Top Chef is Coming Back

Not only the worst season ever in terms of challenges, but if I recall there were some pretty obnoxious personalities as well

4 Likes

I think it was after that season that I had to take a break from Top Chef.

1 Like

Texas was an awful season

1 Like

Funnily enough, Texas was the last season I watched for a number of years because I canceled cable and didnā€™t have access to Bravo. Later on, I went back and watched the intervening seasons on Hulu, and was relieved to see the show bounce back from the Texas dreck.

2 Likes

It has sort of a roller coaster rise these last few seasons.

1 Like

Was it on last night? If it was it didnā€™t record :slightly_frowning_face:

Yes, it was. Should be rerun sometime before next weekā€™s episode.

It was. I was very happy with the winner.

Recaps/spoilers!

I wish I could have tasted that curry!

2 Likes

Me too! Iā€™m gonna guess weā€™ll never find it in Jersey.

1 Like

Homey!

Her business:

1 Like

That earlier episode where they showed a picture of some of her baked goods - I was impressed! They looked so good. Kind of wish they had more chances to incorporate a baking component into the dishes and not only when they need to make a dessert (would totally go for a cornish pie or any meat pie quick fire or even themed dinner episode).

1 Like

I like the showā€¦ and while this may be social suicide hereā€¦ I look at some of these dishes (even some of the winners) and come away with WTF? Clearly this phenomena is not limited to Top Chef as I have experienced it elsewhere (including some restaurants), so I canā€™t help feeling like I am simply out of touch with todayā€™s fine dining experience.

Do many of you cook like this?

Something that would amaze me at a fine dining establishment would be a one inch thick, FRESH swordfish steak, beautifully marinaded in citrus, aromatics, asian flavors and oil, perfectly grilledā€¦ with a rich, spicy, tangy tartar sauceā€¦ served with a baked potato with butter, sour cream, and chivesā€¦ and perfectly brined, grilled asparagus.

But I have the feeling that if any ā€œtop chefā€ contestant put something like this up they would be slammed for lousy presentation, zero creativity, and would be sent homeā€¦ with the judges preferring to see small chards of protein, sitting in a puddle of puree with a few dots of sauce, with a half dozen or more unrelated ingredients piled on top.

Feeling much like the Dad that couldnā€™t relate to the music you love,

-SiP

Umā€¦no! But Iā€™m not in the reality TV business. I wouldnā€™t be on a show based on who I was the wife of, and I wouldnā€™t marry someone in 90 days either. Thatā€™s a bad example. Iā€™ve never watched that, and donā€™t understand whatā€™s going on. In fact, Iā€™ve rarely watched any other show on Bravo.

ā€œone inch thick, FRESH swordfish steak, beautifully marinaded in citrus, aromatics, asian flavors and oil, perfectly grilledā€¦ with a rich, spicy, tangy tartar sauceā€¦ served with a baked potato with butter, sour cream, and chivesā€¦ and perfectly brined, grilled asparagus.ā€

Iā€™d definitely eat that. I donā€™t know if Iā€™d order it, because Iā€™m sometimes disappointed with swordfish, but that sounds amazing.

Cooking swordfish right should earn points.

But trying to predict what the judges want is often fodder for the producers shenanigans.

Here are some recaps

Same picture!

P.S. I hope there is never a suggestion of ā€œsocial suicideā€ on Hungry Onion.

1 Like

I know I donā€™t and that is exactly why I watch Top Chef.

I am amazed by the creativity of the chefs. They use combination that I would never think to use but maybe will some day after seeing them. I may or may not be amazed by the swordfish you described but I probably wouldnā€™t order it at a fine dining establishment. It is just too close to something I can - and do - make at home. Except for the baked potato because I am not a huge fan. When I go out I want something Iā€™m not likely to make at home. This means I tend to go to smaller restaurants run my chefs of cultures other than my own, or places that skew ā€œavant gardeā€ for lack of a better term.

I do think that a TC chef could present such a dish and win in the right circumstances.

1 Like

Ok, I realize that I havenā€™t even watched the latest top chef. That tells me that Iā€™m not enjoying it the way I used to. There are no personalities. Even last year had some people you cared about

3 Likes

That could be it. Butā€¦this week is restaurant wars!

Here are some recaps.