Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh - 2016

I’ve always liked the battered halibut.

Don’t think I’ve tried that yet.

YAY for the olive oil with lemon. It’s literally just olive oil with lemon juice, so I suppose you could just as well do this yourself, but for only $4 a bottle, it’s a quick and easy drizzle for fish or veggies, or an fast simple salad dressing.

1 Like

Re: Kougin Amman – I read earlier today that the company behind the frozen ones had bitten the dust some time ago, so I guess they are history. Unless someone else decides to give’s a try.

Re: Mac’n’Cheese w/ Hatch Chiles: to each his own; I like it okay, but when I make a similar dish I load those chiles in there. TJ’s is pretty wimpy for my taste. Nice lunch item though.

I got a second-hand Nay handed to me yesterday, believe it or not by a TJ’s demo person. I had just gotten some frozen tamales to have with the vegetarian chili, and out of the blue she said, motto voce, “You know that vegetarian chili that was so good? Well, they’ve changed it completely, we all tried it, and it’s AWFUL! No flavor at all – everybody just hated it!”

1 Like

I think it was the same company that made them for Williams-Sonoma, if that helps.

YAY to the hot habanero sauce. They’re not fucking around with this one. Use at your own risk.

The coffee ice cream is right up there with the chocolate and vanilla IMO

I’ve nuked the soup dumplings both thawed and from frozen. The thawed batch leaked almost all their broth, even with an adjusted cook time, while those nuked from frozen have not leaked.

This just popped up! Glad to know as I just bought some more. Thanks.

i have missed the old trader joe’s light coconut milk. so, i was excited to hear that there was finally a replacement. what a disappointment. have to shake it hard, and the texture is much thinner that the discontinued product.

Is the replacement the organic one? I noticed but did not buy it since I still have several cans of the light CM. I don’t remember if the new can was light or regular - definitely not coconut cream, though.

yes, it is the organic can, but it doesn’t say light. i don’t have any of the original left to compare, but the new organic version has 110 calories per 1/4 cup. as i said, the texture is thinner and not as smooth.

The latest organic one is just water and coconut extract. It’s possible the extra ingredients in the old ones gave the thicker, smooth result. That could help you find a similar product in another store.

that’s the thing – according the the amazon site (i used my last can a while ago), the only ingredients are coconut milk and water. but, it never separated and the texture was always smooth. of course, it’s $10/can on amazon.

i’ve been using the evergreen brand, which does have guar gum, citric acid and a couple of other additives. not ideal, but it’s always in stock at my local supermarket.

I’ve got one in my freezer. What do you think I can get for it on ebay?

1 Like

Yay- 20/ 25 Uncooked, peeled and deveined wild Argentinian red shrimp is back in stock in NorCal. forgot the price. think its about $8 or $9. 1 pound bag.

1 Like

YAY: Bacon Jam (new item). Gives a nice flavor kick if you add just a little bit to sauces and such (so far I’ve used it in a pan sauce for pork chops, salad dressing, and dipping sauce for artichokes), and adding a bit more it makes for a really nice grilled cheese sandwich.

1 Like

BIG YAY-
Just got back from TJ"S and right now they have raspberry kringles, probably (i’m guessing) going to have them thru mother’s day.My new favorite of the ones i’ve tried

Mine had pecan kringles about 3 weeks ago.