Thrifting for kitchen tools

I have a lot of hand me downs. I wish I had some of my aunt’s Corningware, because I don’t like the new Corningware made overseas. They don’t glaze the undersides anymore, it’s heavier, and metal utensils mark it. The pre-2000 stuff is 100 times better.

I’m still using pieces from a set I bought at a Corningware outlet in 1993.

@kaleokahu I had hoped to find a vintage muu muu in Hawaii in 2019, so I had been Googling thrift and vintage shops before my trip! https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k12365531-Recs_for_shops_selling_vintage_muu_muus-Maui_Hawaii.html

I also looked at vintage dirndls in Munich!

My friend drove 5 h to Detroit to look for vintage fur coats for men. Toronto mostly has a supply of vintage fur coats for women.

Vintage clothing in Hawai’i comes with some strangeness. First, true vintage (as opposed to worn-contemporary) is somewhat uncommon and expensive. Second, casual clothing there is usually worn until it’s faded and on its way out. Third, there lingers the belief that clothing takes on the owner’s mana, which can be diluted or misused if the garment is turned over.

Did you find your mu’umu’u?

1 Like

Nope. I didn’t end up visiting any vintage shops.

I tried on a couple dozen new mu’umu’us, as well as other Hawaiian dresses that were not mu’ umu’us.

I wanted something Hawaiian-made, and better quality, so that helped narrowed the the shops and designers.

The only clothing I ended up buying was a terry cloth sweat shirt in Hanalei, to prevent a sunburn. I use that sweatshit while gardening, a lot!

Maybe I will find the right dress on my next visit, hopefully to the Big Island.

Some Etsy shops, esp based in California make it a business https://www.etsy.com/shop/jjshoard/?etsrc=sdt

Well, if you go back to my Kaua’i, I encourage you to stop at Kapaia Stitchery near Lihu’e. They have a huge selection of tropical print fabrics, and can probably recommend an auntie to make your mu’umu’u. That way, it’s YOUR mana.

3 Likes

I will keep that in mind! Thank you!
I went to Lihue to try saimin and ensaymadas, but would like to explore more next time!
They have an IG account!

I have one friend that finds so much outstanding stuff at yard sales a thrift stores that it boggles my mind. $10 for an in-the-box breadmaker, $200 for a brand spanking new dishwasher that the prior owner didn’t need after he sold the house before he swapped out the old dishwasher.
I’ve never seen anybody nearly as good as Ming at knowing exactly how much something is worth and where to find it, never mind when somebody is selling something at a screamingly low price.

5 Likes

That is a gift. I imagine it takes a lot of time - not only covering a lot of what must be a lot of territory, but also learning how much things are worth.

Meanwhile, I got an electric coffee grinder for $3 over the weekend. It’s missing its “on” button, but it still works. If you turn it on with a knife.

4 Likes

Is the brand “McGiver”?:smiley:

2 Likes

LOL. It’s this. You can see the power switch on the right - that’s what mine doesn’t have.

2 Likes

You found the “on” button. Worth 3 bucks, though. When my wife’s car was stolen, the police ended up finding it; but we had to start it with a screwdriver. Still started and drove.

That Bamix for $3.50 is still eatin’ at me. Dang! Sweet deal!

4 Likes

Excellent! May all your hunts prove fruitful!!

My partner just replaced the button with a small pin (that says “Armageddon,” don’t ask) and now it works!

2 Likes

I’m envious!

How’s the big dummy, Fred? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I have been compared to Fred more than once.
Never Lamont, though that was my dad’s middle name

2 Likes

In the early 2000s or so, Kohl’s used to send out free $10 (and a couple of $20) coupons–no minimum purchase necessary. It was amazing how much stuff I could get for no additional money:

apple corers (4)
bowls (5)
cheese slicer
collapsible funnel
dishcloths (2 10-packs)
insulated lunch bag
LED flashlights (2)
oven thermometer
Pyrex measuring cup (2c)
Pyrex measuring cup (4c)
serving dishes (8)
silicone ladle
silicone spatulas (5 assorted kinds)
silicone spoons (2)
tablecloth (cost $4.27 extra)
turners (2)
whisk set

Also some clothing (three sweaters and a top, which cost about $11 extra total) and other non-cookware. Alas, at some point they figured out they weren’t really making any money from me and stopped sending me coupons.

4 Likes

Wow do you ever keep a good inventory

2 Likes

Ha! So, doing a little math, the main body of the thing is worth $3 and the power switch is worth $18.15…

Good buy!

Power will cost you!

2 Likes