Thrifting for kitchen tools

What’s the rim look like? If you hurry, you can still get into the class action lawsuit.

Huh. Hadn’t heard about that and had to look it up. Rim looks great. I don’t think it was used much and so, unlikely to have been dishwasher washed much either.

If it did fall apart on me, I’d only have $10 in damages to claim. But I don’t put pans in the dishwasher in any event so no worries as long as that’s the cause of the failures.

I don’t know how to tell D3 from D5 and apparently All Clad doesn’t mark them differently. I mean, if I had one of each I assume the heft would differ, making it apparent, but having one in isolation I can’t tell. I’ll assume it’s the less expensive D3 but even if so, quite a bargain.

It is a bargain. And if it’s the “cheaper” one (d3), it’s also the best one IMO.

You might try a tiny drop of muriatic/hydrochloric acid at the rim edge to better see the layers. Or, do run it through the DW a few times.

Congrats.

I poured myself a nice glass of sherry and read the complaint.:face_with_monocle:

Are all of All-Clad’s edges still unsealed? Even my oldest D3 is pristine, but I never have put pots and pans in the dishwasher. Silly me …I just thought that the dishwasher wouldn’t get them properly clean.

You’ve read it, but I think the key complaint is that A-C’s ad claims that the pans are dishwashable is allegedly false.

Yes. I think everything else flows from that claim.

I had a Williams-Sonoma (Meyer) Thermoclad demo pan that arrived with the outer SS cladding edges already quite sharp. That was before any of the inner edges became exposed.

It seems an unforced error to claim it’s DW-able. But still, what can the damages be? $5 and $5 millkon in fees?

I normally do not regularly go to thrift stores looking for bargains. I am anti-clutter - but please don’t hold that against me :slight_smile:

I just realized that I HAD once got a good deal at Goodwill: I bought something that was labeled a giant grapefruit squeezer for $15. It was a Staub upright chicken roaster (which by the way makes easy roast lamb). It was unused. It has become a favorite of mine to use because it is so easy to roast fatty meats with it.

2 Likes

And band-aids and tetanus shots. And antibiotics. All-clad doesn’t have a good record of honoring their warranties; it’s a complaint I see all the time in reviews. And they’ve included a bunch of gotchas anyhow. Implied warranty of merchantability is mentioned only once. I’ll sip to that.

1 Like

That’s an amazing mis-label!!

1 Like

I picked up this “induction suitable” skillet for $3 at Goodwill. When my induction burner/hob arrives, I’m going to use this skillet to learn and make my mistakes. And yes… mistakes will be made.

5 Likes

My girlfriend has been asking for egg salad, but she wants a small portion. Yesterday, I found this small chopper at Goodwill for $4 and it says “OXO” on it. From reading this forum, I’m learning that OXO is a good brand. It appears this little chopper is $37 (new), so it was a steal at $4.

Add to the fact that eggs are on sale this week and I can make a small portion of egg salad for lunch today for my own little “hungry onion”!!
:smiley:

7 Likes

So the timer on my old convection oven stopped working. I’d have to manually turn it on and off and set the timer on the big oven, so I wouldn’t forget to check on whatever I was cooking. Kind of a pain, but not that big a deal.
Well, Yesterday I went into Goodwill and found this beautiful two door convection oven for $20. It looked like it had only been used once or twice – very clean inside and out. And the timer works, PERFECTLY!!
In the process of downloading the user’s manual from Oster’s website, I found out this oven retails for just over $200 (new).
It is a little bigger than my old convection oven, but that is a plus. I did have to rearrange my counter to accommodate it, but that just meant the air fryer lost its place on the counter and now resides in the bottom of the pantry (I didn’t use that air fryer all that much, anyway).
I’ve already used this convection oven twice and I’m very impressed with it!
SCORE!!!

18 Likes

That’s a huge score! I’m so glad it also went to exactly the right person who needed it. Often when I find a score it’s because I already own the same item and know it’s value and then I have to go through the “mental justification exercise” of deciding if I could ever need to use two units at the same time, or if any extended family members would want the item, etc.

2 Likes

Thank you… yes… this is definitely a need. Mainly, I’m just cooking for two; the big oven uses so much electricity and makes the kitchen quite hot (which in the desert makes a difference).
A convection oven just makes more sense and even my 12" Lodge Cast Iron pan fits in there.
It is going to be the work horse for about 95% of my cooking/baking.

2 Likes

Congrats. I was looking at one of these at retail the other day for my beach house (which has no “real” oven). It would replace a sputtering Breville 800. I would gladly buy one, but it would have to be installed under the counter, which would require extensive shelf and storage modification.

1 Like

Congrats! I also am in the desert - Arizona. I use the short winters to make stock and other heating-up-the-kitchen stuff, when possible. In the summer, I cook a few servings at a time, and then freeze the excess. I use the microwave a lot.

The bread machine lives in the laundry room, which is away from the living area, and there is a closed door to it.

Some of my neighbors have full kitchens outside on a patio, not just a bbq grill. That is not for me, as I don’t like the well-fed rat population hanging around.

What other hot desert cooking tips could you share? I am extremely motivated to find ways to keep cooking cooler when the temp is over 110 F.

3 Likes

Similar to you, I try to use the microwave and avoid using the big oven. I do a little bit of grilling outside on an old Hibachi, but not that much.
I’ve been flirting with the idea of a solar oven. I want to try that concept by doing a DIY (simple) enclosed solar oven before investing money into a professional one. My theory is let the sun slow cook dinner outside.
I agree with you, I don’t want a full outside kitchen.

2 Likes

We dont get that much air temperature hot, but 95 degrees with 90% humidity means keeping the temperature in the kitchen manageable means everything.

I use a countertop oven all the time too.

3 Likes

Got this Sunbeam Vista (VT-40) today for $5.40, in beautiful condition and toasts bread perfectly. People on eBay etc. are selling the same anywhere from $175-$235.

No matter, my 3rd daughter needs a toaster. The only problem is the last ~ 6 inches toward the plug get too hot (IMHO) when toasting so I’ll probably replace the cord. That’ll kill resale value but I’m not looking to sell it anyway; just want it to work safely.

7 Likes