Top Chef Season 14

I thought they both did well in the finale. I’m happy Brooke won and thought bringing in their families and sous chefs was a nice touch.

2 Likes

Oh and I wanted to mention that I thought Shirley handled the “pork belly” so well and graciously. Congrats to her for doing that in that type of high pressure situation where cooler heads rarely prevail.

I think Brooke took the first two courses, the main was a tie (pork vs. pork), and the dessert course went to Shirley (way obvi on that one - I definitely would want to try her dessert!) So I figured it was Brooke for the win.

BTW, I thought Brooke’s former cheftestant team was a strong one with Sam and Sheldon, and then her 10-year trusted sous chef joining them. Wasn’t sure about Shirley choosing Katsuji, except yes, he DOES know Spanish. :slight_smile:

As I’ve said elsewhere, I would have been happy with any of the Final 3 winning. A not-so-bad, pretty good TC season this time, barring a few WTH? moments with various challenges.

1 Like

Enjoyed this season, but wish Shirley had won. I thought Brooke was condescending to Shirley when S said “may the best chef win” and telling her to be quiet and her attitude about the pork belly bugged me. You want to win, then make sure you have what you need. Add to that that she keeps such a tight lid on everything. Not my favorite.

4 Likes

Like @LindaWhit I would have been fine with any of the finalists winning. And I did think Brooke made the better meal (except, of course, the flan, which she knew was a failure). And I loved the comment about the bar being named after her son and her son was not named after the bar.

It was nice to see a drama-free finale: two chefs who respected each other, sous chefs who worked together and lovely, supportive families.

I’ve never been a big fan of Sam, but did anyone else notice that for the octopus dish he made the garlic puree, the garlic chips and was shown cooking the octopus. I know Brooke conceptualized the dish, but it seems Sam may have won the title for Brooke. And Shirley had the assist with the classy pork belly donation.

2 Likes

Well, that was a spoiler.

I agree, JB. Brooke has been vaguely condescending all season and very much “well, clearly I didn’t deserve to lose”. Obviously this is scripted/edited within an inch of its life. I still feel she won due to Shirley’s generosity.

1 Like

Oops. Sorry.

Didn’t Katsuji get picked on his first season because he knew Mexican cooking?

Ok I looked it up: yes. Doug picked Katsuji to help because their cookoff was in Mexico as well. (Doug was sent home, leaving Greg and Mei, for anyone else that forgot.)

Katsuji was Doug’s best buddy that season, so it made sense to choose him

I remembered them more as frenemies. Like Katsuji and Tesar but with more fren.

They were a fun team though.

Finally got to watch. Glad that Brooke won. I liked Shirley, but was rooting for Brooke. I like that they were both very gracious, and I like that the judges were clearly impressed with both of them.

And man, did they go for the heartstrings with this episode.

2 Likes

And here comes season 15 - marijuana quickfire?

3 Likes

I’m just glad they’re going to new places.

And I’m surprised that Aspen’s not in the mix, since the Food & Wine Classic Festival that the winner usually goes to is held there in June. Unless TC filming is done later in the summer.

Does anyone know how one might get to be an attendee at one of the TC events? I live in Boulder so I’m very local to whatever they have planned.

It’s a crapshoot trying to get in one of the dinners served to the public.

For Boston, they put a notice out, and many people registered to be an attendee at the one public thingie they did - but I think they only let in about 100. They keep it hush-hush as to where the location is going to be until just before the event. I’d have to go back to my recaps on CH to see where it was…maybe Restaurant Wars?

1 Like

That’s a marijuana brownie quick fire.

Our group of seven at a Houston Oiler football game pitched in and just before halftime it was, “Bill, Bill, what did you and Ann do with that stuff.”

A few minutes later it was, “oh my!!!”