Toasted sesame seed oil, new uses

a hint, Try adding small amount of dried fish
I like that and some chinese sausage ( they even have it at Costco ), chicken or shrimp .
It is expensive but a little goes a long way , can usually find it at the refrigerated ( no door section) where there are sausage and dried Louisiana fish etc.
Trust me, It is DELICIOUS---------

1 Like

Here’s a recipe, if you’re interested. It’s useful because you can keep most of the ingredients on hand pretty much forever, with the exception of the cilantro and the hot pepper. And those are optional, anyway.

¾ c dried wood ears
½ clove garlic, grated
thinly sliced hot pepper
1 tsp dark vinegar
½ tsp light soy sauce
¼ tsp sugar
¼ tsp sesame oil
dash hot oil
cilantro leaves

Cook the wood ears in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Mix together other ingredients (except for cilantro) until the sugar dissolves. Add wood ears and marinate for 30 minutes. Top with cilantro.

1 Like

Are the mushrooms easy to find?

For a deep brown, intensely flavored glaze on roast chicken or baked parts, baste with a mixture of equal parts honey, soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil.

2 Likes

Any store that sells Chinese stuff would have probably several options. I have no idea what I’m doing, so I get an expensive (relatively speaking) kind. So far, so good.

Yeah I like mushrooms but I dont fully understand all the types.

Preference on Japanese brands, nowadays I keep on buying Kadoya, recently they changed their bottle to plastic :confused: . I used to buy Kuki which good too, but bottle was smaller.

1 Like

Thanks for your sate recipe, street food are the best, I will keep this in my safe and lock it up. :yum:

I like Kadoya, too. They also sell it in a large metal can.

I decide which by what brand has the least amount of stock on the shelf at H Mart :joy: I figure people who know more than me have chosen the more popular “right” one!

3 Likes

That’s what’s in my fridge too, i remember seeing they sold it in like five different sizes including very large size and there was a lot bottles missing from shelf which i took as a good sign

2 Likes

I have to find the name of the stuff I usually buy. I am out. It’s Japanese and 100%, not a blend like I see often around my place. Maybe I will tell you the story about how I almost burned my house down with some ribeyes. :frowning:

I use it in a mix with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and whatever ginger/garlic/scallions are on hand as a tasty marinade for tofu, or as a dumpling dipping sauce. I never measure but definitely a tiny bit goes a long way.
Most other uses already mentioned here. Be sure to keep refrigerated