Tomato skins... who knew?

You mean you don’t store your used hotdog water for your next batch of hotdogs?

If not for the whole pot, certainly as a “starter” water, no?

4 Likes

It’s my house braising liquid, naturally! Passed down by my grandpa.

1 Like

I bathe in it.

2 Likes

It makes a great neti pot potion.

1 Like

That’s a whole new level of disgusting. :saluting_face:

4 Likes

Anyone tried this? (I’m in-process now, drying the skins

:person_raising_hand:t5: Me!

I made some this summer.

I’ve also used a “recipe” called “tomato salt”.

5 Likes
2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

When I make brats, I first cook them in a lidded pan with some water, 7 minutes per side, then the grilling portion is just to brown them.

I do often keep that “brat water” (which also has a bit of the fats from the brats). It usually amounts to about 3-4 ounces of a fatty water mixture, so I dump it into a “snack” sized ZipLoc bag.

I’ve used it in ham & bean soups and the like.

2 Likes

You don’t keep yours going for Amish Friendship Hot Dogs?

1 Like

I was joking but evidently not too far off :laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

Turned out pretty well. I baked the skins at about 150°F to dry, then hand-crumbled so I could get them in the spice grinder.

I figured I had about double the skins vs. the recipe so I used a scant half teaspoon each of salt/sugar (as ~ 1/4 tsp each, in each of 2 grinds).

Got 25 grams of this nice pink powder, about half of which is sugar and salt.

I did a test with a bit of it stirred into water at about a 1:10 ratio and it tasted pretty good. Essentially it’s a tomato bouillon. I sifted 1/2 teaspoon into my egg omelet this morning and could taste a bit of the tomato flavor - another 1/4 tsp would have been better (4 egg omelet).

Edit - I had missed @shrinkrap’s earlier post on this topic.

5 Likes

Would you do it again? Was it worth the effort?

3 Likes

Doing the skins this way was really very little effort, so I would do it again if I happen to have skins that are usable on hand (but the “sauce from fresh maters” thing, I won’t never ever never do again).

The problem for me and “happen to have skins” question, is that I most often have skins because I’m roasting tomatoes with onions and garlic for soup. My standard prep is to drizzle with olive oil and roast with salt and pepper, then skin after roasting which is very easy to do.

I think the olive oil would gunk up the grinding process, and I’m not sure I’m enamored enough of my pink mater bouillon that I’m going to switch to blanch & peel prior to roasting.

3 Likes

Mmmmmmmbut pink matter bouillon sounds so appetizing!

2 Likes

See, that’s the thing for me: I have never had leftover tomato skins, so I would have to do something with the pulp and jelly to get the skins, and that process seems daunting to me. I do have a food mill, but have never used it on tomatoes. I wonder if putting them through the mill would leave me with usable skins…?

I’ve never had a food mill but have seen them on cooking shows etc. I think it might just piece up the skins and pass them through, but I don’t know for sure.

Grab it and 1 tomato for a test? You can always have a Bloody Mary if it doesn’t work out. Or even if it does…

It’s always 5 O’clock somewhere.

1 Like

Skins stay behind in the mill I have, something like this;

… but I’m usually peeling a few pounds of fairly symmetrical paste tomatoes at a time by hand. I’ve been using the powder sort of like I use paste; a little more tomato in something that already has tomato flavor, like chili.

I usually use the peeled paste tomatoes for my very favorite spicy tomato sambal.

2 Likes

Oh, good; thank you for the info. Hey @ricepad.

Edit - time to go fishing. The solunar tables claim fish bite activity will be high in about an hour. Y’all wish me luck, please.

2 Likes

Not one bite in 2 hours. So much for fishing tables. Astrology, I guess.

2 Likes