Thrifting for kitchen tools

I not only am unashamed about thrift shopping, I brag about it.

Found a full set of Kirchenaid pasta roller attachments for $5 still in a pristine box.

I scrounge Wusthof knives from TJ Maxx and similar.

Most of my wardrobe is thrifted, too.

The less I spend, the more I have to travel.

11 Likes

A new chinois can be almost (not quite) as expensive as a Bamix these days. My chinois gets a lot of use, although the pestle gets less. Nice find!

Thanks MsBean; I’m not sure what I was thinking of and glad you corrected me. Apparently I can no longer edit the post itself.

2 Likes

My whole upscale junk business has always been based on
cool :sunglasses:
Give the people what they want.

3 Likes

The Hamilton Beach blender we have takes standard canning jars, and hence repurposed Classico sauce jars as well. I would hate to give it up!

1 Like

My pleasure. My daughter does very well there and so I thought it may offer your daughters some additional resources.

2 Likes

Wow. $3.5 for a Bamix. I paid over $100 for the same thing.

2 Zojirushi rice cookers in pristine condition with manuals. One fuzzy logic, one large. $5 each. Sitting next to a $10 cuisinart rice cooker that was tagged for $15. Both Zojirushis came home with me that day and they work perfectly. Also, $15 for a Magic Mill grain mill in pristine condition with manual. Sometimes you’re just really lucky.

2 Likes

Thrifting compels you to travel? Just kidding!

2 Likes

Oh my, that pasta roller set is quite the find! Last year I bought this set on offer up for a little under $100. I still haven’t used it, but look forward to making ravioli with it. I paid another $100 to get the ravioli attachment. Expensive ravioli :slightly_smiling_face:

Me too. I take pride in frugality. TJ’s often has nice foodie finds.

2 Likes

I was surprised how often I use the thing. Gets the most out of whatever you put in there. Found it at a second hand way the hell up in northern WI. Everything was junk to me, then I saw that. Made my day.

The more money I have to travel. :rofl: Everything compels me to travel.

Just got back from an amazing 2 weeks in Italy and am already planning the next trip!

5 Likes

Wow, I’m jealous. I’ve been living vicariously with Stanley Tucci.

5 Likes

That was a great show, but I got the feeling he only ingested a fraction of the delicious food he was served.

1 Like

I think that’s a good thing.

1 Like

Don’t sell Aldi short, either, especially for cheeses, charcuterie, and chocolates. Wine cN be a hidden treasure, too.

1 Like

My brother just bought a fully functional Vitamix blender for $8.00 at a GA thrift shop. He said it cleaned up like new.

5 Likes

IIRC, Tucci had a health problem that prevented him from eating much of the featured food.

1 Like

That might be the best thrift store kitchen treasure story I’ve heard. Impressive!