Top Chef Season 14

Plus a million. I do understand how much work it was for you but you were my favorite TC recapper.

2 Likes

we were shocked at this too, but figured it must be a combination of the stress and being hyper focused, and also of how out of context it must have seemed for them. they would just never have expected it to be someone so close to them. i mean, Brooke didn’t recognize her own sister! the brain can do funny things no matter what the ears are hearing.

my sister and i watched LCK last week and it seemed like it just got cut off, until we realized that was intentional and they were not revealing who was going home of the two gals. When we started watching TC this week, however, we still thought we were missing something, as the reveal of Brooke making it to Mexico wasn’t preceded by any footage at all of Casey being told she lost. No good-bye to Casey, no good-bye speech from her? Seems very odd.

Anyway, i’m sad Casey went home, i think she deserved it, but I’m also happy Brooke is back. I’m rooting for Brooke or Sheldon.

I think John has come a long way, but he’s still hard to like a lot of the time.

1 Like

I am over Brooke for some reason. I’m not sure why. When Kristen came back after LCK, she battled through more than one person to make it back. She so deserved that win. Brooke won one more challenge - and, yes, that’st the game, but I wish it had been Casey.

2 Likes

I am rewatching Season 1, and just realized the Katie Lee who was the host before Parma is the same Katie Lee from The Kitchen!

And several contestants had NO professional experience!

1 Like

Yes, and Padma is an upgrade. I found Katie Lee quite boring. And I did notice that - the first couple of seasons many of the chefs did not have a lot of experience. But the shows were fun to watch!

1 Like

Just an FYI - the finale is NOT on Thursday, Feb. 23rd - it’s Thursday, March 2nd. Saw something on Top Chef’s Facebook page yesterday that prompted me to go look at TV listings. The FB page said:

Your wildest flavor fantasies are coming true. Vote now for the Lay’s #DoUsAFlavor combo you’d like to see cheftestants cook with in the first-ever LIVE Top Chef Quickfire challenge Thursday, March 2!

The TV listings are:

Trial By Fire - 9:00 p.m. February 23rd
The Yucatan Peninsula is the setting for a challenge to cook a dish showcasing the local habanero. Later, the chefs learn about traditional Maya cooking, then they create a dish using only ancient Maya ingredients and tools. Appearing: Jeremiah Tower; Roberto Munoz Zurita; Roberto Solis; and Guillermo Beristain.

Comida Final - 9:00 p.m. March 2nd
The top chef is revealed in the Season 14 finale. Before that, the final two chefs face off by preparing an epic four-course progressive meal that must impress their families, the judges and distinguished chefs. Appearing: Joachim Splichal; Jonathan Waxman; Martha Ortiz; Jonathon Sawyer; Daniel Boulud and Nilou Motamed.

3 Likes

Good to know. I don’t like the idea that these great chefs will be forced to use some crappy Lay’s chip flavor to make a dish. Yuk.

1 Like

Wait…what? Well…I guess somebody had to go.

AV recap

I just saw that Jonathon Sawyer is on the finale (as a judge, I presume). He’s a home town boy :slight_smile:

This is Shirley’s to win. I’m not a fan of dark cloud Brooke. She always looks like she’s about to tell people there mother died. I predict she is so bound up with tension and fear she screws something up.

2 Likes

I am a fan of all 3 of the finalist, so I think I would have been upset with whoever left.

That said - I’m not a fan of these “quirky” challenges this late in the season. At this point I want to see them shine not get caught up because of some strange challenge component.

6 Likes

Aw, man! I think the wrong chef went home.

Go Shirley!

1 Like

You said it. Although I don’t think I can remember a chef who got sent home with a greater compliment from Tom than this one.

2 Likes

I don’t think the wrong chef was sent home. Sheldon hammered his fish; Brooke’s was cooked perfectly. Granted, the rest of Sheldon’s dish was better than Brooke’s, but ruining the main protein was the kiss of death.

Both Brooke and Shirley thought to test the cooking surface while Sheldon waited to see what they were cooking so he could do something different. Sheldon, there was a reason Brooke and Shirley wrapped their fish before putting it on the grill. Essentially Sheldon’s attempt to play the game backfired. (And in the QF he confused a tamal for cheese? WTF?)

I’m pulling for Shirley. But as I said before, I would be ok with any of the final four. So either Brooke or Shirley would be fine with me.

1 Like

I am not a fan of Brooke’s either. I love Shirley and I wish Sheldon made it to the final instead of Brooke. Hope Shirley pulls it off!!!

1 Like

Yes, when Tom told him that he would be one of the great chefs it actually gave me chills. In a way, that was even better than winning Top Chef. A compliment like that from a chef of Tom’s caliber is huge.

3 Likes

Totally agree, to make them cook without implements over an open fire for the final three is kind of lame, IMO.

I also think being in Mexico and making them shop in a market is a little unfair at this stage, as Sheldon doesn’t speak nearly as much Spanish as the other two. It’s just the wrong time to make something unrelated to cooking part of the challenge (but I guess it was just a quickfire so not too big a deal).

Overall, I would have been sad if any of them went home, as I like them all. And I like Brooke and Sheldon most, so was bummed that it was down to the two of them. I get the comments about how Brooke is kind of gloomy, but I think there’s a bit of a Richard Blais-like cloud hanging over her head (after he lost Season 4); neither of the others got to the final two (and neither got beat by as good a chef as Kristin too). She re-entered Top Chef with only one result that would make her feel it was worth it, and that is insane pressure. At this point, I am rooting for her.

1 Like

Brooke is too much “woe is me” for my tastes. I like Shirley’s enthusiasm though it would probably drive me nuts IRL.

5 Likes

And …Done. Surprise! (Brooke)