Roasted tomatoes! How to make, store, and use.

I always freeze mine but Nigel says " could have been stored for a week or more in the fridge in a glass jar. "

2 Likes

Anything new under the sun?

This season’s first roasted tomato sauce .

3 Likes

I roasted some tomatoes with feta, oregano, garlic and olive oil last week. I keep them in the fridge as an easy side. (With or without the feta)

Stirred the remainder into my tuna casserole tonight :rofl:

2 Likes

All I can add to my post from last year about the Slater-ish roasted tomatoes is (with thanks to @beefeaterrocks) I froze about dozen one-cup portions of the roasted toms in oil, and we ate up every last bit of it over the winter. Almost exclusively as sauce over pasta - such a quick, easy and tasty dinner!

Anything I put up which gets consumed 100% in one year is obligated to be repeated the next.

3 Likes

i just hit the link to the Slater recipe and guffawed to myself reading the absolutely purple prose that accompanies the recipe:

“Shorn of their skins and seeds, the fruits – green, orange and some halved cherry varieties – softened to the point of melting, bloated with the flavours of oil and herbs…”

I love it.

I’m totally trying this with my upcoming cherry tomato crop!

1 Like

Sounds good! Reminds me of this one!

I made it a few times, but seeding cherry tomatoes is not my idea of a good time.

ETA I don’t see the part about seeding the tomatoes! :thinking:

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Actually skinning roasted cherry tomatoes is easier than skinning larger ones with this method. Halve and place skin side up on a jelly roll pan. Blacken under a broiler. Pull the pan out and top with a pan of the same size. Remove the top after a few minutes and the skins pluck off whole.

1 Like

Death of a thousand paper cuts, though.

1 Like

How so? Put the tomatoes on a plate and put an upside down plate over it. Cut between the plates.

Plucking skins off roasted cherry tomatoes? Unless (or even) if you’re roasting just enough for yourself, it’s annoying as heck. I grew a LOT of cherry tomatoes a couple of years ago.

1 Like

They were soooooooo good! Making them again, and not sharing.

At one hour

3 Likes

Well, that is interesting. I was wondering when you made them whether you felt it was worth the effort. I guess you do.

I’m sitting here staring at about 7 lbs. of grape tomatoes, mulling over what do with them (I’m maxed out on sauce and roasted, so those are not an option).

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I did skin them; I used this recipe. (I didn’t “core” them.)

They are intense, and each one goes a long way toward adding all I need to say, a bland-ish piece of salmon, or a scoop of egg salad.

3 Likes

I just put a smallish tray of 1/4 black cherry and 3/4 mystery heirloom red cherry into the oven at 225 (Smitten recipe.) First time doing this.

1 Like

Roasted plum tomatoes

And “tomato raisins” again. The tomatoes are a little larger than cherries.

:open_mouth: apparently this isn’t my first rodeo! I thought I’d tried something like this before.

I’m also taking a stab at drying tomato skins for powder. Anyone tried that?

2 Likes
1 Like

Roasting some of the FM bounty for dinner tonight… season’s nearing its end :frowning_face:

3 Likes