Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2020

Thanks for posting. I just saw the news on Twitter and came here to do the same. Sad indeed. Heck of a vision he had.

2 Likes

Sad. What a vision he had!

2 Likes

Nay on the Elote Corn Chips. I find them weirdly bland and spicy both. A similar profile on a corn chip but with much more flavor, IMO, is Doritos Cool Ranch.

Also, first time ever bought some TJ shelf stable pasta - Orechiette - because I wanted the shape and my regular brand doesn’t carry it. They disintegrated almost entirely while cooking. I don’t have any notion why, but when cooked, they looked more like spaetzle than little ears.

2 Likes

I’m gonna go with Meh on these.
I was looking for an easy hot breakfast for the kid while I’m getting ready for work/school in the morning along the lines of TJs chocolate/almond croissants. Although you have to proof the croissants overnight, you just pop them in the toaster oven when you’re in the shower and they are done when you get out.
The instructions for these, however, are to take them out and let them thaw a bit while the oven preheats, then put them on a parchment lined baking sheet, then check with a thermometer for a temp of 165 to se when they are done?! Also there are 4 in the box but they package 2 together in a wrapper and they are frozen together, so if you just want to make one it is a pain to separate them as the cheese/ham falls off. Taste wise they’re pretty good, but mine came a little soggy on the bottom but perfect on top.

2 Likes

I like one as part of a soup meal. You can bake them in a toaster oven. Parchment keeps the melted cheese from scorching o Nto the baking tray.

I’ve watched some of this fellow’s videos, but as his basis for comparison is ingredient purity rather than flavor, or even nutrition, they’re of limited interest to me. And he’s wrong about some of the basics, e.g., confusing legumes with tubers.

NAY: Panic shopping. My TJ’s (Masonic, SF) was a nightmare this morning, with cars backed up half a block from the parking lot entrance 10 minutes after opening.

Red boat hands down my favorite fish sauce.

4 Likes

Well, if TJ is like my local Safeway, there should be plenty of chips and coffee beans left.

1 Like

At my TJ’s, at opening Saturday morning, there were plenty of tortilla chips but none of the corn chip dippers (elote or plain), and very few potato chips left.

Here’s an amusing look at the foods people aren’t panic-buying, including Trader Joe’s chocolate hummus.

1 Like

Interesting. I was in TJ’s late Friday afternoon and the only thing left in the frozen vegetable area was kale gnocchi which made me laugh. (By early the next morning they were largely restocked.)

1 Like

Someone on FB posted that they should really confuse cashiers and have a shopping cart full of things like pimientos, spray cheese, Funyuns, etc.

1 Like

ha, I bought pork and kale, happy to eat the weird stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When life gives you lemons http://www.dinneralovestory.com/pork-chops-with-kale/

YAY: Olive & Herb Mixed Nuts. It sounds odd, but it works–the dried olives among the nuts are a great flavor accent.
YAY: Trader Joe’s employees. Today they were especially friendly and cheerful while also being safety-focused, all in a hugely difficult situation.

6 Likes

How’s the tinned smoked trout?

I like it a lot. Not as good as non-canned, of course, but I use it in a smoked-trout spread (with sour cream, cream cheese, etc.), and yesterday for lunch I made myself a smoked trout sandwich (just mixing in mayo, chopped capers, pepper, and lemon juice).

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m going to give it a try. I’m kind of tired of canned tuna.

1 Like