Thrifting for kitchen tools

I’ve never seen those before, clever idea.

2 Likes

My grandma and mom had them. I wonder if they’re still made?

1 Like

Yes, I found them on Amazon (Easy release cake pans). They are a little pricey (for a cake pan - in my opinion), but yes they are still made.

1 Like

Good cake pans are definitely available at thrift stores in my area, but one has to be patient. A while back I got a pair of thick aluminum non stick 8” round cake pans. More recently I found a pair of thick aluminum unlined 8” round cake pans.

I’ve seen the easy release version from time to time, but definitely less often. Should I buy them if if I d a pair? I’ll look into it.

Fwiw, I’ve used those ‘easy release’ pans with the little spinny knife thing and I found them kinda clunky.

If the bottom blade is even a little bit warped or bent, batter will seep bewteen the blade and the bottom/walls of the pan. What you’ll have then is a cake with a blade (shallowly) embedded in it.

Spinning the blade around to separate the cake from the pan then ends up cutting or gouging a thin layer off the sides or bottom of the cake.

A disk of parchment on the bottom is more reliable and less clunky.

Just my experience and opinion. YMMV.

2 Likes

And you can turn them into clocks…

2 Likes

I watched my mother use this type of cake pan for years. I’m sure hers are 50-60 years old and probably more durable than the modern ones.
If my “Thrift Store” version is half as good as mom’s; I’ll be quite happy!!
If they flop, I’m only out $2 and I’ll go back to buttered parchment paper.
I’ll report back after I try them.

1 Like

Great find! I’d swap out parchment for that swiper on the base in a heartbeat, it always seems so wasteful (and if a little cake gets shaved off the base — cook’s treat!)

1 Like

Those are so cool. I have my grandmother’s cake pans like that…

1 Like

You’re too funny!

Was excited to finally come across one of these at my local thrift store
I

6 Likes

Very nice. I’d be happy to find a TP. I’m using some off-brand that takes almost 4 seconds to finalize, whereas I read the TPs are done in 2 or so?

Was it really 77°F in your kitchen?

Probably not actually 77 degrees. Maybe it was discarded due to miscalibration. I haven’t tested it on any food or against another thermometer, so maybe I celebrated too early.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Call Thermoworks. I bet they’ll recalibrate for you if their DIY instructions for an icewater bath don’t work. Their customer service is top notch.

Its 77 in my kitchen right now. Is that bad?

1 Like

I was having real trouble changing the batteries in my ChefAlarm. I emailed them for help. They were beyond fantastic, even offering to send a new one if I couldn’t get my problem resolved. Excellent customer service.

And yes, I got the batteries changed … User clumsiness :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Not a problem if you like like it. Too warm for me, though. My daughter in Boca liked it, though. Now she’s up in Bradenton where it’s not (quite) so warm this time of year.

Time for a visit!

Mostly its the equilibrium between comfort and giving thr power company an internal organ…im not too far from her…the cool front a few weeks ago was nice!

1 Like

Thrifting I got this All Clad stainless 10 inch pan today for $10. It’s essentially in perfect condition (slight grating scratches on the bottom, so it’s been used once or twice; interior is pretty pristine).

I don’t have any idea as to its usual cost. Although it has “All Clad” stamped where the handle/panside meets, there’s no indication of whether this might be a “consumer” line or not (this is not one of the All Clad where there’s a copper line around the perimeter). Still, I think it’s a good deal.

P.S. Also got a Zylizz garlic press for free, I guess. It wasn’t marked with price and the All Clad pan was marked as $14, but the store had a “20% off sale” and I can’t make it compute to where I paid $10.40 for both unless the Zylizz was free. I broke my old garlic press about 10 years ago and haven’t needed one, but I figure cheap is cheap so why not.

5 Likes