Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh - 2016

I love the Alsatian Onion Tart, but use it primarily as an ingredient. I heat it up, scoop out the innards, and mix them in with scrambled eggs. Works for me.

The first time I made the AOT, I used a lower temp since I was baking something else at the same time. It was a tad underdone, and I found the onion taste too sharp (though I AM an onion lover). So I gave it another try, following the package directions, and still they were sharp, rather than caramelized, as AOT should be. So, NAY for me.

Whoopie-ti-yi-YEA! I think these are new: TJ heirloom tangerines. These are as large as the Sky Valley navels were this year. They do have seeds, but peel very cleanly, and are exceptionally sweet and juicy.

YEA - new plantain chips. Bag is olive green and yellow-gold, and the chips are thin like potato chips, rather than the thicker crosswise slices in the magenta-purple bag.

1 Like

Yea for the pecan Kringle. The icing is a bit much, but scrape most of it off and itā€™s great.

why not just make up a batch of caramelized onions? i do 5 lbs at a time in the oven, which yields about 3 cups. they freeze beautifully. i use them, along with bacon lardons, to make a frittata.

1 Like

The frozen apricots are a YEA for me. I stumbled into a new goodie, which is to chop up a couple, then stir them into plain Greek yogurt along with a dollop of canned Solo almond filling. Serendipitously, I had a partial can left from baking; it is quite sweet so no additional sweetening is needed. Soaking dried apricots for a half hour or so would probably yield something similar to the frozen TJ product.

YAY- recently reunited with the pumpernickle pretzel sticks, which they have carrie for years, such great intense pumpernickle flavor! I love them with a little bit of almond butter or peanut butter or alongside tomato soup.

YAY- new Kalamon olives (same as kalamata, just grown outside of the proper region) theyā€™re organic, pitted, and packed in olive oil. Very plump and less salt than other kalamatas. The olive oil they are packed in is also delicious- iā€™ve been using it for salad dressing

Coming Soon to the West coast TJs:
My parentsā€™ friends work for a produce packaging company and gave them several packages of new items that will be sold in trader joeā€™s in CA initially.
Broccoli stem ā€œchipsā€- peeled raw broccoli stems cut in rounds
Fresh cauliflower rice- although my mom described it as a bit larger than the frozen kind they sell now
Butternut squash fries- raw butternut squash cut into fry shapes

YAY for the frozen wild cod from Alaska. Great price, good flavor.

Is this the cod that also comes in pieces? Makes good fish and chips.

1 Like

This was a couple of pieces ā€“ one about 13 oz, the other about 3.

I recommend thawing it well ahead of cooking, and wrapping it in paper towels. Thereā€™s a lot of moisture; I probably used 3 sets of paper towels. That is, if you want a good sear. I suppose it would be nice poached or baked, too.

Did you really mean 13 and 3?

The package was roughly a pound. A very big filet, and a small, tenderloin-ish strip.

So, yeah. Thatā€™s what I meant/guestimated.

1 Like

Favorite in-a-pinch entree: their raw frozen Korean short ribs. Refreshingly short, and relatively authentic, list of ingredients. Itā€™s not a large amount of meat in each pack, about six fairly thin slabs, including one thatā€™s usually really small, but the price is good and itā€™s quite tasty.

Thanks for that. I would have totally passed them over.

The pouch of raw bulgogi is good too, and also the refrigerated (cooked) pulled pork and pulled beef brisket. I havenā€™t tried the pulled chicken.

Ah, it might save me a quick run to HMart when a bibimbap craving hits and I havenā€™t had time to marinate any meat.

We tried the raw bulgogi twice and thought it was too salty. :frowning:

It IS salty - I canā€™t recall ever having a dish involving soy-based marinade that ISNā€™T highly salted. I eat such items with unsalted rice/noodles so the mouthful equals things out somewhat.

YAY for the hot smoked salmon spread (near the cheeses).

YAY (sorta) for the battered cod pieces. Make for a quick dinner. They could be crispier, tho.