutter”), which is as good as most of the local suburban Boston Indian restaurants offer. 14oz can, $1.99. There are two other varieties - Channa Dal and Dal Makhani - but I only got the one can.

Oh, grey, thanks for that. It will be perfect for a quick snack for my vegetarian son. I’ll try the two dals as well.

Good to know. Being Indian, we do cook and eat Indian food fairly often, but I like to supplement my home cooked food with TJ’s Indian entrees on weekdays in an effort to save some time. :slight_smile:

Do post back once you’ve tried them. It would be nice to hear the opinion of folks with more experience of Indian dishes than I (a more or less typical white American of European descent).

1 Like

The madras lentils (on the shelf) are excellent, very mild. Perfect over rice for a quick meal. The (frozen) vegan tikka masala is also quite good- not very spicy at all- but might be small for a teenaged boy meal

The pouch-in-a-box of Eggplant Punjabi for $2-2.50 is decent, and a good emergency meal to have tucked away at work. Adding fresh cilantro and some leftover chicken makes it pretty good. I like the spicing, though I might add hot sauce sometimes.

I happened to go to TJs last night and picked up a can of the Dal Makhani and a can of the Matar Paneer. We’ll be trying them sometime during the week, so I will report back! :slight_smile: We do like their frozen entrees like the Chana Masala and the Palak Paneer, and DH is a big fan of the Lamb Vindaloo. And we always have a couple packs of their garlic naan in our freezer!

1 Like

Big YAY to the Salty, Sweet & Nutty Trek Mix (despite their unforgivable omission of the Oxford Comma). I generally don’t bother buying prepared trail mix, because trail mix designers usually operate under the bizarre delusion that raisins belong in trail mix. This one is peanuts (salted, honey-roasted, and candied), almonds, cashews, and brittle. I took a pound on my 6-day backpacking trip last week and actually just about finished it (more to the point, I never got to the point of being repulsed by it). Very tasty, and a nice balance of salty and sweet. I could actually see putting this out as a snack at parties.

1 Like

My son had the chana masala last night and said he felt it was comparable to the frozen chana. I didn’t get a chance to try it. It will be convenient to have the cans around when my freezer is filled to the brim, as it often is, and also if he wants to grab a couple of cans when he’s away for the night at a place that isn’t veg-friendly.

1 Like

Any yays for TJ salsas? I haven’t tried all of them but want to see if there are recommendations. Thanks.

I have tried them all. The “Double Roasted Salsa” is the only one I like.

1 Like