Tips and Tricks

what size magnet bar did you buy?
where? thanks

@ccj, these nifty magnetic bars like in the photos.

I do the same.

I read this somewhere recently:

When using the food processor, if one is not using the feeder tube, place a sheet of plastic wrap over the top of the bowl before attaching the lid. You can then chop or make pastry dough without dirtying the top. Less wash up, which is always a good thing.

3 Likes

I heard that one too - can’t remember where though!

Such a great trick. :slight_smile:

Anything that saves me from washing something?

Just did this now when I needed to process shrimp in the small bowl insert. The lid was a little hard to twist on but otherwise a genius idea! Not only the lid stayed clean but so did the larger bowl of the FP

1 Like

Someone on Chowhound suggested using a ricer to sqeeze the water out of veggies and I’ve done it since. It’s more effective than squeezing by hand, and then you don’t have to deal with a soaking dish towel. I just used it yesterday to squeeze the exuded juice out of cucumbers to make tzatziki and it worked like a charm.

3 Likes

Two words: salad spinner. Does a great job on anything that isn’t too small such as shredded potatoes cabbage herbs you get the idea. Sorry about the lack of punctuation I’m using my phone and effectively. I, and recently someone suggested pasta drainer as well.

2 Likes

Great suggestion, especially for larger quantities.

Sounds like a great idea!

Spin, don’t just drain, cooked pasta shapes. Gets the water out of tubes, shells, etc.

1 Like

I find the ricer a super tool for squeezing liquid from thawed chopped spinach.

1 Like

If you think you have to evacuate and may lose power freeze a glass of water and place a quarter on top. When you come back if the quarter is on the bottom of frozen ice it means your freezer defrosted and the food is no good.

5 Likes

That is great! Hope we don’t need to use it!!!

Along the same lines - put ice cubes in a small Tupperware container in freezer. If they are still cubes you’re good. If it has melted and refrozen you’ll have a solid mass at the bottom instead.

A good trick if you’re just going out of town for a long period too, and afraid you may loose power.

5 Likes

I want the flash cards. I am excellent with flash cards. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://quizlet.com/11158146/ratio-and-formula-guide-flash-cards/

1 Like

Theres now a little cup in my freezer as it draws closer to the time to decide if we evacuate or hunker down. Thanks!

2 Likes

Be safe! Good luck.

1 Like

ooooooooooooh