Toasted sesame seed oil, new uses

Toasted sesame seed oil belongs in every pantry cabinet (unless allergic) for its rich flavor enhancing style. While the fragrant oil is a given in marinades, stir frys and dips I’m wondering where else it can do some delicious work.

I tried it on potatoe wedges and never looked back.
Drizzled on roasted root vegetables, worked well.
Drizzled in chicken soup was outstanding.

What unique ways to use this toasty flavor booster?

Rooster

I have used toasted sesame oil in hummus, replacing tahini.

Interesting. I’m so hooked on tahini, I probably wouldn’t have even thought of that. Worth a try. Thanks.

I am not sure if you are referring to regular sesame oil as I had never referred it as sesame seed oil.
Anyway, if you are thinking of the same thing, I always drizzle them on my stir fry vegetables and meat and use it as marinade on my sate babe pork ( filipino adaptation of Indonesian pork on a stick ) or as part of marinade for chicken breast.
One thing my mother always use this for when she makes chinese soup , she would at the last moment before serving, add a little peanut oil to the wok (to keep from sticking) , finely chopped shallot and when the shallot starts to brown, add soy sauce and then sesame oil ) and then, pour this to the top of each individual bowl of soup so that when it is presented, one can smell the wonderful aroma emitting from the soup. Be sure if you want to do this to have everything on hand as it has to be done swiftly before the shallot burns or mixture dries up. As soon as you can smell the wonderful aroma, that is it, Have all your soup ready to pour this mixture on top and you will not regret it. It brings it to another dimension…
Another favorite is during Chinese New Year, is glutinous rice balls that are either. plain or stuffed with red beans, peanut or sesame seeds , and for each bowl of white glutinous rice balls, we would have one the is colored red. ( My mom used to say that if I do not eat a red ball, I will not get older by one year) Well, aside from the soup to herald new year, she uses those balls which she cook briefly in water till they float ( can make it y ourself or buy from Asian store in the frozen section) and then, once she takes them out , she would use the same technique of cooking in the wok peanut oil ( withstand high heat), once the oil is hot, and shallot for a second or two, then add premix sesame oil, soy sauce and a pinch of sugar , then add in the precooked glutinous rice. I suggest if. you want to try this, you should have all the ingredients ready , premix the soy sauce and sesame oil and sugar so it goes in fast until you are adept to it as it takes only 1-2 minutes or your sauce will dry up. I have never seen this in any recipe but they are indeed delicious.
A family tradition. When I was young and living at home, that task was delegated to me.

Let me know if this helps and if you attempt to cook this, your result.

3 Likes

Is using the word oil incorrect in this case? I have untoasted sesame oil but I am referring to the toasted type.

The soup topping sounds delicious. I have never a
tried making these rice balls. They sound delicious.

I love sesame seed oil! Some flank or skirt steak soaked in sesame seed oil with soy sauce and/or gochujang makes for some tasty meat. Of course I always try to cook it with some wood/charcoal. This had a burner box of hickory.

2 Likes

I use sesame oil very sparingly, because too much is (in my opinion) really too much. That said, I like oshitashi a lot, and black fungus salad, and cold noodles with sesame sauce, cucumber & scallion. These are not new uses, though. They’re pretty ancient.

4 Likes

I have always seen them in bottles as sesame oil.
I buy the big bottle and then refill them

I can forward you my sate babe recipe if you like.
It is pork ( usually I use pork loin and I like to have a strip of fat in there as my husband and I loves the fat when it is slightly burnt but he is up there somewhere and when I do cook it, I have to be very careful to take out all the ft as my son is very picky , no fat of any kind. If you like to experiment, it is an Indonesian recipe adopted by the Filipinos and when one is I the Philippines, these are being sold by sidewalk vendors. I use Pineapple juice , hoisin sauce and lots of sesame oil and garlic. It has always been a winning recipe. But I marinade it for long period of time, preferably 48 hours and I cut the pork in such a way that they are strips, skewer them in such a way that maximum surface is exposed to the low fire and also I continue to brush them with marinade as I cook. I soak the bamboo skewer ( if you are using bamboo skewers ) so they will not burn, and for special occasion, I wrap the ends with foil to b a little festive. It is a winner ( even the chef from Malcanang Palace asked me for my recipe )

1 Like

Here is my recipe
Let me know how. you like it if you try it

• Pork Loin- 2 or 3 pounds- cut in thin flat strips (cut against the grain) which can be threaded onto bamboo skewers with as much surface exposure as possible in order to cut down on cooking time and for best marinading
  • Lots and Lots of garlic (at least 2 full heads, maybe 3)
  • 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 6 tablespoon of Hoisin sauce
  • 1 cup sesame oil
  • lastly, 3-4 cups of pineapple juice (enough to submerge all meat in your pan in the marinade
  • hot chili pepper
  • rum optional

Preparation:

• Cut the pork in thin strips less than a quarter inch thick, approx 1-1.5 inches wide, 2 to 4 inches long. Be sure to cut perpendicular the grain of the meat, this makes it far more tender.
  • Soak your bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes (so that the skewers are moist and will not burn on the grill)
  • Thread pork strips onto bamboo skewers.
  • Add ingredients above together with pork in a pan
  • Marinade for a minimum of 24- 48 hours. Be sure that the marinade covers the pork entirely and turn the pork every 12 hours to ensure even absorbtion
  • Tip: vacuum pack the pork and marinade if you have a vacuum set (this drives the marinade into the pork) or place the pork and marinade in a plastic bag that you can easily turn over
  • bbq over medium coals or flame
  • Frequently brush with remaining marinade while cooking, to keep meat from drying out

AFTER 24 H OURS, I TRY AND COOK JUST A PIECE ON MY PLANCHA AND CORRECT SEASONING. SOMETIMES, I HAVE TO ADD MORE HOISIN SAUCE. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE BRAND USING.

2 Likes

Thank you!! I like all the ingredients listed. I will def try this. Great tips!

I have never had back fungus salad.

Looks fantastic.

Thank you. That sounds great! Do you have a preference on hoisin brand?

On the topic, does anyone have a preferred brand of sesame oil?

Some shrimp fried rice I made the other night. 8 eggs :smile:

First pic is the start. Second is finished product.

20181219_194738

4 Likes

Either Chosen Foods from Costco, its a light toast or Kadoya brand from Asian market, darker toasted oil.

Hoisin I like Koon Chun brand from market.

I love toasted sesame oil. It is great in dressings, like Melissa Clark’s spicy cucumbers: slice a couple of cucumbers into rounds. Then add 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, 2 teaspoons garlic-chile sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Dress the cucumbers and enjoy. I usually double this and rarely measure anymore.

Sesame oil is also great in a kimchi-based dressing with chopped kimchi and juice, ponzu sauce, toasted sesame seeds, chili-garlic sauce, and a little neutral oil (recipe after April Bloomfield). Try it on green salad, cole slaw, radishes, etc.

I always add a dribble to dumpling dipping sauce and Chinese chicken broth. The important thing is not to cook it, which diminishes its aroma.

2 Likes

Not really
When Bill was around, I have to. buy cases when I find them as they are gluten free
Now, I just use any one on sale. I have in my fridge Lee Kum Kee whit I do not really like as much. It is not gluten free either.
. It is not gluten free but probably bought it when I needed something and did not have chance to go to Asian store.
I looked in my. cupboard, currently I have this brand MASTER SAUCE COMPANY WHICH I BOUGHT BEC IT IS GLUTEN FREE. INGREDIENTS : sweet potato, sugar, soybean, garlic , water, salt, sesame and chili

Since I use a lot, I buy the 56 ounce of Kadoya brand
It is a pain to pour out , but I manage pouring it into bottles with a spout to use daily