Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh - 2016

YAY for the turkey meatballs, which isn’t really news for everyone who’s been YAYing them in the past. Had them in tomato sauce with feta last night. Tasty, and actually good turkey flavor.

1 Like

I meant to ask: are the flavored quarts also Double Rainbow? If they are, I’m in trouble.

Also, I googled and found a Double Rainbow ice cream shop in Pelham, NY.

Well I’m sure it’s been mentioned if this is a recurring topic, but the frozen chocolate croissants are like friggin’ crack. Remove from box and place on baking sheet the night before. At this point they look like a wast of 3.95. Over night they rise, bake for the time on the box and then go back and get more cause you’re gonna need more.

Has anyone seen the frozen Kougin Amman (“Queen of Croissants”) lately? They were my go-to ‘guest breakfast’ pastry but now I can’t find them anywhere. I’m assuming they’re just the latest fan-favorite product to go to the big TJ’s in the sky, but I’m hoping they’ll pop up again.

Ultra Chocolate ice cream and raspberry sorbet are tasty.

1 Like

Oy, another list of ‘must haves’!

:+1: Famille Perrin Reserve cote de rhone for $8.99 a bottle.
($12.99 on special in the NH state stores)

:+1: thin frozen asparagus.

:+1: Trader Jacques salted butter, not too salty.

:-1: Trader Joes flat bread, like cardboard

(Peabody MA store)

Still available in Houston!

Not here in Northern California. :frowning:

Actually, my sister just called from TJ! She was looking for this and the manager told her it is a seasonal item. I guess during the holidays. Must have recently departed! :unamused:

Kouign Amann seasonal? If that’s so, it’s a change. It started out as a year-round item, as is the frozen almond croissant, which is almost as good.

Corned beef is in (Arlington MA store). I saw a man stocking up on the pre-cooked ones and asked him about them. He said he is a big corned beef fan and these are the best he has found and he always stocks up on them in early March. He also said the wet, uncooked ones are not good. I found one that had some nice fattiness and will give it a try.

I’m so glad my feeble, old brain remembered this post of yours! I’ve removed them from the box and have in the bamboo steamer. Figure the more they thaw the better? I’m with you re chicken but if they’re tasty I can live with that. Unfortunately I’ll have to share with Bob :slight_smile: Thanks, lingua.

Their motorized cart was sent to Lourdes (without me i9 it! :grimacing:) so I was there just long enough to grab a bag of heirloom navels from what’s probably the last of the season, and something new which I’ve yet to try: frozen partially-dried apricots. They were in the car too long so were thawed by the time I got home and I’ve refrozen them unopened so I won’t be able to assess them accurately.

YAY – Mac and Cheese with Hatch chilies

They were sampling this the other day and we really liked it. It’s got a nice green chile flavor, without being overly spicy. Bought 2 boxes, and had them last night along with some panko breaded chicken tenders (done in the air fryer) and some steamed broccoli.

1 Like

I just nuked them & they came out fine.

Gingerbread mix still available in my local TJs, yay for that, but nay because I baked one and ate half of it last night, all by myself :wink:

We both liked them a lot! I think next time I’ll not have the water boiling as rapidly as most of the broth leaked out. It leaked onto parchment paper so I tasted and like it also. I want to buy them all :slight_smile: to have a ready supply and also so TJs will know how much somebody liked them :slight_smile: Again thanks.

Somebody please remind me that the Butternut Squash soup in the long life carton is vile and not to buy it again. It tastes of the carton. Major NAY

1 Like

Update: Double Rainbow let me know that the DR ice cream parlor in Pelham, NY, does not sell their ice cream. Why they allowed them to keep the name is anyone’s guess.

BoneAppetite, if the Ultra Chocolate is DR, I can’t wait to try it.