Tomato Season - the Master Thread

good old standbye…

3 Likes

Back about 2 months ago I replanted my tomatoes for a fall harvest. I noticed today while looking for suckers that I have at least 8 new fruits happening. I have a Pink Berklee and a Randy’s Brandy (a local hybrid). I have spent some time watching Youtube videos about pruning tomatoes. It was very helpful. Looking forward to a fresh BLT in late October.

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tomato Season - the Master Thread

Which tomato dishes or preparations have you been making?

So far, I have made

Stuffed tomatoes (yemista, stuffed with ground beef, dill and rice)

Roasted tomatoes

Greek village salad

Tomato fritters / tomatokeftedes

Tomato frittata

Southern tomato pie

Tomatoes with balsamic and olive oil

Tomato gratin

Tomato, lettuce and mayo sandwich

This looks interesting.

3 Likes

That soup sounds very interesting! Not feeling hot soup right now, but maybe!
I have a Hyderbadi tomato chutney recipe that I love! Haven’t made it yet this summer.

This was helpful for that recipe

So far

Gazpacho
BLT
Tomato sandwiches
Roasted

1 Like

Might find some ideas here as well.

2 Likes

Yep- that thread inspired me.

I didn’t add to it after some posters mentioned old threads being bumped bothers them. LOL.

1 Like

There are several recent replies to the old one, so I’m not sure a new thread makes sense necessarily.

I actually just locked the old one to keep things fresh for this season. Post away! Speaking of which, my Sweet Aperitif cherry tomatoes took a while to get going this year but are now producing more tomatoes than I could ever hope to eat. Very nice flavor, too - not too sweet but intensely tomatoey.

5 Likes

I’ve only gotten back a week ago from Berlin, where there were surprisingly good tomatoes to be had in … the supermarket.

Of course, they’re nothing compared to the cornucopia of breeds I can get at the local FM. So far, I’ve made:

choriatiki
burrata caprese
tomato/ avocado / celery salad with balsamic & soy dressing
BLTs
tomato sammiches: toasted bagel or Aldi’s pane turano with cream cheese and fresh basil (I much prefer cream cheese over mayo on my mater sammiches)

Coming up soon will be gazpacho - likely the NYT recipe, and fresh tomato pasta.

Looking forward to being inspired here.

4 Likes

I just had my first garden tomato this morning, in a toasted tomato sandwich with butter, salt and pepper. I will repeat this until there are no more tomatoes but hope to find new ideas here too. It’s a joke in my family that my mother and her siblings only use butter, salt and pepper to cook all their favourite foods, but it really is the best combination on a tomato sandwich, though I use mayonnaise if it’s a BLT.

2 Likes

The tomato and mayo sandwich- just toasted white or brown bread, tomato and mayo- is a really big deal in Ontario, where I live, especially with those who are descendants of ths Anglo Saxon stock that settled many parts of Ontario. (Quick online glance is showing the tomato mayo sandwich is also a big deal in New England, the South, on Food52, everywhere- I grew up in a Greek- German vacuum. LOL)

I didn’t know it was a thing until I was close to 20, when our neighbour was raving about her tomato and mayo sandwich.

I grew up ordering bacon and tomato sandwiches (no lettuce, listed separately from the BLT) at a small town luncheonette.

This avocado tomato egg mayo triple decker is cute!

2 Likes

I saw you locked it, but I do enjoy continuing threads on the same topic when it’s an ingredient or dish or similar.

Lot of good ideas to scroll through, be reminded of, and even respond to much later!

2 Likes

I had an early spurt of tomato excitement but haven’t actually gotten into it because too much eating out.

On the list for soon:
Pan con tomate x many times
Fresh tomato “sauce” with capellini
Mom’s tomato salad
Japanese tomato avocado salad

I do love roasted tomatoes when there’s an excess, but that works with less-than tomatoes all year too, as also other cooked applications like tomato tarte tatin. But somehow I always think of the tarte in tomato season!

2 Likes

Yes, the problem is that when a date/year is in the title, it discourages some posters from posting there while leading others to respond to outdated posts/inactive posters, resulting in general confusion. Luckily the thread is still searchable. Perhaps it makes sense to retitle this thread without the date and make it something of a “master” tomato season thread - @Phoenikia, do you have any objections?

2 Likes

Fine with me, no objections.

1 Like

Done! I also moved the posts from the now-locked 2017 thread over, but they are not appearing chronologically. Let me know if this causes confusion and I will move them back.

2 Likes

This is fine.

1 Like

Could we have gone the other way to preserve chronology, as there were more posts there?

Anyway I’m fine with this becoming the master thread with a link to the other one, or making that the master and adding the new responses to the bottom there (assuming the title could just be edited to remove the year).

Didn’t mean to create a Thing, sorry!

1 Like