Top Chef Season 17

That snippet must have been from a future episode. I don’t see it in this one.

2 Likes

I did watch finally tonight. Was thrilled to see the Top 3 in the EC, loved who won. I expected to see the Bottom 3 after judges’ comments after they ate the dishes prior to JT. Wasn’t sure which would go home.

Haven’t yet watched LCK.

1 Like

As did I. I have not seen LCK either - I couldn’t get it to play. I’ll try later. On another note, I had no idea Kevin had been so ill, and his talking to the judges was heartwarming - I think Padma has softened!

2 Likes

I do love the show . . . . but, maybe because of the current life situation and all - I was super irritated by Padma, Gayle, and Tom in the first episode. They just seem extra full of themselves. In full disclosure, towards the end of the last few seasons the judges had slowly been feeling less and less enjoyable to me. So I think the combination of everything is pushing it over the edge for me.

Id’ rather watch the Great British Baking Show. But I’m sure I’ll keep watching for now.

I also feel bad for them as contestants right. The show often gives the chefs and their restaurants an economic boost, which is why I’m sure a lot of them choose to go back on the show. But given that most major cities are “take-out-only” and any events they could be paid to participate in are cancelled, I don’t know if they will see any boost from their efforts on the show. And that sucks.

5 Likes
1 Like

I thought the same . . . bummer of a time to be on TC. As Tiffany Faison once said, TC puts butts in the seats (paraphrasing there).

3 Likes

Really good article, @shrinkrap.

And pretty amazing that the PA on TC1 has become a TC executive producer 17 seasons later!

2 Likes

I couldn’t help wondering how each of the places they visited in episode 2 are doing right now, and what will happen to them. This review includes a list.

Jitlada
Rossoblu
Lasa
République
Chengdu Taste
Mariscos Jalisco
Mayura
Meals by Genet
Manuela
Shunji
Guerilla Tacos

1 Like
2 Likes

More recaps!

1 Like

As one of the commenters says, “I particularly got a kick out of the complete evisceration of Los Angeles.” Examplis gratis:

“experiencing beautiful art through the lens of a vanity project museum designed as a tax shelter by a ruthless oil magnate does feel very true to the spirit of Los Angeles. If only it had also included having to steal resources from other parts of the state.”

Bravo. That’s just what I thought when Project Runway did a challenge centered around the Getty.

3 Likes

I noticed the lack of Jenn. I don’t even remember her quickfire dish. They don’t show her or mention her much.

2 Likes

Oooh! Intriguing back story! I lived there for a bit and was surprised to hear that LA had so many museums.

I happen to be watching season six with Jenn, who in the episode I am watching this morning, is pretty sick, but cooking, because “that’s what you do”. Hmmmm. Will we still be saying that in a few months, or even a few weeks? I know some of us are still saying that about working now.

BTW, this is the first I’m hearing of Always Be My Maybe, Ali Wong, and Randall Park. Is this a food movie? How come no one told me?

It’s a Netflix original movie, so it’s only available for streaming Not a food movie per se, but Ali Wong plays a chef, and there are a few cute and funny food/restaurant related scenes in the movie. It’s a rom-com, and is pretty funny.

2 Likes

This is fun!

Top Chef Stats

3 Likes

That was great. Thanks!!!

1 Like

That led me down a really deep internet dark hole. Thank you!!!

1 Like

GREAT compilation of TC stats!

1 Like

Fascinating - I wonder who put this together. I’m obsessed with the little pictures of the chef heads and that they look so realistic as paper cutouts. :rofl:

The only thing disconcerting is that there are some faces where I am completely bewildered that I should recognize them. They don’t ring any bells…

2 Likes

I have the same problem

2 Likes