Top Chef Season 14

My “new & improved” FiOS On Demand no longer carries LCK and it doesn’t work on-line with Chrome, so I haven’t seen LCK for the last three weeks :cry:

I was bummed that they used a Quickfire elimination this late in the season. And even though I’m not a fan of Casey, I was sorry to see her go that way.

I’m OK with any of the remaining four winning (again, not knowing who is still alive in LCK). I know a lot of folks don’t like Tesar, but I think he’s really trying to play it straight and be helpful in the kitchen this season.

And I have to say I hated this week’s elimination challenge. Be creative and make something breakfasty/brunchy/lunchy that’s never been done before. Shop for the ingredients now (so have some idea of what you’re going to do) and take 2 hours tomorrow. As Tesar said: it’s like being told to be eloquent, be good looking, be smart. Hard to be creative on demand.

You know, at the beginning of TC 14 I was kind of over Casey - the whole Carla thing, but she grew on me and she has grown as a chef. I agree, to be eliminated in a quickfire just stinks!

2 Likes

Well, I knew what the top two dishes were going to be in the EC for the Final 4, and I knew who was going home. I kind of haz a sadz at the latter.

I haven’t yet watched LCK yet (tonight). But based on the previews for the finale, it seems like only ONE LCKer makes it back to the TC kitchen in Guadalajara, Mexico.

I was sad to see her go - and I really liked Shirley in this episode (I’m usually very neutral on her personally - not the same “her” of course).

I have to say I’m SHOCKED how many people don’t recognize the voices of their loved ones. That blows my mind.

3 Likes

And I just watched the two LCKs. Both episodes were very well done by all in the competition(s). I was very sad at the results of the first one, as I thought all three deserved a chance in the finale.

The second LCK is a toss-up, although I’m leaning towards one chef based solely on the presentation of their final dish. We’ll see who Chef Colicchio picked to get back into the competition.

I know! How do you not recognize your spouse’s voice? Shirley was so cute this episode… so emotional. She is quite talented. I was not sad to see Brooke go - not sure why, but I was glad to see John move on. He’s come a long way.

1 Like

That shocked me too - but then in Shirley’s husband’s interview he said that she works twelve hour days and that they have developed a routine of him always driving her to work and picking her up “SO THEY CAN BE SURE OF SPENDING THAT MUCH TIME TOGETHER.” This broke my heart a little because I totally get that- I work days and Mr Rat works six evenings a week and we also have to really work at making sure we make time to spend together. This is a restaurant worker’s life - long hours, working every weekend and every goddamned holiday, etc. Glamorous!

But having said that of course I was completely charmed that Sheldon knew his boo right away. Loved him throwing the mushrooms over the partition at her.

5 Likes

I understand life’s constraints. But I got a call from a college friend who I hadn’t talked to in a decade and I heard her “hello” and immediately knew who it was(no caller id).

Maybe some people aren’t so aurally focused but it still shocks me.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sad to see Brooke go. She keeps such a tight rein on her emotions and has been cooking very carefully. She seems uninspired and cooks what she thinks she can do in the allotted time and will get her to the next stage, not what she thinks is a kick ass dish and while it’s important to keep an eye on advancing, in this environment, where everybody is a kick ass cook, you have to have more than some assembled ingredients. You need some passion.

Has everyone watched LCK? I don’t want to give out spoilers and it’s worth talking about.

1 Like

I’m caught up. :wink:

So who do you think goes to Mexico?

I think Casey is the one who comes back from LCK vs. Brooke. I thought her dish looked better than Brooke’s. But who knows which Tom C. has picked as tasting better. He did seem to rave over the flavors of Brooke’s garnish.

1 Like

Those were my thoughts too. But I swear I saw Brooke’s pony tail in the edits of the final - though of course they could do the whole “pick a sous chef” routine.

1 Like

Ugh, I just rewatched Carla’s season. My heart went out to her at the finale. Still can’t believe she listened to Casey - it was so opposite the way she cooks.

1 Like

A lot of people still dislike Casey just because of her poor job partnering with Carla.

1 Like

Yes, and I was one of them. Then I found myself liking her this season. And in the end, Carla made the decision to go with what Casey suggested, I don’t get why. She realized her mistake too late. Honestly, IMO she could have won it. Never thought Hosea was that great and Stefan certainly wasn’t.

2 Likes

I’m with winecountrygal on casey

I also think Its Casey that goes to Mexico. I think it’s in the reaction of the other contestants (esp. Sheldon) to whomever appears before them as LCK winner. He seemed surprised …

That said … GO SHIRLEY!! But I am also rooting a bit for Sheldon …

2 Likes

I’d be happy with any of the final 5 really. I am surprised (somewhat) that not one “new” contestant made it to the final 5. Just goes to show how much “learning the game” comes into play in this type of contest.

3 Likes

Yes, me too!

Me three. Although I also like Sheldon. And based on the “Contestant Progress”, Sheldon’s racked up a lot of "HIGH’ groups (7), and several QF wins (3), with one EC win. Shirley has two EC wins, John and Casey both have one, and Brooke has two EC wins.

I think with this group? I’d like either Shirley or Sheldon to win. I don’t want John to win. He’s still been a jerk, IMO, no matter how many times he says in the confessional that he’s not the same person he was in his first season. He’s done several things this season (including disputing what was on video when Emily called him out on his bullshit) that still makes me dislike him.

2 Likes

I’m with you, El. Shirley or Sheldon.

1 Like