Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh - 2016

I tend to keep them for quite a while before using them so I may not be the best person to ask, but I think it’s fine for cooked purposes. It doesn’t have fresh enough taste for plain whipped cream. Be sure to shake it up very well before opening it, or else put it in the blender for a moment, because it does separate. The first time I used it I didn’t know this, and thought it was too thin because I only poured out 2 oz, after minimal shaking.

Burlington MA today - boo hoo, the heirloom navels are all gone. Is anyone who shops in Acton, Arlington, or Nashua seeing them? Glad I at least got a bag last month. I think I bought them 3 times last year. I bought a bag of (MEH) Moro blood oranges instead.

I had a similar experience. Mine separated so completely that it would not have been usable for whipping.

I bought Scandinavian Swimmers- sea creature gummies today at Cambridge. My husband is really the gummy person in the family, so I can’t comment yet but I love the sea horse shapes.

I also was talked into buying today’s sample (by my own child)- frozen chicken parm. We don’t usually do prepared frozen dinners, but my little sprout gobbled it up and begged. It tasted pretty good for a quick microwave job.

I also picked up a bottle of balsamic glaze- other similar products (even at the Italian specialty shop in Davis, Pepe Bocca) have added sugar and other ingredients. This one is vinegar with a little starch. Will report back.

YEA - The Mexican asparagus is so thin that it would slip right through a drinking straw. There’s not much trimming needed, and it’s good. $1.99/# is a great price. This was Burlington, MA.

Trader Joe’s opens their very first store in Oklahoma in 2 weeks not far from my house. Needless to say, we’re so excited, Can’t wait to try it.

1 Like

I am a big gummy fan, but I am a nay on the Scandinavian swimmers. They are unusually sweet, almost too sweet, even though its a bit odd to say that about a candy. I couldn’t finish more than a few pieces.

YAY
Organic clementines just $3.99, no seeds and easy to peel, super juicy

YAY
Marinated olive duo with lemon zest- plump olives with pits, very snackable! Non resealable package though

YAY-ish
Spicy greens mix- it’s a great mix but not spicy , better off with the arugala if you need salad greens with a kick

NAY
Trader joe’s version of sleepytime tea, underwhelming and lacking much flavor at all

Big blech to the Whole Grain & Flax bread. Sweetened cardboard is more like it.

YAY for both the goat milk brie and the mozzarella cheese.

1 Like

JOY UPON JOY! The Burlington, MA store had Sky Valley heirloom navels back today - 2 weeks ago they had none and told me they’d only gotten one load this year and couldn’t get more.

2 Likes

MEGA-YAY for the raw, ez-peel shrimp (frozen). Best tasting frozen shrimp I’ve had in a while.

Red Boat in SoCal too! About a year ago the resident Taste Samples Diva told me she was sure TJ would NEVER have fish sauce, so when I spotted this thread I put it on my list, even though I’d ordered two 500ml bottles via Amazon. Yup, little bottle right there, just enough to tide me over …

I am very much enjoying the various frozen pasta dishes. Last night for (informal) company I cooked up two bags of the fettuccine with mushrooms and served that with a salad, and later got to thinking this would make a great shortcut for a tuna-noodle casserole – just add tuna and peas, stir in an egg off the heat and pour into a casserole dish with cheese on top. Or however YOUR mom made it …

Me too. I keep a couple in the freezer in case what I planned doesn’t appeal.

Haven’t been in a LONG while, I’m unimpressed with their variety. I know, it’s a beloved place, but you can’t please all of the people, et cetera.

However, I happened to be where they are in Hartsdale, NY, today, and needed milk, just milk, and wasn’t up to trying Best Market. I will get back there one day.

Spent more than a little time wandering, and almost walked out with just milk - didn’t have my list of the stuff I wanted to try, per the advice on CH, e.g., their Kringles, and frozen churros, and the key lime cookies, which aren’t in stock yet - and happened upon their ice cream.

Okay, says I, the dog needs ice cream, but since they were out of the quarts of vanilla, I spied a half gallon. Yes, you read right, a HALF GALLON. Since they are extinct in supermarkets, I picked one up to read the ingredients. Again, like the Dodo, this one had NO whey and CREAM was the first ingredient. So I had to buy it, didn’t I? So I did. At $6.00 for a HALF GALLON, it was cheap.

Well, I’m here to testify that it is outstanding. Dense, so no air, like the disgusting Friendly and the disgustinger Turkey Hill. Never mind about Breyers, they don’t even count anymore. Haagen Dazs and Ben and Jerry were my go to pints, until Yuengling came along. But not all the supermarkets carry them.

At any rate, it’s going to be very hard to stay away until the half gallon is no more. Will the dog know if I eat more than he?:grin:

TJ vanilla is actually the venerable Double Rainbow, known as a very low overrun product (most commercial ice cream is half air, or 100% overrun). Somehow we doubt that the Pride of Racine will soon appear in a TJ package.

I keep some the clam linguini for late night snack. I can find fault with the pastas and the sauces of course, but there isn’t much that’s better for the price, hot, savory and comfortable unless I am willing to cook myself.

Interesting on the ice cream.

Oh, but it has already. I just didn’t remember to look for it. It is seasonal, though, like the key lime cookies:

http://www.thesecondlunch.com/2014/11/buy-a-kringle-at-trader-joes/

We apologize for not being clear; the Kringle in the O&H package and not rebranded like the ice cream.

Got it, thanks.