Trader Joe’s Yea/Nay/Meh 2018

MEH: the frozen kung pao tempura cauliflower. Nice idea, and the flavor of the sauce was good, but the batter is too doughy they came out more mushy than crisp.

That’s interesting - I liked the cauliflower chunks, but not the sauce! Reheated in the oven.

Sauce was too sweet, as with most TJ asian frozen entree sauces.

They’re typically sweeter than the dish they’re meant to emulate, though that doesn’t bother me.

I heated in the oven at the recommended temperature for the maximum time in the suggested range, and there were bits of crunchiness but they didn’t crisp up nearly as much as I’d have hoped.

YAY: Nuts About Rosemary (rosemary mixed nuts). Rosemary is not overwhelming, but definitely there. The mix is a little too almond-heavy, but that’s not a huge complaint.

2 Likes

A big YAY! The seasonal truffle honey mustard is back, get it while you can!

1 Like

The fromage pavé is back :slight_smile:

yes it is! i love the texture, but i found the flavor a bit lacking. however, can’t buy it again because i’ll just eat the whole thing in one shot.

I was disappointed not to find it, but maybe it’s just as well!

It needs to be out of the fridge for at least an hour. Then you’ll get plenty of flavor.

The kung pao part is what scared me off… was it actually spicy?? I’m a total wimp!

thanks. if it’s in stock the next time i’m there, i’ll have to try it.

Hmm. I just remember it being very sweet, but then my spice tolerance is probably a bit more than yours.

That said, I usually skip the sauce on the TJ asian entrees anyway because they’re all too sweet, so you could taste the sauce and skip it or doctor it if it’s too spicy. Not having to batter and fry the cauliflower yourself is the real win here!

1 Like

Thanks! Is the sauce seperate…? Maybe i can make them and nix the sauce if it’s too spicy/sweet and swap in something else.

Yes, it’s in a pouch inside the packaging.

Oooh! Yay! K, i’ll definitely give it a go then, probably in CA where my dad will share with me and the oven is predictable

… and I had it last night and it is just as good as last year - YAY!!!

1 Like

Royaal Grand Cru. Very tasty 12-month Gouda by Beemster. Similar in texture to Old Amsterdam, but much better flavor. Very caramelly, and has crystals.

7 Likes

Sounds amazing. Thanks!

1 Like

does anyone know if tjs is still carrying the acb (almond butter cocoa) bars i gave a yea to in early fall. i forgot to look the last few times i was there. and there is so much holiday merchandise…

hoping they haven’t been discontinued.

Went back for more Grand Cru. “Sorry, it’s seasonal”